Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla CCS1 Adapter - First Test on Tesla Model S LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spent about 30 minutes this afternoon testing the Tesla CCS1 adapter on my North America 2020 Tesla Model S LR.

The test charge was completed at a 150 kw fast charger operated by Electrify America in Smithfield, NC.

Initiating the charging session was awkward at first.

I was unaware that I needed to plug-in before I started the charging session. When I parked, I also failed to note that the CCS charger was positioned on the right side of the charging station I selected, which featured both CHADEMO and CCS. Instead of moving the car, I decided to route the charging cable from the right side of the car to the left side of the car in order to insert the CCS connector into the charging port on the Model S.

My attempts to "wave the phone" over the reader on the charging station to initiate a charge were unsuccessful. To begin a charge, I had to open the Electrify America app, specify the number of the charging station to which I was connected, and then swipe right to initiate a charge.

The initialization period for the charge seemed a bit longer than what I am accustomed to seeing on the Tesla supercharger network, but the charge started without any issue.

During my test, I added a total of 32 kWh to the battery during a 28 minute charge session with an EA-reported peak charge rate of 166 kW. State of charge at beginning of charging session was 57% and state of charge at end of charging session was 90%.

Total expense was $13.76 based on $0.43 / kWh rate that Electrify America charges in North Carolina.

Now that I understand how everything works, the Tesla CCS1 adapter will be of great benefit during periods of peak usage on long road trips. I will no longer have to decide between waiting in-line at congested Supercharger locations, charging earlier than I would like at Supercharger locations with less traffic, or sweating bullets while trying to extend vehicle range to reach a less congested Supercharger that is further away.

Attachments

• IMG_0028 2.jpeg
    IMG_0028 2.jpeg
    580.8 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0030 2.jpeg
    IMG_0030 2.jpeg
    680.9 KB · Views: 118