Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla car buying experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is another one of those threads that just wouldn't exist if customers had their cars already. Seriously? Oh no! I don't instantly know exactly how much I'll own on this car down to the penny! Come on guys...

In my opinion, the ideal way would be to show the following lines:

1. Base price, unaltered.

2. The various options.

3. Personal delivery.

4. Preparation.

5. Total

6. Federal tax credit

7. Net total after rebate.

8. Your local government may have additional incentives which you may qualify for.

With the exception of the "Net total after rebate" (I am capable of operating a calculator so Tesla didn't need to that for me :wink:) all you listed was on my Preliminary quote email (and my MVPA) back in early May! I'm not sure why there's advice to Tesla about something they're already doing.

With the exception of the "Net total after rebate" (I am capable of operating a calculator so Tesla didn't need to that for me :wink:) all you listed was on my Preliminary quote email (and my MVPA) back in early May! I'm not sure why there's advice to Tesla about something they're already doing.

This is for the Design Studio, not the MVPA, which appears to be fine.

You can find everything there, just maybe in a different layout. Quite honestly, I don't see anyone buying Model S as their first ever car.
Probably not. The original complaint (not actually from me) was that by including the Federal tax credit in the base price and not including the delivery charges, the sticker shock was big when you received your MVPA.

I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition, much less a game of telephone where the message gets lost with each subsequent post.

First, here's what I'm complaining about. Even today I get this from Design Studio:
Cheap.png

But, this is from the MVPA:

NotCheap.png

If Tesla truly wants to make buying their cars a great experience they will fix this.

The only issue I would take is between the $93,600 and $102,270. $102,270 - $7,500 = $94,770, not $93,600. The difference is the prep/delivery fees, which other car configurators do show, eventually (though usually only after you get to the very end of a multi-step process). I've never seen any other car company put estimates of taxes and fees on their configurators, so I don't have any problem with Tesla presenting information consistent with their competitors.

I don't understand why the $990 personal delivery fee is taxable.

Per California Sales and Use Tax online information: "Some labor service and associated costs are subject to sales tax if they are involved in the creation or manufacturing of new personal property."

And:

Q: When does labor get taxed?
A: There are three types of labor: fabrication, installation and repair. The creation or fabrication of new property is subject to tax. However, installation and repair labor are generally excluded from tax.

The Tesla service is a combination of delivery and installation, not creation or manufacturing. Shouldn't it be excluded from tax?

The only issue I would take is between the $93,600 and $102,270. $102,270 - $7,500 = $94,770, not $93,600. The difference is the prep/delivery fees, which other car configurators do show, eventually (though usually only after you get to the very end of a multi-step process). I've never seen any other car company put estimates of taxes and fees on their configurators, so I don't have any problem with Tesla presenting information consistent with their competitors.

Robert an All - all paperwork signed. I'm In. Three years and 11 days later. Blue, to compliment Robert's Green, when we are parked side by side at a Boston Tesla event someday. Tan leather, to warm the blue. Obiche Gloss, as an Ode To Detroit. 19 inch tires to survive potholes. Air suspension to drive on...Air. Clear Coat in Honor of William Macy (Fargo). Tech Package in honor of all you Tesla geeks who talked me into it. And my stereo will Go to Eleven in honor of Nigel Tufnel.

August 4, 2009
Thank you for your interest in the Tesla Model S! You have taken the first step towards reserving your own Model S. To complete the reservation, please sign and fax a Reservation Agreement to +1.650.413.6210. The agreement can be viewed at Tesla Motors | Premium Electric Vehicles.
A member of our client services team will follow up with you within the next 5 business days to confirm receipt of your $5,000 payment and explain the reservation process and estimated delivery.
If you have questions, please contact us at [email protected] or call us at 650-413-6300.

Best regards,

Tesla Client Services

I don't understand why the $990 personal delivery fee is taxable.

Per California Sales and Use Tax online information: "Some labor service and associated costs are subject to sales tax if they are involved in the creation or manufacturing of new personal property."

And:

Q: When does labor get taxed?
A: There are three types of labor: fabrication, installation and repair. The creation or fabrication of new property is subject to tax. However, installation and repair labor are generally excluded from tax.

The Tesla service is a combination of delivery and installation, not creation or manufacturing. Shouldn't it be excluded from tax?

Erik, the Tesla personal delivery fee is equivalent to the destination fee for a typical car, I'd think. So, no go, I guess:

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/auto/pay-sales-tax-on-new-car-destination-fee.aspx

It's probably rude to ask but I've been dying to ask how old are you?
Yeah, it probably is rude, but whatever. :)
From the tone of your posts I used to think you were an old opinionated dude but I've seen you post several things that make me think you're much younger than I initially thought. :)

Mid-30s.

I am also the most atypical person I've ever met, so people who try to generalize about me based on categories are always wrong. Most people think they're unusual and unique, but are actually pretty typical. Unfortunately, for both better and worse, I actually am unusual and unique. Brilliant at some things, appallingly terrible at others. Much of my life has been spent figuring out which is which, and how to rearrange my life to take advantage of that. :rolleyes:

And my family situation is completely atypical, to the point of bizarre, too. My choices would make perfect sense for anyone in my position, but people are rarely in my position.... so out of context the choices look really weird.