Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Camera Monitor System (CMS) News...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Camera Monitor System (CMS) to replace mirrors may become reality...

Tesla's no-side-mirror approach becomes feasible as NHTSA ponders camera-based systems

I live in the U.K and drive regularly in Europe, mainly Germany where I am opening an office
as soon as I can after the current situation ends, though will wait a few months after lockdown is lifted.
With a range of even 500 miles I could easily drive to the part of West Germany where I intend to open
an office without having to stop, though I will stop at least a couple of times in any case. It would be much
more convenient for me to not have to stop to charge the vehicle and cheaper for me to charge when I
reach my destination.

I understand U.S safety regulations are strict, with good reason. However, even if the U.K does not allow
CMS to be used instead of mirrors initially, this will change if allowed in the U.S as we usually follow such
U.S regulations after some time depending upon it's success in the U.S.

I do believe this will become a reality at some point in the future. Side mirrors are ugly, not aerodynamic
and make parking in U.K garages a pain, only made easier since mirrors can be folded. Even when side
mirrors are folded, they still stick out somewhat and are still ugly.

The Roadster however is very beautiful indeed without side mirrors and is certainly the future of cars to come.
I do hope Tesla can prove their CMS system is safe and the U.S allows this which will literally change the
shape of all cars to come in the near future...

Reactions: ICUDoc