Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Cars to Sound Pedestrian Warning With ‘Snake Jazz’

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk says Tesla vehicles will soon play “snake jazz or Polynesian elevator music” out of an external speaker.

Tesla added external speakers in 2019 to be used for pedestrian warning sounds.

The concern is that electric vehicles produce less noise, so pedestrians may not be alerted to a car approaching. Automakers have started adding external speakers to EVs that are meant to act as a warning. Musk says owners will be able to project the music “wherever you go.”

Many try to emulate the sound of a gas-powered car. Tesla cars, it seems, will sound a warning with jazz music. “Snake Jazz” is a reference to the television show “Rick and Morty,” a favorite of Musk. In one episode, snakes develop their own form of jazz music.

While Musk’s announcement sounds like a joke, you have to remember that he promised fart noises for Tesla vehicles and made it happen. 

Last edited by a moderator:
No joy here. Formated a new USB stick in exFAT. Labeled the drive as "boombox" and put the mp3 files in both the root of the drive and in a directory called "boombox". Rebooted the center screen too and nothing.

Note: I'm in 2020 Model S not a 3

No joy here. Formated a new USB stick in exFAT. Labeled the drive as "boombox" and put the mp3 files in both the root of the drive and in a directory called "boombox". Rebooted the center screen too and nothing.

Note: I'm in 2020 Model S not a 3

I think the folder name has to be "Boombox" with a capital B. (And it can't have a TeslaCam folder on the drive.)

Note: And don't rename it to try to fix it. Delete it and create it with the correct case the first time.

2020 Christmas Update?

yea you know, that thing which only goes to new owners and not us old school early adopters who were specifically promised early software updates instead of Early Access Program invites which also never happened.

Classic Tesla, what a great holiday - it's one thing to get this update as a surprise, but when they literally start hyping it a few weeks ago it's a big disappointing to totally miss out.

And these guys

Does anyone know if you can purchase the external speaker? My 2019 Model 3 doesn’t have it.

Harley-People.jpg
2019 models? I wonder if I can get the external speaker for my 2018 Model 3.

It seems to play in my speakers fairly loud, can't really tell if its playing outside as well. I don't think its intended to play inside except during preview maybe. Will do a soft boot and try again today.

Use the volume button to turn it off inside the cabin and listen outside... I have the ice cream truck on mine, works great and its pretty loud

It seems to play in my speakers fairly loud, can't really tell if its playing outside as well. I don't think its intended to play inside except during preview maybe. Will do a soft boot and try again today.

Use the volume button to turn it off inside the cabin and listen outside... I have the ice cream truck on mine, works great and its pretty loud