Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla cars used in charity events (Raffles, lotteries and competitions. Buyer beware)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think it's a scam, it's an effective way of building a mailing list. Remember they have to reach 100,000 folks before the big prize is activated, but in any case those all contact details will keep your local mailman (or woman) employed delivering junk mail for years to come. ;-)
They didn't ask for an address, and likely will not find it for those of us who only used the first initial of their last name. Junk e-mail is another story.

The little needle hasn't moved, so I fear Nigel may be right and we may just be giving them free feedback and spam-fodder

It has moved, but not much. It was just below half way between 10k and the first tic mark, and now it is just over halfway there. If we assume that first tic is 12.5k votes, then they have only added about 5000 in the last two days Hard to tell since it may have taken 10k votes just to start the needle moving. There not going to hit 100k votes by the end of the month unless something changes.

I created a custom email address just for this to see how much spam it generates (and to turn off junk mail filtering, as they specify in their rules "[not our problem] if you don't get the notification"). Curious to see how much junk I get from this down the road..

I voted as Nikola Tesla.

81AZCESJmKL._SL1500_.jpg

Princess Margaret Cancer Centre Home Lottery - 2014 Tesla Model S Performance

Scan 2.jpeg

Please support Princess Margaret Cancer Centre through Princess Margaret Cancer Centre Home Lottery
A great cause which is close to home being a cancer survivor myself.
Million dollar homes and condos including Grand Prize 11 - 2014 Tesla Model S Performance.
Tesla gets front billing in the car section. Caption reads "In 4.4 seconds, this performance electric sedan is traveling 100 km per hour, without hesitation and without a drop of gasoline". Value $145,061 (CAD).
Way to go Tesla Motors. Thanks for your donation to support such a great cause.:smile:

Nigel,
You are correct in that the lottery ticket purchaser must have an Ontario, Canada address. Please note that there are over 13 million people in Ontario with over 6 million people in the Greater Toronto Area alone. The attached flyer would have been mailed to all GTA addresses. There are many non-Ontario residents from all over the World that would have an address in Ontario as an investment or spare property, including at least one on my street from China.
Tesla positioning itself with Princess Margaret Hospital will result in excellent exposure and brand recognition leading to additional sales which is why I think this thread should remain in TSLA Investor Discussions. For most Ontarians, this lottery is probably the first time they heard of Tesla, and for many of them the first time they would be told the Model S is fully electric.
Best,

Well, seeing as you were asking folks to support the cause the thread got moved to Off Topic (following established precedent). My note was simply for folks without an Ontario address.

Great cause by the way! I believe the hospital has an excellent reputation.

I used my junk email account, hopefully I'll remember to check it within the prize acceptance window.

Hey there,

This is Bilal Jaffery, Director of Digital at Extreme Networks. You can connect with me on twitter at Bilal Jaffery (BilalJaffery) on Twitter

I am humbled by the response from the community so far. I thank you again for your vote and support. Rest assured, no one will be receiving any kind of spam from us. If you want to receive marketing updates, you will have to opt in and select the check box to get our marketing updates (like the latest in wifi, byod etc).

The purpose of this contest is to capture sentiment around the contest to help us rebrand effectively. It has already helped us understand what we need to tweak etc.

With that being said, we would like nothing more than to give away the Tesla. As it stands, we have less than a day left and not enough votes. Please do tell folks and hopefully someone from this community wins. That will be a bigger win for us! We want to give away the Tesla. Nothing more, Nothing less.

Cheers,
Bilal