TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Canada Part Warranty for Touch screen

Discussion in 'Model S' started by T3MTLCanada, Sep 24, 2020.

1. T3MTLCanada

T3MTLCanada Member

#1 T3MTLCanada, Sep 24, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    Hi,
    my MCU was change last year in July 2019 CPO under warranty.
    I believe my MCU is going to die soon (Out of warranry). I just did a new software upgrade and it stuck again at 80%. SC try to push to redownload it and still stuck at 80%. Last previous software upgrade it got stuck, was repush and got completed. Not this time. Everything still back to normal. I can drive, use radio, fan, etc. just unable to do software upgrade. Only the right scroll wheel and 3G is disable, but WIFI work.

I check on tesla website: Vehicle Warranty
    it said this: Touchscreen and Media Control Unit: 2 years or 40,000 km, whichever comes first

i check the detail on this PDF: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-parts-accessories-body-repair-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

first page said: EFFECTIVE DATE: JULY 2, 2020

does it mean, my MCU does not apply to the warranty since it got replace last year 2019?

We have something call legal warranty in Quebec that state "The legal warranty says that, if a merchant sells you something that isn’t of good quality, durable, safe and in line with any expectations created by the merchant, you can, among other things, get a refund or have the product replaced. The legal warranty also protects consumers against hidden defects." but It take time to get thing resolve. Will only use this as last resort.

2. BCCA

BCCA Member

The warranty section you cited is under "Parts, Body and Paint Repair Limited Warranty". The first paragraph of this section states "Repair or replacement of Tesla-branded parts purchased directly from Tesla, over-the-counter, online or purchased and installed by Tesla Service or a Tesla Body Shop, may be covered under the Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty." Therefore the MCU you are asking about is not covered by this section, since it was replaced under warranty and not purchased by you. In general, parts replaced under warranty are covered by the remainder of the vehicle warranty or by a time and mileage limit (ex. 12 months or 24,000 miles), whichever is longer.