Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla CCS Combo 1 Adapter - Comparison of Just a Few Possible Storage Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With your experience of owning both 2015 (bought new?) and 2022 Tesla models, it would be interesting to hear your assessment of hown Tesla has changed--for the good or the bad--in seven years.
Yes, bought the 2015 S85D new. That was one hell of an experience, and more than twice as much as I'd ever paid for a car at the time. My 2022 MSLR is my 4th Tesla and things have definitely changed. But rather than hijack this thread, I'll see if I can put together some thoughts. (Although there are many here—whom I recognize as names from the old Tesla-hosted forums—who have been around much longer and could give even better perspectives.)

I will say that I miss a few options that my 2015 has that the 2022 doesn't, but for everything that really matters, the 2022 MS is better in pretty much every way that software can't address, and many that it can.

I will also say that while I miss the attention and quick responses (and being able to actually *talk* to a person) of the "old days," in most ways owning a Tesla today is a better experience than it was in 2015. In particular, a lot more Superchargers, more Service Centers (don't have to drive an hour for service any more), and, of course, a lot more vehicles around. The Model S and X are still seen as pretty special vehicles, but obviously not quite as much as in 2015, especially outside of CA. Both our new S and Y are way better designed and built than the older cars, at least from everything I've seen so far.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
...So needless to say things are changing rapidly (as has been the case since when, April?). In my opinion Harumio is being nimble and trying to sell us what we want/need (all the while making money, of course). Unfortunately, a new supply of cases is apparently not available for shipping quite yet--another week or so, I take it. My guess is that people at Harumio and at the manufacturing company are working hard to get us the new cases.

Update: No sooner do I post that (on Saturday), then I get a message (today, Sunday) from Harumio saying that my new case "order is on the way." I now have a FedEx tracking number and everything. So like I said, things are constantly changing in Harumio-land. I think that they work hard as retailers. At least that is my opinion, based on my experience (four products ordered) with them so far.

Update: No sooner do I post that (on Saturday), then I get a message (today, Sunday) from Harumio saying that my new case "order is on the way." I now have a FedEx tracking number and everything. So like I said, things are constantly changing in Harumio-land. I think that they work hard as retailers. At least that is my opinion, based on my experience (four products ordered) with them so far.
Same here, message from Fed EX that Harumio created a label for shipping. No ETA yet but lately here FedEX has not been on time so I don't expect anything from an ETA. We're on opposite sides of the US so it should be a few extra days for me ??? The good news is we now can charge everywhere with our Teslas.

Do you know that a company makes a Tesla extension cord that works with Superchargers. Purpose is to offer a solution for ICE'd Supercharger cabinets. I believe it is 20ft long and very expensive. I saw this about 2 months ago. They also make a cheaper one for Level 2 EVSE's

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
...Do you know that a company makes a Tesla extension cord that works with Superchargers. Purpose is to offer a solution for ICE'd Supercharger cabinets. I believe it is 20ft long and very expensive. I saw this about 2 months ago. They also make a cheaper one for Level 2 EVSE's

Do you mean here? I hear good things about EVSE Adapters dot com. But yes, the 14-foot Supercharge-rated extension cable (packed with thick copper cable, most likely) is not cheap--$550. Valuable if you run into that problem a lot, though. (I.e., ICE cars blocking easy access to Supercharger stalls.)

Do you mean here? I hear good things about EVSE Adapters dot com. But yes, the 14-foot Supercharge-rated extension cable (packed with thick copper cable, most likely) is not cheap--$550. Valuable if you run into that problem a lot, though. (I.e., ICE cars blocking easy access to Supercharger stalls.)
Yes, that's the company. Last week I pulled into a 12 station SC and all were full. Two Big gas pickup trucks and 10 Teslas. But the lot at WAWA's was packed near by so a 14ft. extension wouldn't have worked. In 5 minutes an older Model S left and I was able to back in to charge at his spot. Holiday weekend travelers. At this SC location they have 15 minutes non-tesla parking so we often see ICE'd chargers here.

On either Sunday or Monday (not sure which day) Harumio was sold out of the new case (to buy either separately or with an adapter). I requested being alerted by email when they received more. Then I happened to check again and I mistakenly thought they had them back in stock. So I ordered on Tuesday (5/24/22). But I had not seen the language that they were available only for pre-order. Now that I know what is going on, I do not expect to receive a notification of shipment until next week at the earliest...

So needless to say things are changing rapidly (as has been the case since when, April?). In my opinion Harumio is being nimble and trying to sell us what we want/need (all the while making money, of course). Unfortunately, a new supply of cases is apparently not available for shipping quite yet--another week or so, I take it. My guess is that people at Harumio and at the manufacturing company are working hard [and quickly] to get us the new cases.

Followup: Oops! It was pointed out on another Thread that the new case is a pre-order. Harumio is still waiting to receive them. They are going to receive at least 45 cases--at least 15 are currently spoken for (so 30 left for purchase). They will start shipping in early June [turned out not to be true], at which time we should then see shipments taking from 4-10 days [true]. If people have ordered the adapter and case, then I believe that total shipment will be delayed until the cases arrive in June, also.

Sorry, I missed that information on the Harumio website page. So we are not waiting for Harumio to receive a product from Tesla. Ironically we are instead waiting for Harumio to receive this new product from its different manufacturer. (Take your choice:😒 :rolleyes:.)

Update: No sooner do I post that (on Saturday), then I get a message (today, Sunday [5/29/22]) from Harumio saying that my new case "order is on the way." I now have a FedEx tracking number and everything. So like I said, things are constantly changing in Harumio-land. I think that they work hard as retailers. At least that is my opinion, based on my experience (four products ordered) with them so far.

New Harumio case (the large one) received today (6/1/22).
  • 9 days after ordering.
  • 3 days after email notification (w/tracking number) from Harumio.
So even with the delay caused by the cases not yet being delivered to Harumio in Korea, that's pretty speedy. Harumio comes through again!

FYI: Apparently there are only 8 new cases left unspoken for. (I imagine they will order more when this batch is completely sold. And they may have more to couple with the adapters themselves, I don't know.)

Reactions: Genie
Harumio CCS1 / J1772 case came today. Waiting for Tesla CCS1 adapter to ship from Harumio.

9E10232D-3EE2-4AFE-AF4C-A82A5DBE7354.jpeg
001497F6-1783-4F48-B501-62A00FA2B64D.jpeg

Oh- No I did not get the pink thing-looks like foam- can’t figure what it might be, but it just may be you put it on the J1772 adapter while using it, so as not to forget it?? Guessing…

Yeah, I was thinking that it was a pad that fits over the TPC plug part to protect the car's finish from getting scratched? (Totally just guessing.)

Whatever, I totally want it! :)

• Funny
Reactions: CaptUAL
I ordered the CCS1 and the case on May 20th and received it in Canada on May 30th.
When I ordered the site said 59 left.
I didn't get the extra's either. But since I don't know what they are, I'm not worrying about it.

I did use the CCS adapter for a quick test at a 100 Kw station arrived at 56% and charged to 70% at 73 kw took a little over 6 minutes.
(Model 3 RWD)

My question is am I doing something wrong when trying to remove the adapter from the charging cable?
It took me a couple of minutes of wiggling and having to use my knees and hands to pull apart.
It was not locked...just a very tight fit. Is it because of the newness or me not having eaten my Wheaties that morning?

I ordered the CCS1 and the case on May 20th and received it in Canada on May 30th.
When I ordered the site said 59 left.
I didn't get the extra's either. But since I don't know what they are, I'm not worrying about it.

I did use the CCS adapter for a quick test at a 100 Kw station arrived at 56% and charged to 70% at 73 kw took a little over 6 minutes.
(Model 3 RWD)

My question is am I doing something wrong when trying to remove the adapter from the charging cable?
It took me a couple of minutes of wiggling and having to use my knees and hands to pull apart.
It was not locked...just a very tight fit. Is it because of the newness or me not having eaten my Wheaties that morning?
First, you need to remove the adapter from the car outlet. Then, you probably needed to push and hold the release button on the CCS plug while separating it from the adapter. If the adapter is still in the car, that long pin that sticks out of the adapter will prevent you from pushing the release button on the CCS plug. That’s why you need to first remove the CCS plug & adapter from the car and then push and hold the release on the CCS plug in order to separate the adapter and CCS plug.

That is something that Tesla owners aren’t used to doing.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Prairie and CaptUAL
First, you need to remove the adapter from the car outlet. Then, you probably needed to push and hold the release button on the CCS plug while separating it from the adapter. If the adapter is still in the car, that long pin that sticks out of the adapter will prevent you from pushing the release button on the CCS plug. That’s why you need to first remove the CCS plug & adapter from the car and then push and hold the release on the CCS plug in order to separate the adapter and CCS plug.

That is something that Tesla owners aren’t used to doing.
I did that but it was very hard to remove the adapter from the charger cable.
It was tight going on as well.
I'm going to put this down to being new and maybe it will loosen a bit with time.
Could be the charging handle also being too new and very little to no wear on it.

I did that but it was very hard to remove the adapter from the charger cable.
It was tight going on as well.
I'm going to put this down to being new and maybe it will loosen a bit with time.
Could be the charging handle also being too new and very little to no wear on it.
Hmm. I’ve only used my Tesla CCS adapter once so far (at an Electrify America on an ABB charger) and had no difficulty.