Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cam Quirks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday was the 1st day I gave Sentry Mode a try with my newly formatted FAT32 128GB SSD

What causes the TeslaCam to start recording at some arbitrary location along the route while I am driving.
The recording continued till I stopped/parked/ and exited the car as expected.
During the next portion of my trip, again at some arbitrary location along the route I'm driving, the cam started recording.

FYI: I accumulated 3.7GB of this type of traffic video from all 3 cameras yesterday.

How long were you driving for? Was it more than one hour? The TeslaCam feature only keeps track of the most recent hour of driving. If you want to save a specific event you need to tap on the TeslaCam icon on the screen and it will save the last 10 minutes permanently.

How long were your test drives? The material in RecentClips gets rolled over at an hour, as I recall. So, if you went for a 90-minute drive, you would no longer have the first 30 minutes of video, which might give the impression of starting at an arbitrary location.

BTW, that's all in reference to dash cam, not Sentry Mode, which would only apply when parked.

The way I understand it if you have the dashcam enabled then it records continuously and keeps overwrites anything older than an hour. What you are likely seeing is where you were an hour before you parked. If you want to save video from a certain incident etc. then you have to press the dashcam icon and it saves the last 10 minutes or something to a different file.

How long were you driving for? Was it more than one hour? The TeslaCam feature only keeps track of the most recent hour of driving. If you want to save a specific event you need to tap on the TeslaCam icon on the screen and it will save the last 10 minutes permanently.

That now is starting to make sense. I see the time and date stamped mp4 files,each ~59sec long clips X 10 clips ....thanks!

The way I understand it if you have the dashcam enabled then it records continuously and keeps overwrites anything older than an hour. What you are likely seeing is where you were an hour before you parked. If you want to save video from a certain incident etc. then you have to press the dashcam icon and it saves the last 10 minutes or something to a different file.

I had no intention of saving the driving video, But suppose I had wanted to send it to someone, then being able to save only the last 10 min. may not be enough to describe a scenic road trip.

TeslaCam is not what you want to record trip videos with. Not meant for that. Useful for catching footage of accidents and vandalism.

I suppose you could buy a bunch of cheap USB flash drives that you could switch out for coverage during driving. Or If you have the ability in car or where you stop to transfer the videos in RecentClips folder (the driving buffer) to a computer device with an appropriate adapter, you could I suppose compile something with that but more of a pain. As mentioned, wasn’t implemented for that purpose

I had no intention of saving the driving video, But suppose I had wanted to send it to someone, then being able to save only the last 10 min. may not be enough to describe a scenic road trip.

yeah it's intended for CYA for accidents or just general security reasons... if you want something that'll record (and save long term) hours at a time for general sharing you probably want a dedicated (and higher resolution) dashcam with a large memory card instead.