Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Can't Find My Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i ordered my instock car on 12/2, and it was due to be delivered late Dec and as of now, no one at Tesla can tell me where my car is. My first payment is due 2/14 and I don't have the car.
What should I do?

Last edited by a moderator:
1e34bbdc9cb26f77eeb3aedebb4235c2d603cfccd647c39742ecc449275ad800.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: sdorn and Max*
I did that with my Bolt. Arrived in perfect condition, and have been enjoying it ever since. And I'll be able to claim the fed credit on my 2016 taxes. :)
Legally, you are only able to claim it in the year that you actually place the car into service once it is delivered. If you didn't receive it in 2016, then legally you'd have to claim it on your 2017 taxes.

Reactions: bonaire and DÆrik
I did that with my Bolt. Arrived in perfect condition, and have been enjoying it ever since. And I'll be able to claim the fed credit on my 2016 taxes. :)

According to your blog, you took delivery on 1/17. You won't be able to claim it on your 2016 taxes, per the IRS:

Instructions for Form 8936 (2016)

The following requirements must be met to qualify for the credit.

• You are the owner of the vehicle. If the vehicle is leased, only the lessor and not the lessee, is entitled to the credit.
  • You placed the vehicle in service during your tax year.
  • The vehicle is manufactured primarily for use on public streets, roads, and highways.
  • The original use of the vehicle began with you.
  • You acquired the vehicle for use or to lease to others, and not for resale.
  • You use the vehicle primarily in the United States.

According to your blog, you took delivery on 1/17. You won't be able to claim it on your 2016 taxes, per the IRS:

Instructions for Form 8936 (2016)

The following requirements must be met to qualify for the credit.

• You are the owner of the vehicle. If the vehicle is leased, only the lessor and not the lessee, is entitled to the credit.
  • You placed the vehicle in service during your tax year.
  • The vehicle is manufactured primarily for use on public streets, roads, and highways.
  • The original use of the vehicle began with you.
  • You acquired the vehicle for use or to lease to others, and not for resale.
  • You use the vehicle primarily in the United States.

Car was titled by the lien holder Dec 2016, Chevy says I purchased 31 Dec 2016, registration in Dec 2016, purchase docs all dates 2016.

And who's to say I wasn't on vacation in Cali and oversaw the pickup by the shipper before it headed back east?

And who's to say I wasn't on vacation in Cali and oversaw the pickup by the shipper before it headed back east?

You...in your blog...online....publicly. Just sayin'......

It is now 2017 (January 2nd, 2017 to be exact), and while the year has changed...I am still without my Bolt, just like I was in 2016. Not only am I without my Bolt, but the dealership I purchased from is also without my Bolt, as it is still sitting in a holding lot at Mira Loma as of yesterday. I guess trucking a car ~60 miles from the holding lot to my dealer takes at least 9 days.

While I was not expecting to have my Bolt physically with me in Maryland before the year was over, I did expect it to at least be on a truck heading to MD. Disappointing indeed, but there are much worse things in life than having to wait an extra week or so for a new car to be delivered...have to put things into perspective I guess.

Placed in service, according to the IRS:
You place property in service when it is ready and available for a specific use, whether in a business activity, an income-producing activity, a tax-exempt activity, or a personal activity. Even if you are not using the property, it is in service when it is ready and available for its specific use.

It was ready for my use as far as I'm concerned! In 2016. And all the docs are dated 2016. Even GM says the car was sold in 2016. #winning

Honestly, it'd be weirdee if I tried claiming it under my 2017 taxes. If I were to get audited, ALL the docs (purchase, finance, registration, title, insurance) list a 2016 date.

Last edited: