Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla CCS1 Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CCS Type 1 is not the same thing as CCS 1.0 and CCS Type 2 is not the same thing as CCS 2.0. Type 1 (J1772) and Type 2 (Mennekes) can be used with both CCS 1.0 (up to 80 kW) and CCS 2.0 (up to 500 kW). A future CCS 3.0 will likely support far higher power for commercial vehicles, boats, and planes but it has yet to be published and it may not use Type 1 or Type 2

We're talking about the PHYSICAL adapter CCS1 which has the same pins on the bottom as CCS2... Not versions of the protocol.

CCS1 has the J1772 connector on the top part of the standard whereas CCS2 has Mennekes at the same spot.

The supported power levels have gone up from initial specifications for the DC side (and future releases are supposed to have V2G capabilities). That's not what we're defining here.

316F9262-443E-4452-89FF-8CF46836DA85.png
has anybody got an CCS adapter yet ?
has anybody seen this one ?

Reactions: kayak1
No, this one is definitely from China. Here's their address as listed on their website: #199, Setec Industrial Park, Dakan, Xili Town, Nanshan District, Shenzhen, China.
I see that apparently the same or equivalent device is being developed and built by multiple different groups. There is a group in South Korea that designed and built one, and I thought it was this same one. Or maybe after the prototypes, they contracted with a Chinese company to manufacture them. Here's the link/thread about the South Korean one:
Dc combo for usa port

The Setec one is the Korean one. Someone mentioned you can see it on the Korean one's photos. Most likely they developed in Korea and partnered with Setec to actually build it.

The Setec site says 200A which makes for only 96kW but apparently that's only the certification because the Korea information shows over 100kW charging.

I'm quite interested but not sure I want to invest $660

I took the plunge on trying out the CCS1 adapter, mainly because there is no L3 charging north of me for 230 miles, except for a little 30KW CCS charger installed at the Harley Davidson dealership.

Now its a race to see if I get the adapter before Tesla builds the supercharger they scheduled for 2017. Knowing my luck, now that I've spent $660 on a china adapter, construction of the supercharger will be announced in the next couple days. I wouldn't be upset though, if that were the case.

I took the plunge on trying out the CCS1 adapter, mainly because there is no L3 charging north of me for 230 miles, except for a little 30KW CCS charger installed at the Harley Davidson dealership.

Now its a race to see if I get the adapter before Tesla builds the supercharger they scheduled for 2017. Knowing my luck, now that I've spent $660 on a china adapter, construction of the supercharger will be announced in the next couple days. I wouldn't be upset though, if that were the case.
Please let us know how it works for you!

Reactions: kayak1
The other reason for wanting something like this - Biden during his campaign said one avenue of green infrastructure investment was to build thousands of chargers across America, making EV adoption more practical. I guess the question would be - what type of connector? Both ChaDEMO and CCS1? I have read that ChaDEMO is on the way out. If every rest stop on the interstate or backwater town has a CCS1, that's going to become a must-have adapter

The question still is the communication with the charger, assuming the plug connections can be worked out. If the signaling is the same for CCS1 and 2, and Model 3 for Europe has compatibility with 2 - would it stand to reason that American Model 3 would be ready for this? That the Koreans believe they can make it work (have tried it?) makes me think it's good for North America too.

• Funny
Reactions: doubleshot
Just ordered the Setec, let's see if it actually shows up. I did email the company, and they were very prompt in getting back to me (which is always a good sign).

Also found that this company had manufactured some items for Jack Rickard's EVTV. Knowing Jack, I doubt he would've been dealing with a 2nd rate company. Interesting that the adapter does not need to have the car modified (which the Tesla european CCS adapter does. I suspect one of the reasons the adapter is so large is that it contains active circuitry to translate CCS handshake to Supercharger protocol.

In any case, if it does what it says it does, it looks to be a better option than the CHAdeMO for me.