Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla cancelling service appointments...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what exactly does service now handle?

Last night in changing lanes on a freeway in dark conditions I “fell” off of some height difference and slammed the underbody of the car against a low divider (half curb height in the upper side, I think - only saw it briefly when slowing down to the shoulder and looking in the rear dashcam).

Whatever it was hit with enough force to bounce my car back up...

So, I scheduled service to have the car lifted up so somebody can loo and make sure the underbody hasn’t been gashed open, the battery is still intact, etc...

I get this:

Hi Mr. *****;

This is Tesla Virtual Service reaching out regarding your upcoming service visit. We are so sorry to hear about your accident. Tesla service centers do not perform any paint or body repair. You will want to reach out to one of the Tesla certified body shops. Here is the link to locate one in your area, including Tesla Body Repair Center in San Jose:
Body Shop Support
We will cancel your appointment as there isn't anything the service center will be able to do for you.

Thank you,

Tesla Service

The under panel came loose right after I bought this car when it scraped on a curb as we have some sharply angled driveways around here... (I have since learned to approach those at odd angles) so back in October I did take it to service, they lifted it up, and said all was fine. 5 minute check.

This new event is more likely a possibility real issue if there is damage. Has policy or purpose of service changed?

Would I be wiser going to the third party mechanic anyway? I am a bit wary of possible fake fees and having someone claim I need to replace everything in the car except for the cup holder just to get money out of me...

This sounds like a canned response from someone who may have misunderstood your description. Have you checked under the car if you can see any gashes/damage on the battery casing? A 3rd party shop will certainly not be able to deal with that. I'd call service and explain it to them.

Reactions: dwalme
They tagged this as accident damage and closed the ticket. I think I would just show up to the service center and ask them to lift it up and do a quick inspection to see if everything is OK. They are more likely to take care of you if you show up then if you open a ticket. But in general their policy is not to handle accident related damage at the service centers. Although their latest email claiming they are doing parts replacement at the service centers seems to contradict that...so who knows what their latest thinking is.

Reactions: Bet TSLA
I would not show up to a service center unscheduled and expect them to up your car on the lift. Lift time is very valuable to the service center. The best thing to do is ask them to see if they can help you jack up the car and visually inspect it. Most likely you hit the frame railing that's surrounding the battery and sits lower than the battery pack.

Reactions: Ludalicious
I would not show up to a service center unscheduled and expect them to up your car on the lift. Lift time is very valuable to the service center. The best thing to do is ask them to see if they can help you jack up the car and visually inspect it. Most likely you hit the frame railing that's surrounding the battery and sits lower than the battery pack.

I ran over a curb that was sticking out at the exit from a coffee stand and scratched up the rail/jack point on the passenger side of the car. Took it to Tesla and they said there were superficial scratches. The actual black rail part is pretty scratched up but they seemed to think there was nothing needing to be done.

Many SCs in California can barely keep up with warranty issues and manufacturing defects, let alone handle accidents. Though I agree that their response isn't ideal for a customer with a new 50k$+ car (I would also be frustrated), they need to draw the line somewhere....

Reactions: Bert66
Funny
I was at the service center for our x and tech made appointment for my 3 due to suspension recall I never bothered with. Day of appointment, it disappeared from my account. I called and they had no explanation why it was canceled, told me to bring in, she actually scheduled.

Costa Mesa service no longer answers their phones and rarely responds to emails. Appointments are a month out. If you need something right away you just need to show up. They understand. Perhaps it’s different at other locations.

Here at the Raleigh service center they don't answer phones or emails (and have signs on all the doors in caps going THIS IS NOT SALES- SALES IS DOWN THE STREET), but scheduling appointments in the app still gets you in within a few days.

Just show up remains the only way to get something now (and given the relief on the one guy working the fronts face when I told him I had an appointment apparently a lot of folks are doing the just showing up thing)

Here at the Raleigh service center they don't answer phones or emails (and have signs on all the doors in caps going THIS IS NOT SALES- SALES IS DOWN THE STREET), but scheduling appointments in the app still gets you in within a few days.

Just show up remains the only way to get something now (and given the relief on the one guy working the fronts face when I told him I had an appointment apparently a lot of folks are doing the just showing up thing)

A few days is reasonable. Costa Mesa was running 30 days although I just checked and it shows I can get in on July 14th so it is down to two weeks. A friend took delivery of an SR and within 2 days it began leaking coolant. He made an appointment that was several weeks out so I told him to just show up. There’s no way I’d want to drive around with leaking coolant for several weeks. They took care of him and had it fixed the next day so it all worked out fine. Sometimes you can wait...sometimes you just have to show up and get it done.

Last night in changing lanes on a freeway in dark conditions I “fell” off of some height difference and
slammed the underbody of the car against a low divider

I would recommend be be very careful with concrete parking wheel stops:

The following design is very bad.
- The concrete wheel stop is in the center of the lane, so mostly the front spoiler will hit it,
- And if the spoiler is high enough, then the wheel stop might touch and damage the under body of the car.

This is a parking lot hidden danger!

20160226_132910edited.jpg

The following design is nicer:
- the wheel stop will certainly be hit by wheels of the car instead of the front spoiler.
- The use of wood will also make less possible damage to a car.

Stop-roues-2.png

The following design uses rubber on top of the concrete wheel stopper to prevent damage of vehicle

img1.gif
img2.gif

• Informative
Reactions: SDRick and TORQU3
So it looks like the consensus is that I should push to have a service center look. If it’s damage and they tell me to go to a repair place I can accept that... but I did want experts to look first.

And yeah I think what I hit was about the height of the curb dividers in the photo there, with the added note of one side being a little lower than the other. I drove past the same spot during daylight hours yesterday and got a look and it’s at a point where the road splits into two lanes but is way before the split.

I want to be sure I am safe ti drive this thing still...

I am very wary of mechanics after two decades if my mother’s “regular mechanic” who seems to have managed to get regular repeat business out of her for the same cars... reminds me if a dentist I went to when I was in my 20s who told me my teeth needed a full row of crowns, top and bottom... when I had always been told I had great teeth. Told him I would think about it and the next dentist I went to said I didn’t have a single cavity...