Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla CCS Combo 1 Adapter - Comparison of Just a Few Possible Storage Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tps5352

Supporting Member
Having absolutely nothing to do while awaiting delivery of my first Tesla-Korea CCS Combo 1 Adapter, I purchased a few inexpensive cases for possible use. Then I ordered a second CCS1 adapter (long story) and decided to take advantage of the discount price for both the Tesla adapter and the Harumio custom third-party adapter case. Here is a look at five kinds of potential adapter cases.

Notes:
  • Sorry for yet another CCS1-related thread. But it is the only way to retain the ability to edit my original post. And my posts invariably need lots of editing.
  • I purposely did not formally investigate whether the J1772 adapter would also fit in the cases. Although possible, at least in some, I do not advise it due to the likely possibility of superficial damage to the adapters over time. Maybe if cushioning cloth or foam were included…? I leave that up to other users. The focus here is just on the CCS1 adapter.
  • All measurements are approximate (and can vary with soft cases and due to additional pockets, "bulging," etc.).
  • I can’t really comment on the long-term durability, other than perhaps in very general ways. Cheap zippers are always a “weak link.”
  • Unfortunately, the “best” cases are currently sold out. Sorry. But perhaps you can find them elsewhere, and they may become available again at any point. Also, others elsewhere have reported substitutes, so this comparison arguably retains some usefulness.
  • Right now we assume that the official North American Tesla CCS1 adapter will be the same as the current Korean version. But who knows? WE DO!!! It appears to be identical. Also, will it come with a case? Probably not, but again, we can't be sure. As of 09/21/22, WE CAN NOW! It does not come with a case; just the cardboard box. So all this may or may not apply to any later North American adapter released by Tesla.

1. Harumio CCS1 Adapter Custom Case (currently not on Harumio website)
  • Source (when available): Harumio - Korea Forwarding Service (proven reliable source for otherwise unavailable Tesla-Korea charging accessories)
  • Price: Was initially $55 for just the case, then dropped significantly in package deal with adapter ($23 + $309 = $332).
  • Color: black
  • Tag: says “TETS”(?)
  • External Size: x 6 1/2” side-to-side x 6 1/2” front-to-back x 3 3/4 ” bottom-to-top
  • Internal Size: Not pertinent; interior has custom-molded shape to cradle the adapter.
  • Current status: currently unavailable (But Harumio could always offer it again at some point?)
  • Assessment:
    • Custom fit--interior is molded to the shape of the adapter.
    • Very similar in general design to Case #2—possibly made by same company?
    • Includes handy wrist strap.
    • Note: With the adapter zippered in, it does move around a little if you shake the case. However, since it is a form-fitting, molded shape, no harm should befall the adapter. (That sounds a little like Shakespeare?)
    • Possibly my First Choice (especially if you can (a) get it and (b) for close to the discount price of ~$23).

1. Harumio Custom CCS1 Adapter Case

1. The Harumio Custom CCS1 Adapter Case (possibly my first choice)​

2. Maoershan EVA Hard Travel Carrying Case for PYOTON Projector
  • Source: Amazon.com
  • Price: ~$13
  • Type: semi-hard zippered clamshell
  • Color: black with red zipper accents
  • External Size: 6 ½” side-to-side x 5 ½” front-to-back x 3 ½” bottom-to-top
  • Internal Size: 5 ¾” x 4 ½” x (1 ¾ bottom-half + 1 ¼” top-half)
  • Current status: sold out on Amazon
  • Assessment:
    • Adapter fits snugly inside. (Zero slop.)
    • No movement by adapter when zippered case is shaken.
    • Seems very protective.
    • Yet there is some additional space (may fit J1772 adapter--if so use thin fabric to prevent scratching)?
    • Includes handy wrist strap.
    • Excellent choice for the money.
1. Maoershan (Amazon) case
Harumio (#1) vs. Maoershan (#2) Cases

Case Option #2 - -- - - - - - - Comparison of Option #s 1 and 2. Both work.​

3. MCHENG waterproof, padded camera case
  • Source: Amazon.com
  • Price: ~$19
  • Type: soft, padded over-the-shoulder camera-case
  • Color: black
  • External Size: x 6” side-to-side x 4 ½” front-to-back x 6 ¾” bottom-to-top
  • Internal Size: 4 ¾” x 3” x 5 ½”
  • Current status: sold out on Amazon
  • Assessment:
    • Adapter fits well.
    • Minor movement by adapter when zippered case is shaken, but padding should prevent most damage from minor shocks.
    • Seems very protective.
    • Additional Velcro separator panel is present (added padding).
    • Additional space (may fit J1772 adapter)?
    • Includes both convenient shoulder- and hand-straps.
    • Another good choice for the money.

2.	MCHENG Padded Camera Case

3. MCHENG Padded Small-camera Case​

4. Weyoung Portable Insulated Lunch Cooler
  • Source: eBay
  • Price: ~$13
  • Type: insulated soft lunch box (This box is representative of any number of inexpensive yet effective Asian-made lunch totes.)
  • Color: attractive gray
  • External Size: x 7” side-to-side x 7” front-to-back x 5 1/4” bottom-to-top
  • Internal Size: 6 ¾” x 6 ¾” x (4” bottom + 1” top)
  • Current status: available (from China)
  • Assessment:
    • Too big for adapter by itself.
    • Padding or foam probably required (see Update below).
    • Clearly plenty of room for J1772 adapter and/or other small items.
    • Perfectly serviceable; however, zipper may not hold up to frequent use.
    • A potentially good choice if adapter is stored in trunk and will not be used frequently.
    • Could attractive (non-black) gray color attract too much unwanted attention?

