Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Center Console Changes/Build Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently got my S console installed, and days later attended a Meet X event so was able to compare. A couple differences I noticed:

- Since X console is integrated, the sidewalls flow directly into the center arm rest and it's more stable. But they're plastic instead of the stitched leather on the S, which doesn't feel as nice.
- Flip top is a textured plastic instead of the smooth piano black trim, which also doesn't look as nice in my opinion. I happen to have piano black so mine matches nicely, but I can see how people with other decors would be annoying.
- X sliding door is MUCH better. As others mentioned, the S sliding door is annoying to press down to open. On the X, it's a gentle press to release back into closing position
- X slot for "blind holstering" is extremely tight and won't accommodate any case whatsoever. The S console doesn't have these side parts, and my iPhone fits with the Apple Silicone case

Overall I do like the S console better due to the leather and piano black, although I do like how the X version is sturdier (wiggles less) and has a better sliding door.
Thank you for the review. I never found the push-down-to-open feature that big of a deal. I guess mine just worked well. I was also one of the few people to get the obeche matte console, but it went bye-bye when I sold my car. I now have obeche gloss interior, and will have a piano black console. I may plasti-dip it in matte black when it arrives, or wrap it in matte black vinyl. At least, the obeche gloss won't be as big of a contrast as the matte would have been.