Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cameras as Dash Cams

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I heard whispers of Tesla turning on the cameras to double as Dash Cams ?
I tried searching, but couldn’t find anything.
Is this accurate information.
That would be great if so.
Which cameras would the system use?
Would they be on while driving, or just when parked, or both.

Where would the footage be stored anyway ?
I know current dash cams have a memory card. Does the model 3 console have memory capabilities. ?

Given it's running a slew of complex software including maps, AP, etc...and that is capable of updating over the air, it obviously has to have local storage capabilities.

Not sure the specs are published anywhere though regarding how much extra space it has in the model 3 though...

And I'm sure it could be programmed to use one of the cars USB ports with a USB key if they wanted to offer additional local storage for cam footage rather than cloud storage.

Hhmmm.
Maybe it would be better if it just linked to your phone, and your phone could save a small looped bit of footage via an app.
Could notify you if someone touches the car too. :)
If he could rig the car to send a voice notification, followed by a small amount of volts (from the battery of course) to the perp.
:)
Okay, took that too far, but a dash cam linked live to your phone would be cool. !