Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla cancels appt [due to lack of parts - upper control arm]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I scheduled a home appt to rotate my tires and I reported a vibration/squeak when going over bumps which seems to be in rear right side of car. Appt was for tomorrow afternoon at my home. Just received a text from Tesla Service that they are rescheduling my appt until next week because they do not have parts. Do not needs part for a tire rotation, and the squeak/vibration I assumed would try to be diagnosed. Has this happened to anyone else?

Edit: So I just heard from the service center, they think it the upper control arms and they do not have the part(s) in stock. I texted back and asked if this is something that can be done by the field tech up my driveway or does it have to go into the service center.

Edit Edit: Just heard back from tech support, they said the repair can be done in the field at my home.

Last edited:
Reactions: MaskedRacerX
I'm getting that creak now. The sound doesn't bother me. For how long can I ignore it?
For as long as you want to maintain your sanity (the sound will get obnoxiously loud), or until the control arm bearings fail and the wheel caves in (time TBD).

I scheduled a home appt to rotate my tires and I reported a vibration/squeak when going over bumps which seems to be in rear right side of car. Appt was for tomorrow afternoon at my home. Just received a text from Tesla Service that they are rescheduling my appt until next week because they do not have parts. [...] Edit Edit: Just heard back from tech support, they said the repair can be done in the field at my home.

Beware of the "at home" alternative, as Tesla's mobile tech will NOT be replacing your control arms, but rather just injecting grease into the damaged ball joint to quiet it down, for a time. It's a band aid, not a fix.
Tesla tried the same trick with me last fall, and I had to insist on the proper in-SC replacement. Took some time (~4 weeks, if I recall correctly), but it got done. Should be good for another ~30K miles ;-).

HTH,
a

For as long as you want to maintain your sanity (the sound will get obnoxiously loud), or until the control arm bearings fail and the wheel caves in (time TBD).

Beware of the "at home" alternative, as Tesla's mobile tech will NOT be replacing your control arms, but rather just injecting grease into the damaged ball joint to quiet it down, for a time. It's a band aid, not a fix.
Tesla tried the same trick with me last fall, and I had to insist on the proper in-SC replacement. Took some time (~4 weeks, if I recall correctly), but it got done. Should be good for another ~30K miles ;-).

HTH,
a
I hear ya. I have to wonder why they canceled my appt then telling me that they did have the parts if they were just going to grease it up?

Shoot. SC is 160 miles away.

Any estimate on how long the bandaid will last?

Hard to say without observing the damage on the current set of ball joints and the rubber boot. Squealing == metal-on-metal contact and wear, that will not be restored by packing it with grease.
Could be weeks, could be a year. But if the old grease leaked out, the new one will meet the same end.

I hear ya. I have to wonder why they canceled my appt then telling me that they did have the parts if they were just going to grease it up?

"Grease it first" seams to be the standard operating procedure (SOP) imposed by Elon.
Original cancelation may very well have been well substantiated - they wanted to swap the parts, but couldn't, due to inventory issues.
Afterwards, they fall back on the SOP.

I had the same SOP response to my control arm warranty claim, with an in-SC appointment converted to an on-site greasing offer. I had to "reject" and "not approve" that estimate 2 or 3 times, and eventually got the in-SC appointment restored and control arms replaced.

Good luck with yours!
a

Hard to say without observing the damage on the current set of ball joints and the rubber boot. Squealing == metal-on-metal contact and wear, that will not be restored by packing it with grease.
Could be weeks, could be a year. But if the old grease leaked out, the new one will meet the same end.

"Grease it first" seams to be the standard operating procedure (SOP) imposed by Elon.
Original cancelation may very well have been well substantiated - they wanted to swap the parts, but couldn't, due to inventory issues.
Afterwards, they fall back on the SOP.

I had the same SOP response to my control arm warranty claim, with an in-SC appointment converted to an on-site greasing offer. I had to "reject" and "not approve" that estimate 2 or 3 times, and eventually got the in-SC appointment restored and control arms replaced.

Good luck with yours!
a
Has the squeek gone away?

Has the squeek gone away?

Yes, more here:

They will replace the control arm but not do an alignment afterward?

Yes, no alignment is necessary. Upper control arms are not adjustable, and assuming the old vs. new parts geometry is identical, no camber/caster changes would be expected.
Even if a fractional change was introduced, camber/caster are not adjustable on Model 3's.

a