Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Certified Bodyshop Recommendation in the DC Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately a valet damaged my car but fortunately it happened right in front of me, TeslaCam captured everything, and the damage is limited to a scratch on the front bumper so I assume that the front bumper will need to be repainted.

I'd prefer to have this done at a Tesla certified Bodyshop. What's the best Tesla Certified bodyshop in the DC area? Can they repaint the front bumper in a day or two? Thanks so much for any recommendations!

Back in August “16, I backed into a post and creased the lift-gate and bumper. Ended up replacing the lift-gate and bumper. I got 3 estimates and ended up using SEVERN AUTO BODY 220 CHINQUAPIN RD ANNAPOLIS MD 21401 410 268-4975. They were tied with the lowest cost. I visited all 3 shops and talked to the estimators and evaluated other Tesla work in progress. Erik Rychman @Severn gave me the most confidence that the job would be done right on my 8 month old X and he was very responsive to all of my questions. They used a job estimator called Audatex. It took about two months from estimate to conclusion but that was back when repair parts for the X were just starting to be available. I was able to use the vehicle until the parts and special order (founders red) paint came in. When they did, the X was only in the shop for 3 days.
With the bumper, you have to ascertain whether the internal energy absorbent was damaged or not. If so, you will probably need to replace the entire bumper. If not, a local body shop should be able to sand and paint it.

• Helpful
Reactions: DCEV
The Tesla Service Center in Owings Mills can do body work. And they can get parts much faster than the body shops.

I'd like to find some place close to Bethesda and I'm assuming no parts are going to be needed since it is just a bumper repaint.

Anyone know what a reasonable cost is for a front bumper repaint?

PSA: When you get your car back from a valet, carefully check all around the car. Even after the damage happened right in front of me, the valet tried to deny anything happened!

Doesn't the Tesla Rockville Service Center do bodywork?

I'm honestly scared to take my car to Tesla. I just need to find a place that does impeccable work and does it efficiently and well the first time and a place where a human answers the phone when called. I'd definitely pick a reputable body show over a Tesla SC that just recently began doing painting/body work.

Last time I took my car for some minor work at the Tesla SC, they did not even look at my car for 5 days and they never updated me on the status and just about all my text messages were ignored when I asked for a status update. Love the company and the car but they really need to fix service and a big part of that is communication and having humans a customer can speak with who can help.

Reactions: AKinDC
I have had the misfortune of having three incidents requiring body repairs (one Model S and two Model 3) over the years.

I used D&V in Sterling for two repairs before they were a Tesla certified shop. Quality was fine but their customer service (and high price) was not great. I currently have my Model 3 in the shop at Chantilly Auto Body and have been very pleased with their customer service thus far. Also crazy fast how quick Tesla was able to get the parts for this repair compared to prior years where it took many weeks to get parts (progress).

However, if it is just a scratch on the front bumper cover (which is plastic), any competent body shop (or the Tesla Service center near you in Rockville) should be able to handle the repair and paint. In my opinion, the main reason to go with a Tesla certified shop would be if there was a need for more complicated repairs requiring technical expertise. The Tesla service centers likely get minor dings or touch ups needed on new or CPO cars and would have the in house or local shop with established relationship. You can schedule an appointment with the Tesla Service center on your app and upload a picture of the damage. I agree the lack of ability to talk to someone on the phone at Tesla is annoying. They do seem to have a longish lead time to get appointments (10 days or so). You could try just dropping by the service center one day and see if they could take a look at the damage on the spot since it sounds pretty minor.

Last edited:
Reactions: jthompson
Chantilly Auto body has done a couple jobs for us, Tesla and non Tesla repairs. They are a Tesla's go to shop for Tyson's. they do a lot of Tesla work. (703) 263-9599

Tesla also had us use the shop in Jessup MD, for our X. can't find contact info. They took a long time to get parts but once they were ready we were in and out in no time. Excellent work also. our employee lives up there so it was close for him.

I just looked it up and D&V Autobody would be my go to. I no longer live in the area but have used them in the past when I did and they were top notch. Last time I went they were working on Ferrari's and other high end cars and are Tesla approved....

Not sure about front bumpers but depending on the cost I actually found it cheaper to have a factory painted replacement rather then a repaint for my rear bumper. I'd contact a service center regardless to see if they can do for the front. Even if it is a little more I was in an out of the service center in a few hours. Far easier then dealing with a body shop repaint!

Almost one year ago, I took my M3 to the Rockville SC to have a serious, front bumper paint correction. They had it for five days. I was able to follow where the car was via my app. They took it to a body shop nearby, not to Owings Mills. I am sorry I do not remember the name, but if it is important to you, I would be happy to research it for you. I was given a MS loaner. My M3 came back to me in perfect condition. Things change. That was a year ago. However, based on my wonderful experience with the Rockville SC I would take it back there for a similar body problem. Just FYI.

Reactions: SZNJ and AKinDC
I just picked up my Model 3 from Chantilly Auto Body. Damage was from someone backing into the car at relatively low speed (maybe 5mph), fortunately isolated to the door. Cost to repair was $3,650.

Overall very satisfied with them compared to prior experiences at D&V in Sterling, VA. They are very responsive and provide regular updates on progress which is nice.
3 weeks from estimate to repair (and just 1 week to actually do the repair) is MUCH better than I have previously experienced and that included a slight delay to order 2 additional parts from Tesla. Work/paint quality seems good and has a lifetime warranty for original owner.
The parts order process from Tesla has gotten much better, with a new email from Tesla that shows when the parts are ordered/delivered which is nice. Parts came very fast (most were delivered in 1-2 days, the new door took 8 days to ship).

One thing to note, they had a line item on the estimate for $150 to charge the vehicle which seems a bit much. When I picked it up I noted the vehicle had not been charged at all (based on state of charge when I dropped off and typical vampire losses). They were responsive when I pointed this out and said they would credit me for this.

IMG_2842.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: J__T and jthompson
I'm located in Rockville MD. Made the 1 hour drive to Severn after doing some research.
They seemed to have the most exposure to Tesla repairs compared to the local shops (for example, Kenwood).
Ryan at Severn did an awesome job on a repaint (flaws from delivery).

I just looked it up and D&V Autobody would be my go to. I no longer live in the area but have used them in the past when I did and they were top notch. Last time I went they were working on Ferrari's and other high end cars and are Tesla approved....

Not sure about front bumpers but depending on the cost I actually found it cheaper to have a factory painted replacement rather then a repaint for my rear bumper. I'd contact a service center regardless to see if they can do for the front. Even if it is a little more I was in an out of the service center in a few hours. Far easier then dealing with a body shop repaint!
D&V auto body was highly recommended but their first opening for my fender bender repair was Jan 12 2022!