4. Weyoung Insulated Cooler

4. Weyoung Insulated Tote​

5. Insulated Nylon Cooler Box
  • Source: eBay
  • Price: ~$4
  • Type: soft, insulated 6-pack-sized cooler box
  • Color: red, black, or blue
  • External Size: x 9” side-to-side x 6” front-to-back x 5 ” bottom-to-top
  • Internal Size: virtually the same
  • Current status: available
  • Assessment:
    • Too big for adapter by itself. Unfortunately, not big enough to hold the Tesla adapter box.
    • Padding or foam required to fit just the adapter (see Update below).
    • Clearly plenty of room for J1772 adapter and/or other small items.
    • Perfectly serviceable; inexpensive and might not attract as much attention from smash-and-grab thieves (like would a camera case)?
    • This and the many other products like it are good economical choices if padding is added and the adapter is stored in trunk and will not be used frequently.
    • Black might be the best color (for "hiding" in the trunk).

5. Economy Insulated Nylon Cooler

5. Economy Insulated "6-pack" Cooler​

6. Bonus Option: Tesla CCS Combo 1 Adapter Box (People have commented on the cardboard box being used to store the adapter in the trunk.)

Pros
- The most inexpensive and convenient.
- Box appears sturdy (if not used too much).
- Adapter is nestled perfectly inside (with packing materials).
- Good temporary option while waiting for sold-out cases to return?
- If the adapter is not going to be used much, find an water-resistant nylon bag (similar to #5, but larger) and store adapter/box/bag in the trunk.

Cons
- Box may not stand up to long-term storage (especially dampness).
- Not waterproof.
- Bare box (with Tesla labeling) says, “Here it is!” to potential thieves.
- Large and rigid.
- If owner ever wants to sell adapter, unworn/undamaged box would help sales.

Tesla CCS Combo 1 Adapter Box

6. Tesla CCS Combo 1 Adapter Cardboard Box​

Updates: For inner cushioning of the larger cases, I envisioned using "cubed" or "pinch and pluck" type foam. (Hobbyists use this stuff to store miniatures, and guns, cameras, and all types of senstive-to-jarring equipment frequently come in cases with pre-cut foam interiors--like the optional Tesla Model X receiver hitch attachment.) Here are just a couple of examples (search online for more):
Foam Insert Kit
Apache Small Gun Case
Aproca Case

Replacement foam kit. - - - - - - Apache 1800 Case - - - - - - - - Aproca Case​

Enough. You get the idea. Though potential storage cases go in and out of stock, if you search around you can still find good options to keep your valued Tesla-Korea CCS1 adapter protected in storage.

NOTE: I am reminded to disclose that I have no financial or beneficial relationship (except as a regular retail customer) with any of the companies offering or making these or other cases that can be used for CCS1 adapters. All the samples here were purchased at standard retail prices (and are available to others [in the San Francisco-Sacramento general areas], if you happen to need one).

Last edited:
I'd expect that to work, but it looks like it is a good bit bigger than necessary.

As the Harbour Freight price is so low ($13; $9 if a member), I picked up one of these today. I’ll play around with the selectively-removable foam, but for that low price it looks good and the size should be fine for storage of CCS1 and J1772 adapters.

Reactions: Genie and jsight
  • Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
Maybe this is obvious to those of you have already have one of these adapters, but is there a reason this needs to be in a case? If I just toss it in the well on the left side of my M3's trunk will it be fine on its own? I know some people just want things to be in a case, and I'm not trying to debate that--I have plenty of things I get OCD about, but this isn't one of them.

Maybe this is obvious to those of you have already have one of these adapters, but is there a reason this needs to be in a case? If I just toss it in the well on the left side of my M3's trunk will it be fine on its own? I know some people just want things to be in a case, and I'm not trying to debate that--I have plenty of things I get OCD about, but this isn't one of them.
Mainly to keep it clean and free of any debris that could cause issues with the contacts and failure to charge or overheating or adapter. Also to keep it clean and scratch-free. And finally, to keep the metal bar that helps lock it in from being hit and bending, which could cause it to hang up.

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod
I ordered a $17 case that I saw on a YouTube review of the Tesla CCS adapter. He described the case as a “perfect fit” for holding both the CCS and J1772 adapters.

You can see it at around the 1-minute mark in the video:

The case is on Amazon at:

So far I have neither the case or the CCS adapter myself but I’m hoping that will change within the next week or so.

Reactions: lynyrdM and DrGriz
Reactions: DrGriz
This is the $13 Apache from Harbor Freight, it’s a surprisingly well made case. The little push rod that locks the CCS plug to the adaptor drops nicely into the pick apart foam, great value

Yes. It's getting to the point that we literally have multiple "best" storage solutions. Soft or hard cases--take your pick. The only trouble is, as soon as one is identified, it goes "sold out" almost immediately.

By the way, can I use your photo to update my review of Tesla CCS1 adapter cases?

Reactions: kayak1