TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla CAN bus logging/display with Raspberry Pi

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ben.krasnow, Feb 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ben.krasnow

ben.krasnow Member

I posted a video about my project in which I use a Raspberry Pi to display realtime CAN bus data in the car's own web browser.

Let me know if you have any questions. -Ben

Shortcut to the links:

I show how to collect detailed CAN bus data from a Tesla Model S, and display it in the car's own web browser!

Complete Raspberry Pi with CAN bus shield and 12V buck converter: Raspberry Pi 3 System With CAN Bus Interface

Diagnostic connector pinout (scroll through the images):
    EVTV Motor Verks Store: Tesla Model S and Model X CAN Monitor, OEM Electric Vehicle Items, TeslaCANKit

Tesla diagnostic connector: Tesla Diagnostic Cable For MS/MX (Sept 2015 and up) - Bare Wire Version

RPi CAN bus tutorial: CANned Pi: (Part1)

Get node.js installed on the RPi: Guide to Installing Node.js on a Raspberry Pi | thisDaveJ

I used socket.io, which is a module that installs into node.js: socket.io

Basic sequence to setup the server on the Pi:
    sudo ip link set can0 type can bitrate 500000 listen-only on
    sudo ip link set can0 up

candump -cae can0,0:0,#FFFFFFFF

candump -cae can0,0:0,#FFFFFFFF | grep 106 | awk -Winteractive '{ print $10}' | node app.js

Tesla CAN bus reverse engineering: wk057's SkieNET

I will post the node.js code on my blog:
    Ben Krasnow

• Like x 6
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

Looking forward to part 2

3. Skysurfer

Skysurfer Member

Very nice work. Thank you for posting this! I have been searching for a decent Linux CAN setup for doing analysis on my Model S. This will certainly improve over the current Android setup I have and looks like I may be able to feed in some old captures I have for better analysis.

Looking forward to the ultimate graphing/performance monitor you are working on!

Wonder what the best solution is to keep the Raspberry Pi firewalled from the internet connection? Maybe acting as a bridge or some other clever routing manipulation can accomplish this.

4. Drewflux

Drewflux Member

Great work Ben. I enjoyed your first video. I have a question on getting the web browser to connect. After the initial connection, could you remove the usb tethering?