Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cargo Ship

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure they are straight forward, but how many cars can you sell with the number of cells it would take to build one ship?

I think it's straightforward in the sense that they should be generating some of their own electricity from wind and solar, instead of trying to carry enough batteries to power them through the entire trip.

There's already solar yachts that don't need to stop to refuel, as well as Turanor, which used a kite sail to supplement its solar panels. Kite sails on cargo ships are already reducing their fuel consumption significantly, and they represent a sort of hybrid powertrain. A solar+wind cargo ship would have to sacrifice cargo capacity to be light and fast, but wouldn't need more than a few MWh's worth of batteries to carry it through the night.

Where I think Elon's optimism betrays him is knowing how much emergency power that's needed for cargo ships to ride through storms and rough waves. There are times and situations where cruising at 15 knots just isn't fast nor safe enough.

• Informative
Reactions: Electroman
I think it's straightforward in the sense that they should be generating some of their own electricity from wind and solar, instead of trying to carry enough batteries to power them through the entire trip.

There's already solar yachts that don't need to stop to refuel, as well as Turanor, which used a kite sail to supplement its solar panels. Kite sails on cargo ships are already reducing their fuel consumption significantly, and they represent a sort of hybrid powertrain. A solar+wind cargo ship would have to sacrifice cargo capacity to be light and fast, but wouldn't need more than a few MWh's worth of batteries to carry it through the night.

Where I think Elon's optimism betrays him is knowing how much emergency power that's needed for cargo ships to ride through storms and rough waves. There are times and situations where cruising at 15 knots just isn't fast nor safe enough.
Where are you going to put the panels or masts on a cargo ship? Most of the deck is going to be covered in shipping containers. If you propose some sort of retractable roof, $$$, masts will make difficult for ships to get under bridges.

Where are you going to put the panels or masts on a cargo ship? Most of the deck is going to be covered in shipping containers. If you propose some sort of retractable roof, $$$, masts will make difficult for ships to get under bridges.

Look up Seawing by AirSeas. They started sea trials this year. It's a Kite Sail, so it only needs a small amount of deck space at the front of the ship.

As for the solar panels, didn't I write that cargo capacity will have to be diminished? Plus there are bulk cargo ships that don't carry containers (grain, coal, oil, etc), where the solar panels can be mounted on the cargo doors. But there's yet to be a proof of concept for this idea though.

Windmills? not when the ship is moving. The air resistance will more than compensate for any power generated by the windmill.

I think this was sarcasm, but just wanted to point out that you can indeed use a windmill to move a ship upwind!! The windmill blades just need to drive the propellors directly. There's a demonstration of this on Veritasium youtube channel. But I don't recall anyone mentioning windmills on this thread?