Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla can't connect my Powewall to my app - AU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a Powerwall installed last Thursday. But since that time it still does not show up on my Tesla app.

My installer first said it takes about half an hour after he commissioned it.

Then he said it takes 24 hours.

Then Tesla support said the commissioning was invalid and they would override it and that it would take another 24 hours.

Then they said the technician had to complete his paperwork and submit his photos.

Then Tesla told me it was because I had duplicate accounts and they were deleting the redundant ones (I don't and never have)

Then they told me something has glitched at their end.

And at every stage the support person said they would "escalate" my issues.

Tuesday morning and I still don't see if in my app. I have signed out and in a billion times, all to no avail.

I think my Tesla gateway is a lemon, but Jacqui from Tesla reckons that since she can see it (and she sent some unintelligible screenshot) that it must be working.

Well whatever, it just ain't working. Thought I would submit my issues to the brains trust. Any ideas folks?

Nope, not a clue. Mine did that once randomly and I just called tesla and they fixed it immediately.
I had another powerwall issue recently though and the US call centre were not helpfull. They claimed all was good when the data showed otherwise. So I just kept complaining loudly until it got elevated to an Australian engineer. They visited my installation, re-wired the wrong bits, over-road the problem bits, and now all good.

Have you tried turning off the powerwall installation? There should be instructions on how to fully turn off in your switchboard. I now recall tesla asking me to do that when my app access disappeared. I presume that was to reset the gateway power. (Dont press the gateway reset button though)

The latest today was that for Tesla Gateways that begin with the first few characters of my serial number, they are having problems connecting them to the app. (Go figure right?). Anyway, they are (supposedly) working on it. {To me, if they have to start re-writing code it's gunna take forever}.

So, as a work around, Jacqui has said that she can enter the "settings" (that I would ordinarily enter through the app) herself. I am still waiting for this to be done. It's a bit of a pain having to involve third parties who are busy themselves to act on what they see as relatively trivial problems.

(Yes - powerwall has been turned on, off, reset, baked, salt added, prayers said...this particular demon requires a fully qualified exorcist).

Reactions: paulp
Day 6 and the Powerwall still can't be accessed by the app. Also my requested time-of-use settings have still not been entered. Tesla has gone all quiet.

Do you think I ought to request that Tesla change my gateway to one that actually works?

Day 6 and the Powerwall still can't be accessed by the app. Also my requested time-of-use settings have still not been entered. Tesla has gone all quiet.

Do you think I ought to request that Tesla change my gateway to one that actually works?
Yes but I think that’s effectively a warranty claim so you have to make the demand of your installer, which is what I did when mine wasnt recording power correctly (even though tesla usa claimed it was fine). You’ve provided a reasonable amount of time. Your installer will have access to the Australian based technicians, and they should be able to quickly get one of them on the case and sort it out for you. The head tesla guy John is very persistant at finding problems and fixing them. Very helpful.

Last edited:
When you do get it working, its worth doing a 24 hour test to make sure the kwh drawn at your retailer meter equals the kwh the tesla app shows. Mine was out by around 10kwh per day in winter, and 9 of those kwh were being drawn from the grid rather than the battery due to the nurio meter having a fault. The fault only occured when the battery was in use (charge or discharge) and was therefore no issue when 100% solar, which is why the problem was worse on days with less sunshine.

When you do get it working, its worth doing a 24 hour test to make sure the kwh drawn at your retailer meter equals the kwh the tesla app shows. Mine was out by around 10kwh per day in winter, and 9 of those kwh were being drawn from the grid rather than the battery due to the nurio meter having a fault. The fault only occured when the battery was in use (charge or discharge) and was therefore no issue when 100% solar, which is why the problem was worse on days with less sunshine.
You know stories like that actually scare the crap out of me...I wouldn't know where to begin

You know stories like that actually scare the crap out of me...I wouldn't know where to begin
Its very easy once your app is working. The app works midnight to midnight. Choose a time thats convenient. Say 9am. Record your utility meter reading. At the same time record the daily consumption so far on your app. (I always do screen shots for evidence)
The next day at 9am, record your utility meter reading, record the consumption so far for the day on your app, and go back to ‘yesterday’ and record the total for the day.
You now have the data. (It will mke more sense once you have explored the app)
The difference between your two utility reads is the actual consumed according to your utility provider.
From your app data, deduct the first read from the ‘yesterday’ full day read, and then add the today read.
If this number is within 1kwh of your utility consumption then all good. If its not you have a problem.

Well that will be the first thing I do when I have an app that works.

Sadly I just sent a rather nasty letter to Tesla withholding payment for the gateway and threatening litigation if they don't come to the party and resolve this issue :(

Installing the powerwalll was supposed to be a really fun experience. I have found it an incredibly stressful one.

Well that will be the first thing I do when I have an app that works.

Sadly I just sent a rather nasty letter to Tesla withholding payment for the gateway and threatening litigation if they don't come to the party and resolve this issue :(

Installing the powerwalll was supposed to be a really fun experience. I have found it an incredibly stressful one.
Is your internet to the powerwall hard wired or wifi?

When I had my Powerwall installed in December last year, the Gateway was a dud from the start. The installer (a sub-sub-contractor of Tesla) had to get a Tesla technician out to replace it.

I'm trying to remember what the exact problem was but it may have been connectivity. I had so many issues with the installation it is difficult to remember but I think I couldn't connect to the gateway at all until it was replaced. After it was working, it was obvious there were many other issues with the install.

• Helpful
Reactions: paulp
Tesla this morning changed the motherboard in my gateway. I then connected to the app within 2 minutes Yyeeaahh!!!

My app does not (yet) display time-of-use settings in 'customise' and the technician said that takes 24hrs to unlock. (Of course that's what the other guy said about app access and you know what happened there!)

Anyway, it is looking great so far... Did you have the same experience with time of use unlocking 24 hours later?

Reactions: paulp and atj777