Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Canceled my Order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not looking for pity here, just a PSA and some help. Ordered a MYLR In Sept. Got a VIN, scheduled pickup at Maplewood 3/28. Financing secured, and last night the car disappears from the app and the webpage.

Without my knowledge or confirmation my contact phone number, which was correct when we ordered, i know because went back and checked the document, was switched to a number I’ve never seen before. That number was texted by SA and responded that he wanted to cancel my order. I called that guy, he was very nice. Had no idea why he was getting the messages, thought they were spam, and so replied to cancel.

Tesla already gave my car to someone else/another service center and at this point my only option was to reorder. I’m told they are working to improve my delivery time to April/May and pricing to original, or to attempt to secure an inventory car that pops up. Currently no additional compensation is being offered because “my account” canceled the order.
I write this to inform you all the CHECK YOUR CONTACT INFO regularly. Especially close to delivery. The other number said he only started getting texts recently so it may have changed as little as a month ago, or it could have back in September.

I’m also writing this to ask if you happen to see a:

MYLR
Midnight Silver Metallic
Black interior
5 seat
Inductions
With Tow hitch(or without)

That you let me know so I can forward it to my advisor in hopes of securing a car as soon as possible.

In the "good old days" a company that pulled this type of shenanigans would not have stayed in business very long.
I find it sad the way they walk all over us, and us having to accept their behavior in order to maintain our place in
line to receive our order.
Believe me, if there was a better alternative out there I'd cancel my order immediately, but the times we
are in sure makes things difficult to buy any electric car, especially without paying a large "market adjustment".
I am waiting to hear from my local Hyundai dealer who told me he is expecting a few Ioniq 5 SEL's in mid April.
If they do become available to me, it will be adios Elon, which he is probably hoping most of us do that have
orders in at much lower prices. And I know with Hyundai, I won't have to dread pickup day and worrying about
door gaps or other issues. Hyundai QC is far above Tesla, so I won't regret moving on.
I don't really take any long trips, so the charging infrastructure will not effect me negatively.
I will just do my charging at home just like I did with my first Model Y.
If the Volvo C40 Recharge had a longer range, I'd buy one in a minute. Sure beats the Y in the looks department.
It is priced at $60k which seems fair considering Volvo quality. I believe EPA range is rated at or just under 250 mi.

Last edited:
In the "good old days" a company that pulled this type of shenanigans would not have stayed in business very long.

Yeah, but we ain't in those good old days anymore. Create a time machine, and let me know when you make it. Till then you buy what you want with your money, and someone else buys what they want with theirs.

I agree it’s unfortunate they can get away with this type of thing and still make the sale. We do a lot of cross state trips so the SuC network and AP, along with tow capacity were big factors in our decision. No one else has that capability around here.

To their credit they have been working quickly to resolve this. Original pricing was honored as well as credits to our new order for the supercharger referral miles and one year of free premium connectivity our original order had. EDD was moved from October to June which is a start, but still too far off.

Reactions: croman and WhiteWi
I could only speculate that someone from the inside (Tesla) had access to change your contact info from the back end to make it appear that "your account" had cancelled the order so he/she can give the car to someone else. Very suspicious.
Did you also speculate in that magic eight ball why the hell would someone do that? C'mon... let's not throw crap on the wall and make up conspiracies here.

Why do some people assume that it's 'sketchy' or some sort of conspiracy? Maybe it was just an honest mistake.....
I'm not saying it was any type of conspiracy but it also wasn't accidental. There's only 2 ways to change personal information (customer or rep) and outside of that the only other way would be a software glitch in which case multiple accounts would have been affected. But if it was a software glitch what are the odds it would have been replaced with an actual phone number? Usually when that happens it's all zeros or something like that. Very strange indeed.

I'm not saying it was any type of conspiracy but it also wasn't accidental. There's only 2 ways to change personal information (customer or rep) and outside of that the only other way would be a software glitch in which case multiple accounts would have been affected. But if it was a software glitch what are the odds it would have been replaced with an actual phone number? Usually when that happens it's all zeros or something like that. Very strange indeed.
I mean, someone could have been pulling up a list of customers getting ready for delivery and accidentally changed something. It in fact CAN be accidental.

I mean, someone could have been pulling up a list of customers getting ready for delivery and accidentally changed something. It in fact CAN be accidental.
So someone pulled up a list of customers and magically clicked on his name, clicked the edit button, clicked on the phone number field, typed a combination of 10 different numbers and hit save..."accidentally"? Right.

To add some detail to my original post for everyone’s speculative pleasure, the person who’s number appeared in my account had been at this same store and test drove a model Y last fall. He did not put an order in for one however.

His number also was not even close to mine, nor was his first or last name.

1648241527882.png

Not looking for pity here, just a PSA and some help. Ordered a MYLR In Sept. Got a VIN, scheduled pickup at Maplewood 3/28. Financing secured, and last night the car disappears from the app and the webpage.

Without my knowledge or confirmation my contact phone number, which was correct when we ordered, i know because went back and checked the document, was switched to a number I’ve never seen before. That number was texted by SA and responded that he wanted to cancel my order. I called that guy, he was very nice. Had no idea why he was getting the messages, thought they were spam, and so replied to cancel.

Tesla already gave my car to someone else/another service center and at this point my only option was to reorder. I’m told they are working to improve my delivery time to April/May and pricing to original, or to attempt to secure an inventory car that pops up. Currently no additional compensation is being offered because “my account” canceled the order.
I write this to inform you all the CHECK YOUR CONTACT INFO regularly. Especially close to delivery. The other number said he only started getting texts recently so it may have changed as little as a month ago, or it could have back in September.

It's only 3/25 (and scheduled pickup is 3/28), so your car should not have actually been given to someone else yet.
Seems to me that since it is clearly their mistake that the contact number got changed, it would be easy to re-assign the car back to you.

Anyway... sorry you have to deal with this stuff...

So someone pulled up a list of customers and magically clicked on his name, clicked the edit button, clicked on the phone number field, typed a combination of 10 different numbers and hit save..."accidentally"? Right.
Yep, I had something similar happen with T-Mobile. A rep typed the wrong area code in when a customer was getting changes made to their account, and opened my account instead. They changed the plan on my account, as well as some other stuff. It took me almost a year to get the changes corrected. (Which required filing a complaint with the BBB and getting to the office of the president.) In the end they made it right, but it took a lot of calls and waiting...