Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tesla center display storage device degraded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A0FC1A67-1D05-4A5A-A72C-0AA893987AFF.jpeg
I just received this message, what is this mean? It ask me to go to service center.

center display storage device degraded

• Informative
Reactions: CHL
...center display storage device degraded

It sounds like you have a car that's made prior to the switch to the newer MCU2 in March 2018.

You should have received an e-mail on 11/09/2020:

"Our records show that you own, or previously owned, a Model S/X that was built before March 2018. It may be eligible for Tesla’s Warranty Adjustment Program covering malfunction of a memory chip (embedded MultiMediaCard). This malfunction may result in a blank or intermittently blank touchscreen but will not impact the ability to drive your car.

Tesla is providing eligible owners who experience a malfunction no-cost repairs to this part at any Tesla Service Center for 8 years/100k miles from initial delivery date. If you do not experience a malfunction, there’s no need to take action.

If you have already paid for repairs that meet the conditions of the program, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will send reimbursement details and eligibility by February 2021.

To learn more about the program and its terms and conditions, please click the link below.
LEARN MORE
Thank you for being a Tesla customer and we apologize for any inconvenience."

• Informative
Reactions: E Dizzle
I just got this message yesterday on my Model S, after a software update, so I scheduled a service appointment. Earlier this year, my MCU died, but Tesla was able to somehow revive it. That cost $200! I wonder if I can get that back?

Possibly, but we won’t have all the details until February. So I’d say just hold on to your receipts?

I upgraded to FW 20.40.9.2 yesterday and got the same warning displayed today. I'm wondering if they added to something to the latest FW to detect the problem proactively. I'll schedule a service visit and see what happens. Maybe they were waiting for parts availability before they started notifying owners?

Im still on update 2020.36.3.1, but my 2016 Model S started acting up earlier this week and occasionally taking 10 to 15 minutes before lighting up the center display and allowing me to put in my pin to start.

The last time happened on Friday while stuck in a parking lot of a store and under the rain. So while waiting/hoping that it comes back, I made an appointment through the app for next week (center display eventually went live after about 15 minutes). Today service center texted me and asked if I had the Range mode on. I responded I don’t. So they said they are reviewing some diagnostics as they were reviewing the appointment. I suppose this should be similar to diagnostics that is apparently added to the latest update.

if you get these indications, don’t wait too long for taking it to be checked out. I’m nervous now every time I have to use it. Have been lucky so far!

Im still on update 2020.36.3.1, but my 2016 Model S started acting up earlier this week and occasionally taking 10 to 15 minutes before lighting up the center display and allowing me to put in my pin to start.
You might want to consider removing PIN to drive until this is resolved. This is one item people have reported that keeps you from being able to drive once the chip goes south.

• Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D and CHL

!

Not to sidetrack this thread but I was stuck on 2020.36.1 on my 2016 X for about 3 months. I ended up doing a reboot a couple of weeks ago. Since then I've received two upgrades (latest is x.48.12)

My Model S60 had an annual inspection on 22DEC2020. To solve slow loading of GPS navigation map, Tesla staff updated the FW on 24DEC2020. Then, I got this same warning after I drove for two days! On 28DEC2020, my car returned to service center and embedded MultimediaCard was replaced without charge.
WhatsApp Image 2020-12-31 at 18.30.37.jpeg