Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Canceled Charging Accessories Order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model 3 standard range VIN and expect to pick up the vehicle in about 2 weeks. I ordered a wall charger, mobile connector and J1772 adapter on 4/27 and just got an email today that the entire accessory order was canceled. It doesn’t show up at all in order history anymore. I emailed them and am waiting on a response. Has this happened to anyone else? I live in a rural area and have no other way to charge without driving over an hour to the nearest L2 at a hotel.

Welcome to TMC. I havent seen a lot of threads about outright cancelation of orders. Usually more around "shipping slow" or "why does it show that label is printed and it hasnt gone anywhere?".

Throwing stuff at the wall, did you check whatever credit card you ordered through to ensure you actually see a successful charge for those items? If your card declined or didnt charge for some reason, I could see the order getting canceled.

Yes the charge was there the day after. I went ahead and ordered a wall connector through Best Buy since I was told it’s the same thing. The Tesla dealer implied the charging accessories had to come through them. Any recommendations for a mobile charger? I ordered a Lectron J1772 to Tesla adapter.

Why?

What did you actually order from best buy?
Because Tesla canceled my order. I ordered a Tesla Gen3 wall charger from Best Buy to be delivered before I go get the car. I live in a somewhat rural area and the only options for charging on the go is an L2 charger at a hotel and two stalls owned by the utility. I shouldn’t exceed 200 miles in a day but in the event I need to detour due to weather I need the ability to add a few miles when I’m in that town.

Because Tesla canceled my order. I ordered a Tesla Gen3 wall charger from Best Buy to be delivered before I go get the car. I live in a somewhat rural area and the only options for charging on the go is an L2 charger at a hotel and two stalls owned by the utility. I shouldn’t exceed 200 miles in a day but in the event I need to detour due to weather I need the ability to add a few miles when I’m in that town.

Ok... but the car will come with a J1772 to tesla adapter (they still provide that) so what is the reason for the lectron adapter you bought?

Seriously?? They (Raleigh NC) Tesla office told me point blank no charging equipment comes with the car and gave me the list of all three items to order. I probably don’t need a mobile charger so didn’t worry too much about that.

Seriously?? They (Raleigh NC) Tesla office told me point blank no charging equipment comes with the car and gave me the list of all three items to order. I probably don’t need a mobile charger so didn’t worry too much about that.

I mean, we should probably verify that we are talking about you getting a brand new car, not a used one from Tesla inventory. If you ordered a new model 3, it should come with the J1772 adapter. It no longer comes with a mobile connector (mobile charger some people call it).

Reactions: brianbcc
I’ll have to ask them tomorrow. Would that be in the purchase agreement anywhere?

Yes it’s a new Model 3 standard range.
when you go to order the J1772 adapter on teslas website, it still explicitly says it comes with every vehicle:

Screen Shot 2023-05-01 at 9.03.00 PM.png

Reactions: brianbcc
If you are using the Tesla Wall Connector (TWC) for the Tesla Mobile Connector (TMC), either plugs directly into the car and the J-1772 adapter is not used.

The TWC is a hard-wire installation;
The TMC plugs into a variety of wall receptacles using the correct adapter bought from Tesla for ~ $40

Check out this link to get up to speed

-----
Your other choice(s) are to buy a J-1772 EVSE, and then you will use the (supplied with every Tesla) J-1772 - Tesla adapter to plug into the car. There are not many good reasons nowadays to go this route. I did, because I own a non-Tesla EV

Last edited: