Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla CCS Combo 1 Adapter User Manual (in English) Generates Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For comparison I just looked at my AVI pop-up (from early 2021 Model X LR+):

Should I be concerned with anything?
  • No CCS adapter support.
  • No modem capabilities.
  • Small rear motor. (Guys hate to have a small anything,...except the prostate.)
Do you 2021.40.x which is where it shows that line?

Quote: Included in the 2021.40 software update is a new ‘CCS Adapter support’ line in the ‘Additional Vehicle Information’ pop-up.
via: Tesla adds CCS adapter support information in preparation for North American release

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
I think Model X/S are not compatible, notice the Tesla Website says the adapter only works for 3/Y, quote:
※Caution: Currently, this product is only applicable to Model 3 and Model Y. Only one product can be purchased per person. All purchases may be canceled if more than one purchase is made.
But we have reports of the refresh Model S with 2021.40 reporting that adapter support is enabled.

Do you 2021.40.x which is where it shows that line?

Quote: Included in the 2021.40 software update is a new ‘CCS Adapter support’ line in the ‘Additional Vehicle Information’ pop-up.
via: Tesla adds CCS adapter support information in preparation for North American release

I think Model X/S are not compatible, notice the Tesla Website says the adapter only works for 3/Y, quote:
※Caution: Currently, this product is only applicable to Model 3 and Model Y. Only one product can be purchased per person. All purchases may be canceled if more than one purchase is made.

But we have reports of the refresh Model S with 2021.40 reporting that adapter support is enabled.

Sorry folks, I am relatively ignorant/dumb about all the Software/FSD download stuff.
  1. I have relatively new Model X (but not refreshed). I don't have a 2021.40.x. software version (yet; maybe never?). In fact, I have been trying to understand why some cars have, say, 36.x and some have gone right on to a 40.x version (with features I'd like to get). What I do have is the latest FSD Beta (v.10.5). (Why me, I am not exactly sure.)

Apparently which kind of vehicle software version (36.x or 40.x) you get has a lot to due with the owner's status concerning testing FSD-Beta (not with the age or model of the car, as I initially imagined). I recently read Post #10 in this Thread I've named "FSD Beta Confusion" and it seems to help clear up some of the mystery. Apparently Tesla has indeed split owners into groups as to who gets what FSD-Beta download when, and this of course affects the overall software version they get. If I had known it was going to be "either-or" I might have elected to skip FSD-Beta testing, frankly...

So described another way, it's like branches on a tree. Things aren't necessarily all linear. Instead there may be forks in the road (/trunk/branch/whatever). Some people go one way (the 36.x branch), some another (the 40.x limb). Whether they eventually come back together and converge (e.g., for 50.x or 60.x), I'm not sure.

But to make things more confusing (to me) we have the separate issue of a CCS Combo 1 adapter (which I would like--in fact I sold my unused CHAdeMO adapter in anticipation of getting the smaller, more convenient, and likely more univerally usable at more sites CCS1 device). This issue I know a little bit more about, namely: We know that the South Korean adapter (a) works, (b) but only for South Korean Models 3 and Y, (c) does not work for North America cars, and (d) certainly not for North American Models S & X, correct?

2. I trust that Tesla will eventually make any CCS1 adapter applicable not only to Models 3 & Y, but also for Models S & X. But, as an X owner I have to hope for that. Right now I accept that the Korean CCS1 adapter will probably not work with any North American car. I personally would not mess around with a South Korean (or Setec; no offense) adapter. (Replacement interior LED lights, one thing; 240v charging equipment, something entirely different.) Whether it will only ever work eventually for 3 & Y. I don't know. Hardware retrofits or software upgrades needed? Very possibly.

3. If true, than at least refreshed North American S & Y may quickly be able to use the adapter. That's a start.

This may echo the situation for the CCS Combo 2 adapter in Europe. Older models (S) had to get a hardware retrofit. Newer models S & X (maybe like the North American refreshed S & X) didn't have to get a retrofit. Maybe things will be similar in North America--i.e., owners of "older" Models S & X will have to shell out a few hundred for labor and the adapter. At first supplies will be limited. People will be clamoring. As demand wanes, eventually prices will drop and most older cars that want the adapter will have one. I think new Models S & X in Europe now come supplied with the adapter (like we get the J1772 adapter)?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Another rhetorical … would the J1772 charger work with the CCS 1 adapter? It would be nice to not have yet another adapter to juggle.
It would be nice if it did, but my expectation is that it would not. The large pins on the vehicle end of the connector are probably wired to DC+/DC- on the CCS1 end, instead of L1/L2 on the J1772 part of the combo plug. Tesla reuses the high-voltage pins for AC and DC charging in a way that CCS1 does not.

• Informative
Reactions: jsight
I’ve been wondering:

Would this European CCS Combo 2 adapter work if we used a Type 2 to J1772 adapter to connect it to an american Tesla?

This adapter is already available, but you would need a lot of adapters to get it working. But since the CCS adaptation is only mechanical, it might work.

What do you guys thing?

I have a friend with one of those and is thinking about trying it out.

That adapter is only for DC charging. It allows a Tesla with a Type-2 inlet to use CCS Combo2 DC chargers. J1772 is AC only and the AC pins on the Tesla adapter are not connected.

However, this adapter below will allow a North American Tesla vehicle to charge on a V2 European Supercharger. V3 is CCS-only so it won't work.

It is simple to AC charge a North American Tesla anywhere in the world. The provided J1772 adapter can be used for that along with a Type-2 to Type-1 (J1772) cable. You can also use the North American Mobile Connector anywhere in the world with appropriate plug adapters.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
I’ve been wondering:

Would this European CCS Combo 2 adapter work if we used a Type 2 to J1772 adapter to connect it to an american Tesla?

This adapter is already available, but you would need a lot of adapters to get it working. But since the CCS adaptation is only mechanical, it might work.

What do you guys thing?

I have a friend with one of those and is thinking about trying it out.

No, but this one would.

No, but this one would.

That one requires that the car has the CCS compatible charge port controller. The one I posted does not require that because V2 Supercharger uses CAN which can pass through to the car.

...However, this adapter below will allow a North American Tesla vehicle to charge on a V2 European Supercharger...

At close to $800 it's pretty pricey, though.

Bottom Line: We need a Tesla CCS Combo 1 adapter ASAP that (a) is affordable, (b) is more compact (than bulky CHAdeMO adapter), (c) works reliably at all North American CCS1 charging stations, (d) won't get nullified by future Tesla firmware updates, and (e) works on all Tesla model-years. Is that too much to ask (of Santa)?

Last edited:
At close to $800 it's pretty pricey, though.

Bottom Line: We need a Tesla CCS Combo 1 adapter ASAP that (a) is affordable, (b) is more compact (than bulky CHAdeMO adapter), (c) works reliably at all North American CCS1 charging stations, (d) won't get nullified by future Tesla firmware updates, and (e) works on all Tesla model-years. Is that too much to ask (of Santa)?
Yes its too much to ask... CCS Adapter support: not installed even for people with Model's from August 2021!

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
...CCS Adapter support: not installed even for people with Model's from August 2021!

My 2020 (Oct) Y came with CCS support. ^^

Yes. If you have not seen it, check out this preliminary visual data chart (Post #757) collected from contributors to this Thread: CCS Adapter for North America.

5 - CCS1 Compatibility - 1-5-22.jpg

For Models 3 & Y it appears to show four and three stages, respectively:
  1. 2017-early 2020 -- no CCS compatibility (for Model 3 only)
  2. early 2020-mid-2021 -- CCS compatibility (though few owners knew this until the 2021 Tesla holiday software updates)
  3. July 2021-October 2021 -- no CCS compatibility again (due to key chip shortage; most owner's were unaware that this feature was lost)
  4. November 2021-and onward -- CCS compatibility again
Owners of 2021 cars with no compatibility are...annoyed, understandably, and are wondering if, when, and how Tesla will set their cars to right again. (Less biased observers say Tesla never promised that feature to begin with and since there is no Tesla CCS1 adapter, yet, these owners have been denied nothing substantive.) Owners of older Model 3 wonder if there will be a retrofit (as there was for Models S & X in Europe for the CCS2 adapter there).

Last edited: