TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Cameras as Dash Cams

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by M109Rider, Jul 4, 2018.

1. M109Rider

M109Rider Member

I thought I heard whispers of Tesla turning on the cameras to double as Dash Cams ?
    I tried searching, but couldn’t find anything.
    Is this accurate information.
    That would be great if so.
    Which cameras would the system use?
    Would they be on while driving, or just when parked, or both.

2. scrapps

scrapps Member

I don’t think any of this information has been released yet, so any answers do your questions would just be speculation.

3. M109Rider

M109Rider Member

Ok. Not sure where I heard that then.
    Clearly I heard wrong.
    It would be nice though.

4. scrapps

scrapps Member

Oh no, I believe Elon has tweeted a reply to someone about the feature coming, I just don't think we have any of the details you were asking about.

5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Yes. Here's the twitter thread:

Twitter

6. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

I think an interesting question is will "uploading dashcam footage to the cloud" be a feature specific to the "premium" LTE/connectivity plan... I expect that to be a yes but we'll see.

7. M109Rider

M109Rider Member

Where would the footage be stored anyway ?
    I know current dash cams have a memory card. Does the model 3 console have memory capabilities. ?

8. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

Given it's running a slew of complex software including maps, AP, etc...and that is capable of updating over the air, it obviously has to have local storage capabilities.

Not sure the specs are published anywhere though regarding how much extra space it has in the model 3 though...

And I'm sure it could be programmed to use one of the cars USB ports with a USB key if they wanted to offer additional local storage for cam footage rather than cloud storage.

9. M109Rider

M109Rider Member

Hhmmm.
    Maybe it would be better if it just linked to your phone, and your phone could save a small looped bit of footage via an app.
    Could notify you if someone touches the car too. :)
    If he could rig the car to send a voice notification, followed by a small amount of volts (from the battery of course) to the perp.
    :)
    Okay, took that too far, but a dash cam linked live to your phone would be cool. !