Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla called. What does it mean?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In October, I ordered a model Y, LR AWD, 18” wheels (later changed by Tesla to 19” wheels), black paint. A few weeks ago, the online account asked me to fill in delivery location (NY), registration, financing and trade-in information. I did.

Yesterday, the phone rang and caller ID said ‘Tesla’! My heart skipped a beat. I was asked something like: Do I still want my Tesla? I immediately said YES. I tried to ask: What does this mean? No answer. I asked again. I would be contacted.

So, what could this call from Tesla mean to my prospects of actually getting the car in a reasonable amount of time?

Given, I have the following perceptions...
  • I have not seen any black paint model Ys being delivered
  • I have not seen any LR AWD, non-performance, model Ys with 19” wheels being delivered
  • U.S. production is stopped
  • I suspect all deliveries in NY have stopped
... I suspect I should not get my hopes up.

This is my first experience with Tesla. Are my ’perceptions’ above valid?
Any thoughts on how I should think about this surprise call from Tesla would be appreciated.

I got a call from Tesla Nevada today too. I have an order in since March last year for a Black/Black LR AWD FSD 19". She advised me that there are no Black cars available and would I be interested in changing colors. Otherwise it would be an indeterminate time for Black availability (obviously requiring the factory to restart). Since I have a trade in offer that I am worried about going down (a lot) I decided to switch to MSM. She forwarded the info to the Inside Delivery Advisor assigned to me (I got his contact info) who would try to locate a car for me. She said expect to hear within the next 3-4 days. We'll see.

I got a text a few days ago.

"Good afternoon, hope all is well. I'm reaching out to see if you had any questions regarding your Model Y order."

When I told him I had an RWD on reserve, they just said, unknown when we're making this

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
Got an email today as well, from our local Tesla store. I guess they're just checking in ... earlier I got a call asking me if I will be willing to get a different configuration, to get the car sooner. I didn't so that's where we left it.

Also got a call today and a follow up email. Couldnt tell me when ish I would get the car. email below. I am in the drafting contract stage for some time now.

"Someone from our Inside Delivery team will be reaching out to you as we approach your delivery date! In the mean time, if you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to reach out to me and I would be more than happy to assist you."

I've been lurking on the site to see if anyone has had a similar experience. I ordered my black Model Y, LR AWD 19" Gemini wheels, in late December. I received a phone call from Lauren in Nevada on Thursday March 26th asking if I was still interested. We spoke briefly about the Coronavirus and she said several orders have been canceled due to it. After saying YES I was very interested and lucky to still be working, I was told I would be hearing back from someone and to expect delivery in 5 days. The following Monday (3/30) I received a text asking me to sign my title (I'm trading in a 2012 Prius Plug-In). I haven't heard a word since then. I've left Lauren at Tesla 2 messages and have never heard back.
I guess my question is, is this common? Am I being too anxious and just need to relax?

I got a call from Tesla Nevada today too. I have an order in since March last year for a Black/Black LR AWD FSD 19". She advised me that there are no Black cars available and would I be interested in changing colors. Otherwise it would be an indeterminate time for Black availability (obviously requiring the factory to restart). Since I have a trade in offer that I am worried about going down (a lot) I decided to switch to MSM. She forwarded the info to the Inside Delivery Advisor assigned to me (I got his contact info) who would try to locate a car for me. She said expect to hear within the next 3-4 days. We'll see.
Good luck. I hope they find you a car. I would have been OK if they told me if I changed from Black to another color they would try to find me a car. But, currently I have no such offer and no 'delivery advisor' to communicate with.

Let us know how it works out for you.

I had a similar experience with my MY. I received a phone call and a text. I thought they were just trying to get me to complete my paperwork so I could officially get in line. I stopped by a dealership and the rep told me I was really lucky and it sounded like my delivery would be soon. Calls, texts went unanswered, but then I listened to the recording more carefully and it said to press 0,1 or 2 (can’t remember which) to talk to another delivery rep. I did that, got ahold of someone and they told me I would indeed be getting my blue, black interior, performance, awd, sd, 19” Gemini wheels by the end of the month. Picked it up on the 26th.

I had a similar experience with my MY. I received a phone call and a text. I thought they were just trying to get me to complete my paperwork so I could officially get in line. I stopped by a dealership and the rep told me I was really lucky and it sounded like my delivery would be soon. Calls, texts went unanswered, but then I listened to the recording more carefully and it said to press 0,1 or 2 (can’t remember which) to talk to another delivery rep. I did that, got ahold of someone and they told me I would indeed be getting my blue, black interior, performance, awd, sd, 19” Gemini wheels by the end of the month. Picked it up on the 26th.
Wait, whats the timeline? When did you get the first call? When did you get the VIN?

Ordered 2/26, notified 3/9 picked up 3/20. I think the VIN was 3/18 and paid that day. I waited 3 months to order as my friend who has both a MS and MX advised I not get one of the first ones. I was shocked when I got the call as I thought it wouldn’t happen until the fall, but obviously went through with it. Yes, I do feel guilty....

Ordered 2/26, notified 3/9 picked up 3/20. I think the VIN was 3/18 and paid that day. I waited 3 months to order as my friend who has both a MS and MX advised I not get one of the first ones. I was shocked when I got the call as I thought it wouldn’t happen until the fall, but obviously went through with it. Yes, I do feel guilty....

Dido......White AWD ordered 2/1, paid 3/21 took curbside delivery 3/31. Once they hand you over to the "local person" it's pretty much done. My VIN was 27xx. I thought this was a Oct. event, the virus made it a March event. The trigger on mine was turning down the trade it and going to CarMax to sell. The problem now is the sales price of a used car to CarMax is dropping fast. I lost $1000 in 10 days. Yes I too felt very guilty, but having driven it for 3 days and still employed I feel better.

Reactions: Jaycha2
Dido......White AWD ordered 2/1, paid 3/21 took curbside delivery 3/31. Once they hand you over to the "local person" it's pretty much done. My VIN was 27xx. I thought this was a Oct. event, the virus made it a March event. The trigger on mine was turning down the trade it and going to CarMax to sell. The problem now is the sales price of a used car to CarMax is dropping fast. I lost $1000 in 10 days. Yes I too felt very guilty, but having driven it for 3 days and still employed I feel better.

...and good way to justify (for me) is just go configure a new Jeep Rubicon. You get to 52K pretty quick

In October, I ordered a model Y, LR AWD, 18” wheels (later changed by Tesla to 19” wheels), black paint. A few weeks ago, the online account asked me to fill in delivery location (NY), registration, financing and trade-in information. I did.

Yesterday, the phone rang and caller ID said ‘Tesla’! My heart skipped a beat. I was asked something like: Do I still want my Tesla? I immediately said YES. I tried to ask: What does this mean? No answer. I asked again. I would be contacted.

So, what could this call from Tesla mean to my prospects of actually getting the car in a reasonable amount of time?

Given, I have the following perceptions...
  • I have not seen any black paint model Ys being delivered
  • I have not seen any LR AWD, non-performance, model Ys with 19” wheels being delivered
  • U.S. production is stopped
  • I suspect all deliveries in NY have stopped
... I suspect I should not get my hopes up.

This is my first experience with Tesla. Are my ’perceptions’ above valid?
Any thoughts on how I should think about this surprise call from Tesla would be appreciated.

Aside from the fact that I'm in NC and I ordered in November, I have experienced the same thing as you.