Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Certified paint shop not being used by SC.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 6 month old MS is at the service center for a couple items and one of them is repainting an area of the car that doesn't match. It was painted shortly after delivery do to a paint flaw from the factory. The SC is usually pretty good about cutting off my access to my car while it is in for service but they forgot to this time. I tracked my car and noticed it is not where it should be so I call the business that I assume it's at. This business does chassis dyno and performance tuning. I asked if he has my car and he stated he has many Tesla's there because he does all of them for the service center. I called Tesla's bodyshop number and he isn't listed as an approved paint and body shop guy. They said it should only go to a certified shop otherwise it'll void my paint warranty. The SC states that as long as it's not body damage they are allowed to do that. My issue is that the guy that is working on my car stated that he does dent, bodywork and paint for the SC all the time. Does anybody know if this is right because it doesn't seem it to me? I most upset because I was told it was going to a paint shop that I know is certified and now it's at a tiny tuning shop getting painted.

My issue is that they tell you that it's going to a Tesla certified shop and that they never use anything other than that. I even asked the name of where they were sending it and the name they told me is a certified shop. The problem is that it never went there. So you are saying you would be perfectly fine with a dyno shop painting your new $100k car instead of a certified shop? Another weird thing is that as soon as I brought this up they disabled me from being able to track my car.

When we took our MX to the SC for a paint fix, they took it to an approved body shop. I know because I was tracking the car too using the mobile app. I saw it sitting in the parking lot outside the body shop for 3 days before they moved it inside to fix. Shortly after that, they turned off the car so lost all tracking. It came back up when they powered it back on and moved it back to SC. At SC, they turned off mobile access and lost tracking again. Got a call next day and picked up the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Pentium2004
Happen to drive to the shop where it was painted to see my car without notifying Tesla. What I found was not good. The place was one bay of a building without a paint booth. Their makeshift paint booth was the back half of the bay with a two by four door sheeted in ply wood and a couple fluorescent lights. Clear coat had dust in it and they painted my door when nothing was wrong with it.

I just had my P85D in for a hood repaint (owed from my CPO pickup) and they also used a non-Tesla certified paint shop that was close to the SC. I wasn't very pleased with the paintjob. It looked better, but I can see imperfections in the paint and it had a small scratch (though I can't be 100% sure if that was there on pickup or happened from a rock on the drive home). Once I got it home under the garage lights I was disappointed. It looks much better without all the rock chips, for sure. But my experience having a BMW hood repainted by a reputable bodyshop had the hood looking brand new with no imperfections... Once the outgassing is complete, I'm hoping my detailer can work some magic before film and cQuartz.

I just had my P85D in for a hood repaint (owed from my CPO pickup) and they also used a non-Tesla certified paint shop that was close to the SC. I wasn't very pleased with the paintjob. It looked better, but I can see imperfections in the paint and it had a small scratch (though I can't be 100% sure if that was there on pickup or happened from a rock on the drive home). Once I got it home under the garage lights I was disappointed. It looks much better without all the rock chips, for sure. But my experience having a BMW hood repainted by a reputable bodyshop had the hood looking brand new with no imperfections... Once the outgassing is complete, I'm hoping my detailer can work some magic before film and cQuartz.

I was extremely dissatisfied with mine when I saw in nearly done and told them not to touch my car anymore. Tesla agreed not to and to pick it up and move to a certified shop. I then find out the next morning that they continued to work on it after being instructed not to. I ended up having to get the district manager involved to get them to listen. I basically had to threaten them to get it moved. Very disappointed with Tesla.

I was extremely dissatisfied with mine when I saw in nearly done and told them not to touch my car anymore. Tesla agreed not to and to pick it up and move to a certified shop. I then find out the next morning that they continued to work on it after being instructed not to. I ended up having to get the district manager involved to get them to listen. I basically had to threaten them to get it moved. Very disappointed with Tesla.

Well, I wrote my service advisor today (I picked the car up Wednesday, just washed it today) and sent him a pic and some videos showing the light scratches. He'll review it with his manager on Monday and get back to me.

When I picked up the car on Wednesday, they told me they hadn't washed it since it was fresh paint (good!) and recommended not doing so for at least 24 hours. However, the SC is right next to I95 here (100 feet), so there was a HUGE layer of road dust on the car as they had parked it outside in front. You couldn't see the paint through the dust in the bright sun. I was more than bummed when I got it home under the garage lights, but hoped all it needed was a wash... Nope.

Well, I wrote my service advisor today (I picked the car up Wednesday, just washed it today) and sent him a pic and some videos showing the light scratches. He'll review it with his manager on Monday and get back to me.

When I picked up the car on Wednesday, they told me they hadn't washed it since it was fresh paint (good!) and recommended not doing so for at least 24 hours. However, the SC is right next to I95 here (100 feet), so there was a HUGE layer of road dust on the car as they had parked it outside in front. You couldn't see the paint through the dust in the bright sun. I was more than bummed when I got it home under the garage lights, but hoped all it needed was a wash... Nope.

Are they buffing scratches or life someone scratched it wiping it or something?

They look like wiping scratches mostly. If they won't detail it, I think my detailer can probably buff them out. But the one 1/2 inch long
scratch that catches a nail, not sure about that one...

The one that catches your nail won’t come out. I had that same issue when I first had paint work done 6 months ago from factory paint issues. The service center manager ended up doing the buffing himself since I was pretty upset when I saw all the scratches. Turns out when they painted the quarter panel the paint guy buffed the whole car. They think he used a too aggressive compound and completely scratched the whole car.

This thread is both disturbing and disappointing. It’s the sort of thread we might get some feedback in from Jerome. I mean, JonMc. I mean... *crickets* since Elon has taken JonMc’s role and we surely won’t hear from him here.

Make that *very* disappointing.

Perhaps a tweet might garner a response.

Reactions: Pentium2004
Well, in my case, while I was surprised they used a non-Tesla certified shop, I'll give my service advisor a chance to resolve it before I'd resort to tweeting the Elon. :)

Frankly though, I'm not looking forward to giving up my car for another week (or longer) for another paint job...