TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla CHAdeMo Update

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by mrjohnlnguyen, Feb 22, 2013.

1. mrjohnlnguyen

mrjohnlnguyen Member

2. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

They also say "Tesla, which uses its own proprietary “Supercharger” technology for fast direct-current (DC) charging, has also produced an adapter to go with the SAE’s enhanced J1772 specification." I would assume the "enhanced J1772 specification" is the frankenplug. I've been seeing dual CHAdeMo/SAE J1772 DC charging stations popping up.

3. mrjohnlnguyen

mrjohnlnguyen Member

Where?

4. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Very good news on the SAE Combo adapter, I'm hoping that will replace the existing J1772 adapter that comes standard with the Tesla.

5. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

I'm assuming you're asking about the Dual chargers. Here is a picture of one in Picacho, AZ:

P1010030.JPG

Opening ceremony pictures

6. allanb4me

allanb4me Member

oO i can see the naval ;)

7. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Well, the good news is that Tesla seems to keep up and provide adapters. I wonder if in 5 years or so, they'll cave in and put those connectors on all their cars? On a selfish level, I hope not. I prefer Tesla's sleek solution, and carrying around adapters really isn't all that inconvenient to me.

8. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

9. SByer

SByer '08 #383

I'd much rather have chademo through an adapter, as the standard signals on the CANbus, and knowing an adapter is in there providing a firewall for potential viruses is a happy thought. I shudder at the thought of chademo native car letting the charging station talk directly on it's own bus without a firewall. Ugh.

10. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

The Leaf has a separate CAN-bus for quick charging. No need to grant access to the main bus.

11. Beavis

Beavis Signature 991

#11 Beavis, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
    Northern Colorado is installing 4-6 of the Eaton fast chargers in a few locations. It's part of the Electrification Coalition.

12. Zextraterrestrial

I just received an e-mail response today saying no update on when the CHAdeMO adapters will be available.
    I want to go to Oregon(quickliy) :crying:
    and not just the southern Coast, which is pretty

13. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Nice that it's popping up in AZ too. In CA, the CARB has a mandate for dual plug stations and we should see at least 200 of them installed by eVgo.

14. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Active Member

funny to see FUD used against a charging technology in a BEV forum :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

I hope so... IMO it's silly to put any barriers in the way of a BEV that needs a charge.

15. RandyS

RandyS Fan of Elon

My understanding from working with them is that they will install one Chademo DC FC initially at the California Freedom Stations, and then when the agreement clause kicks in about two vendors offering combo plug chargers, then they'll add one of those to the pre-plumbed connection at each Freedom Station. They're not planning on doing dual plug stations...

16. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Here's the exact wording from the filed Settlement Agreement:

17. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

Sounds like the first will be CHAdeMO and the second can be either SAE or dual CHAdeMO&SAE. If the CHAdeMO station is heavily utilized, the second choice makes more sense IMHO.

18. Laurent

Laurent Member

I was on Maui last week and I saw some CHAdeMo chargers at the Maui Tropical Plantation.

MTP1.jpg MTP1B.jpg MTP2.jpg MTP4.jpg

19. TurboFroggy

TurboFroggy Member

Hopefully when they get those commissioned that they install proper signage and paint the parking spaces green to prevent ICEing. The second picture shows that this will certainly happen. The Volt only has a J1772, the Polaris and the Exploder are both gassers.

20. Vander

Vander Member

There are already LOTS of CHAdeMO chargers about every 40 miles on many of the highways here in WA as well as OR as a part of the "green highway" and I am told in much of Europe and Asia as well. They are in public lots by burger stations, etc, and available 24/7. Being able to access them, instead of just the slow speed adapters included with my car would make trips to the airport / city, etc infinitely more convenient. In speaking with Tesla customer support last week, I was told that "there are no current plans to create a CHAdeMO adapter for the S" in spite of the enormous benefit that it would provide for people like me that have a CHAdeMO infrustructure already in place. He took my VIN # and submitted a request in to his superiors to consider it's development. He told me that the more people that placed such a request, the more influence it would have on Tesla. If you are reading this thread and want Tesla to create a high speed (ChAdeMO) adapter, please call customer service (877-798-3752) and request that they prioritize it. Better yet, if you have any influence (?tweet-o-sphere; publishing, etc) do whatever you think might help this effort along.