Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla CCS1 Adapter: Current Draw Above Specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been watching a number of YouTube videos from folks using the Tesla CCS1 Adapter that they ordered from Korea. In nearly all of them they are pleased to be getting more than 150kW power delivery. I have a concern.

Looking at this video I see that the label states the current limit to be 300ADC:

In this video you can see that Electrify America is supplying 490ADC through the adapter.

That is 63% more current through the adapter than Tesla has specified. I'm sure it is designed for probably double the stated current draw for safety but it is still drawing far more current than the adapter's stated specification. I would have assumed that Tesla's firmware would have done the limiting as it has a Qualcomm CCS IC to do the negotiation with the DCFC equipment. Perhaps, Tesla is planning a higher rate on the North American version of the adapter or the one from Korea will be relabeled with a higher current rating. None of the YouTubers have commented on or measured the temperature of the adapter during a charging session.

Reactions: PStewart
I am unconcerned. If Tesla didn’t want these drawing full power then they would have limited the amp draw on the software side when they enabled these adapters last November via an update.

Tesla has a history of exceeding the ratings they set for their DC adapters. The Type 2 to CCS2 adapter Tesla uses for the S/X in Europe has a name plate rating of 210 amps yet it routinely allows for 370 amps of charging.

One possible explanation is that the name plate rating is for continuous power draw and for a short period of time many more amps may be allowed without exceeding thermal limits. This is also how V3 super chargers can output 250kW for a short period at the beginning of the charging curve.

Last edited:
I am unconcerned. If Tesla didn’t want these drawing full power then they would have limited the amp draw on the software side when they enabled these adapters last November via an update.

Tesla has a history of exceeding the ratings they set for their DC adapters. The Type 2 to CCS2 adapter Tesla uses for the S/X in Europe has a name plate rating of 210 amps yet it routinely allows for 370 amps of charging.

One possible explanation is that the name plate rating is for continuous power draw and for a short period of time many more amps may be allowed without exceeding thermal limits. This is also how V3 super chargers can output 250kW for a short period at the beginning of the charging curve.
Thanks for the info. I was unaware of the CCS2 adapter doing a similar thing.

The "korean" version is in a carefully designed Tesla box with english only writing. Tesla didn't make a Korean version. They are selling the North American version in Korea first.

The fact that it uses English on the box doesn't prove anything. The CCS2 adapters in europe also uses English on the box, despite a multitude of languages being used over there; I guess it makes sense to use something as close as universal as possible with more specific instructions in the native language online or elsewhere.

1653320227296.png

And plenty of products sold/targeted in Korea use English on them, at least general marking words. For details and nuance of course there's instructions on how to use the adapter in Korean on tesla's website.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
The fact that it uses English on the box doesn't prove anything. The CCS2 adapters in europe also uses English on the box, despite a multitude of languages being used over there; I guess it makes sense to use something as close as universal as possible with more specific instructions in the native language online or elsewhere.

View attachment 807835

And plenty of products sold/targeted in Korea use English on them, at least general marking words. For details and nuance of course there's instructions on how to use the adapter in Korean on tesla's website.
What's your point? This is obviously the finished Tesla CCS1 adapter. This device and box is what will be sold in the U.S.

What's your point? This is obviously the finished Tesla CCS1 adapter. This device and box is what will be sold in the U.S.

This is what you said (emphasis added)

The "korean" version is in a carefully designed Tesla box with english only writing. Tesla didn't make a Korean version. They are selling the North American version in Korea first.

You implied that the mere presence of English on the box made the CCS Type 1 adapter a "North American" version. Yes it will eventually have a larger market in NA by virtue of size, but this adapter is not a "NA" version, but a "CCS Type 1 adapter", full stop. Just like how the CCS2 adapter is not called an "European Version", even though that's where the adapters are used mostly.

Korean's don't call it the "North American" adapter, they call it the CCS Combo 1 adapter.

1653352806633.png

translated by google:

1653352833653.png

In fact that Korean text literally is Combo and Adapter (first and second parts respectively) but with Korean phonetics.

Also plenty of foreign products in Korea have English on them, with possibly country-specific stickers stuck on them as needed. There is korean text that comes withe packaging, but on the inside. I think most Koreans ordering the adapter know how to read "CCS adapter".

I've been watching a number of YouTube videos from folks using the Tesla CCS1 Adapter that they ordered from Korea. In nearly all of them they are pleased to be getting more than 150kW power delivery. I have a concern.

Looking at this video I see that the label states the current limit to be 300ADC:

In this video you can see that Electrify America is supplying 490ADC through the adapter.

That is 63% more current through the adapter than Tesla has specified. I'm sure it is designed for probably double the stated current draw for safety but it is still drawing far more current than the adapter's stated specification. I would have assumed that Tesla's firmware would have done the limiting as it has a Qualcomm CCS IC to do the negotiation with the DCFC equipment. Perhaps, Tesla is planning a higher rate on the North American version of the adapter or the one from Korea will be relabeled with a higher current rating. None of the YouTubers have commented on or measured the temperature of the adapter during a charging session.
psps
Pulled 538A out of a 540A max CCS1 charger. Here's the video

There is a difference between a continuous rating and a temporary rating. It is unlikely you will stop the session just when it starts to drop from 500A and start another session on a different car to continue to charge at 500A. There are online tables for temporary rating for cables and 15 min ratings are a lot higher than continuous ratings. Plus the car monitors the port temperature. I would not worry about it.
Sorry lynyrdM, I did not see you post on the phone.

None of the YouTubers have commented on or measured the temperature of the adapter during a charging session.
FLIR_20220604_102901_747.jpg
FLIR_20220604_102836_774.jpg

These were taken on an electrify America 350kw station, at between 175-180 kW.

(sorry for the imperial units, I forgot to switch to metric for science's sake)

Attachments

• 20220604_222403.jpg
    20220604_222403.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Screenshot_20220604-222554_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20220604-222554_Tesla.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 63
  • FLIR_20220604_102807_818.jpg
    FLIR_20220604_102807_818.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
  • FLIR_20220604_102817_070.jpg
    FLIR_20220604_102817_070.jpg