Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Cars to Sound Pedestrian Warning With ‘Snake Jazz’

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk says Tesla vehicles will soon play “snake jazz or Polynesian elevator music” out of an external speaker.

Tesla added external speakers in 2019 to be used for pedestrian warning sounds.

The concern is that electric vehicles produce less noise, so pedestrians may not be alerted to a car approaching. Automakers have started adding external speakers to EVs that are meant to act as a warning. Musk says owners will be able to project the music “wherever you go.”

Many try to emulate the sound of a gas-powered car. Tesla cars, it seems, will sound a warning with jazz music. “Snake Jazz” is a reference to the television show “Rick and Morty,” a favorite of Musk. In one episode, snakes develop their own form of jazz music.

While Musk’s announcement sounds like a joke, you have to remember that he promised fart noises for Tesla vehicles and made it happen. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Last line says, "you have to remember that he promised fart sounds from Tesla horns and made it happen."

Did they mean he promised fart sounds inside or actually from the horn? Don't tell me I've been driving around in a car that can broadcast farts and I haven't been using this. The interior speakers fart all I want, but the horn? Is this available in the Model 3? Made sometime in March 2019...

• Funny
Reactions: EVNation and PACEMD
Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk says Tesla vehicles will soon play “snake jazz or Polynesian elevator music” out of an external speaker. Tesla added external speakers in 2019 to be used for pedestrian warning sounds. The concern is that electric vehicles produce less noise, so pedestrians may not be alerted to a car approaching. Automakers have...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/08/23/tesla-cars-to-sound-pedestrian-warning-with-snake-jazz/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

My new Model Y Performance has no external speakers mounted to use for PWS sounds. I removed the lining of my right front wheel well, and saw and empty mount with holes facing the ground that the sound is supposed to come through. I thought that all EV's had to have a PWS installed by September 2020. Is that incorrect?

Reactions: philw1776