Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla CCS1 combo adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

I have a spare Tesla CCS1 combo adapter (Brand New Sealed) which is available for local pick up near Boston or can be shipped if needed. This is a must have adapter If anyone is planning for a road trip and would like to expand charging station options.

Please message me directly 718-866-6685

Andyroars

Where did you get a CCS1 adapter from?. Tesla hasn't released theirs, the only one I've heard about was a crap Chinese adapter that doesn't work.
This adapter is the original from Tesla. It works very well in North America, but it is not sold here yet. It comes from South Korea. I tested it on a Model Y 2021 LR and it works very well. Please verify if your car has the CCS option activated.

That's good to hear for those of you who have new Tesla's, won't help me because mine is a 2019.
There's a very long thread on retrofitting older Teslas so that they can use the Tesla CCS1 adapter. I haven't read the whole thread, but my understanding is that you need to replace a circuit board near the charge port (accessed after pulling down some of the trunk liner; also, disconnecting the 12v power is advisable) and also insert an adapter so that the new circuit board receives the inputs it needs from the charge port itself. (Apparently this part was redesigned at the same time as the new circuit board was introduced, so some inputs need to be altered.) The car's software must then be updated so that it can detect the new charging hardware. Total cost for the parts is in the $150 range, the last I checked, not including the CCS1 adapter itself ($309 from one importer). This YouTube video shows the retrofit procedure:
A caveat: I've not done this myself on my own 2019 Model 3. I prefer to wait until Tesla offers an official upgrade path. (I might still take the DIY approach, depending on the cost, when Tesla begins offering it, and how close I am to warranty expiration when that happens.)