Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Center Console Changes/Build Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone speak to the possible improvement or general changes to the build quality of a center console purchased now as opposed to a year ago (or more). I understand the car itself has gone though hundreds of small improvements if not thousands since the first production units, so I'm curious if the center console has followed the same path.

Thanks.

I've not seen any previous generation consoles, so can't speak to perhaps specific differences. I purchased my center console in September and it was installed when I took delivery on October 5. IMHO, overall build quality is super. I don't have complaints with what I'd call "fit and finish", in fact, I believe things like the amount of clearance (tolerance) between doors and the sides are even more consistent than what I have in other places on my MS itself. It's well-crafted. However, a number of design issues remain that just flat-out baffle me considering the thoughtful detail in so many other parts of MS:

• Piano Black only; No matching decor options which is just a shame (especially since the rear, when in-stock, has them)
  • Sliding top is just too tight in it's rails, requiring manual application of hard wax to improve (but not resolve) the situation
  • Sliding top latch is much to hard to operate; The "push-down to slide-back" is too difficult and almost it's own theft deterrent if you don't know how to get in
  • Console needs an internal wall to prevent small items slipping back underneath the cell/USB platform where they can be nearly impossible to retrieve
  • Lightning connector is poorly thought-out; Out-of-the-box the console won't work with any iPhone that has a case, including Tesla's new leather case. One can use the matchstick option documented elsewhere on TMC to modify it, or use a different lightning cable for charging directly to one of the USB ports.
  • Some longer USB sticks will not work if you want to close the flip top, because of the USB port angle. A USB extension may be required in this case so it can just lay in that area instead of being directly in the slot.

I've not seen any previous generation consoles, so can't speak to perhaps specific differences. I purchased my center console in September and it was installed when I took delivery on October 5. IMHO, overall build quality is super. I don't have complaints with what I'd call "fit and finish", in fact, I believe things like the amount of clearance (tolerance) between doors and the sides are even more consistent than what I have in other places on my MS itself. It's well-crafted. However, a number of design issues remain that just flat-out baffle me considering the thoughtful detail in so many other parts of MS:

• Piano Black only; No matching decor options which is just a shame (especially since the rear, when in-stock, has them)
  • Sliding top is just too tight in it's rails, requiring manual application of hard wax to improve (but not resolve) the situation
  • Sliding top latch is much to hard to operate; The "push-down to slide-back" is too difficult and almost it's own theft deterrent if you don't know how to get in
  • Console needs an internal wall to prevent small items slipping back underneath the cell/USB platform where they can be nearly impossible to retrieve
  • Lightning connector is poorly thought-out; Out-of-the-box the console won't work with any iPhone that has a case, including Tesla's new leather case. One can use the matchstick option documented elsewhere on TMC to modify it, or use a different lightning cable for charging directly to one of the USB ports.
  • Some longer USB sticks will not work if you want to close the flip top, because of the USB port angle. A USB extension may be required in this case so it can just lay in that area instead of being directly in the slot.

Good summary of the design flaws. I have one to add.

The flip cover is too close to the 12V port. Any standard 12V adapter can't be left in the port constantly if you want to also be able to close the cover. And even if using a low profile adapter in the 12V port, the cover is still so close to it that when you push down on the cover to "click" it open or "click" it closed, it won't be able to travel freely as far as it should travel.

Couldnt have said it better. Those are my exact complains. Still worth it though.

I agree with all points except that my iPhone 6 does work with the lightening connector without any modifications with both the Apple silicone case and the Tesla leather case. Overall, I'm glad I have it. I love the cupholders and the extra storage.

Last edited:
Thanks for all info, but still wondering if there are multiple versions of the center console. I currently have the original and am trying to figure out if I should leave it in the car for trade-in or take it with. The debate on if to have one and which one is already decided; yes, and the Tesla branded one.

I got mine in Q4 '14 and have been very happy with the fit, finish and build quality. My iPhone 6 fits just fine with the Apple leather case (very sinilar to the new Tesla case). Any thicker on the bottom and I don't think it will work. Though I have seen some very simple hacks. One literally using a toothpick to extend the plug just a smidge. I put a small motion sensor battery operated light under the cover, way up front, which is great at night.

Just got mine installed yesterday morning. Here are some pics.

First impressions. It sits really well on top of what was there before. Leather is perfect match.
The cup holders are great addition and fit my oversized juice travel mug. I didn't like using the armrest ones.
I keep the phone "area" always open, even thou I have the microUSB for my iPhone I tend to put it in my vent attached holder to use Wave on.
For extra "stuff" I put most things in front of the cupholders, which actually keeps the stuff from moving.
Behind the cupholders I store my iPhone cable when not in use.

IMG_2644.jpg
IMG_2645.jpg
IMG_2646.jpg
IMG_2647.jpg
IMG_2648.jpg
IMG_2649.jpg

So did they just give up on ever offering other finishes other than piano black? I can't imagine whatever quality issues they were having with the other finishes couldn't have been rectified by now.

The next gen center console, which first appears in the X, doesn't have any trim to match. The back of the flip-portion now just matches the rest of the console (i.e. grey). Since this console also fits perfectly in the S (and adds rear cupholders as well), it's very likely it will replace the current center console soon.

The next gen center console, which first appears in the X, doesn't have any trim to match. The back of the flip-portion now just matches the rest of the console (i.e. grey). Since this console also fits perfectly in the S (and adds rear cupholders as well), it's very likely it will replace the current center console soon.
I'm surprised they have not switched the S to that version already. Why would they want to keep making 2 versions? They take 4 weeks for delivery, so I don't think they have a large inventory sitting around.

I've gotten used to the open space and the yacht floor. If/when they release the Model S Center Console 2.0, I'm not 100% sure if I'll order it any more.

Ah, I guess I never thought about them doing that. But I don't think that would be a retrofit, new production only right? I though the X console was integrated with the arm rest and everything, not like the S where it is a slip in piece.

Model X will have a much improved center console, no sure if it will be backward compatible with Model S. That would be cool.

I recently got my S console installed, and days later attended a Meet X event so was able to compare. A couple differences I noticed:

- Since X console is integrated, the sidewalls flow directly into the center arm rest and it's more stable. But they're plastic instead of the stitched leather on the S, which doesn't feel as nice.
- Flip top is a textured plastic instead of the smooth piano black trim, which also doesn't look as nice in my opinion. I happen to have piano black so mine matches nicely, but I can see how people with other decors would be annoying.
- X sliding door is MUCH better. As others mentioned, the S sliding door is annoying to press down to open. On the X, it's a gentle press to release back into closing position
- X slot for "blind holstering" is extremely tight and won't accommodate any case whatsoever. The S console doesn't have these side parts, and my iPhone fits with the Apple Silicone case

Overall I do like the S console better due to the leather and piano black, although I do like how the X version is sturdier (wiggles less) and has a better sliding door.