Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla CHAdeMO adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On every one of those attempts, did you check Plugshare first?
Actually, yes but back then the only comment that was posted was a couple days before that it worked fine. I'm not stupid I wouldn't begin a trip knowing the chademo was down. What I didn't do is try to contact EA support by phone. According to Kyle Conner he always has a dialog with EA support and sometimes they can get things working,, sometimes not.

Look I'm not a shill for any of these systems. I recognize that Chademo is on the way out. It worked fine for me with my Leaf at the Nissan Dealer and EVGo. These are the only two that worked around here.

I have no experience with CCS like you do but can only go by so many reports of how they fail at EA. Whether it is EA's system or the Car's system is not known but compared to the reliability of Tesla Network, my choice is clear. I won't buy any other car except a Tesla for a road trip. I have no plans to go where I can't use the Tesla Supercharger or J1772 at a hotel overnight and nothing here has convinced me I need these expensive adapters. Everyone has to make their own choice. I'll drag my chademo adapter along and if it one day saves me from being towed, I'll let you know.

Reactions: Gadget63
I just received my Tesla CHAdeMO adapter from the Tesla store and tried it out this afternoon. It's rated for up to 50 kw and it charged at 46kw. It took 31 minutes to go from 55% to 83% and it put back 86 miles on the car. All in all, I am happy with the results and it's a good addition to be able to charge relatively quickly in areas where there are no Tesla Superchargers.
I was tempted to get one of these, just for an emergency. On the road, I could plug in at any Nissan dealer. At least until they kicked me out...
But at this price? For a dying charger format? Forget it!
I haven't used a commercial charger yet. Where would you use this charger, where they wouldn't also have either a Tesla head or a J1772 adapter?
I do need to sign up for EVGo.

I was tempted to get one of these, just for an emergency. On the road, I could plug in at any Nissan dealer. At least until they kicked me out...
But at this price? For a dying charger format? Forget it!
I haven't used a commercial charger yet. Where would you use this charger, where they wouldn't also have either a Tesla head or a J1772 adapter?
I do need to sign up for EVGo.

Today the most commonly commercial EVSE would be Electrify America, these are located at Walmart’s and Target stores and also shopping malls. This past May I completed a 6478 mile 14 day trip across the nation and back, did not use the CHAdeMO at all, yes it’s good to have but not needed.

The only reasons to use your J1772 adapter is to charge your other Tesla outside if you have an older EVSE and the other reason is Hotels that only have 240v chargers. I used a few on my trip.

Fred

I may be a special case, but I have and get value from the CHAdeMO adapter. I live in an older condo building and can’t charge there yet (it’s been 4 months, but I’m still working on it. There are a couple free level 2 chargers around, buts it’s not always convenient to wait 10+ hours. The closest superchargers are a 40-minute drive at best, but there is a close EA location (1 CHAdeMO) that I use fairly regularly and successfully. We have used the adapter it occasionally at other places and rarely never had a problem (assuming the charger is working and unICEed).

So…it works for me, and I’m glad I have it; but I assume I have a pretty specific use case.

I may be a special case, but I have and get value from the CHAdeMO adapter. I live in an older condo building and can’t charge there yet (it’s been 4 months, but I’m still working on it. There are a couple free level 2 chargers around, buts it’s not always convenient to wait 10+ hours. The closest superchargers are a 40-minute drive at best, but there is a close EA location (1 CHAdeMO) that I use fairly regularly and successfully. We have used the adapter it occasionally at other places and rarely never had a problem (assuming the charger is working and unICEed).

So…it works for me, and I’m glad I have it; but I assume I have a pretty specific use case.
X2

Mine maxes out at about 205mi/hr around 80-82% and yes, there are SO MANY free CHAdeMO chargers between San Diego and Bellingham. Really makes it useful here on the West Coast. Of course the old Electric Highway in Washington and Oregon is getting upgraded to higher power CCS so it won't be free forever, but it's been a great year for free mobility.

Reactions: bobby g