Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla CHAdeMo Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the 40kwh owners its sad they can't use the CHAdeMo chargers

We are working on a CHAdeMO port for the Tesla powered Toyota Rav4 EV called "JdeMO". It is likely that it would be very easy for us to do the Mercedes B-Class ED and the 40kWh Tesla Model S.

I have no idea where to physically install the CHAdeMO inlet on the latter two cars, but the Rav4 EV will have that under the hood.

The CHAdeMo is much larger than the J1772 and the Tesla plug. The J1772 is a straight adapter just moving the pins where it needs them and both are similar in size keeping the adapter small. The CHAdeMo adapter seems a bit more involved and just a guess on my part is it makes the Model S believe its at a Supercharger not a CHAdeMo charger. Thats why you need Supercharging enabled and given just the size and weight of the CHAdeMo connector, the adapter would be larger as well. It would be nice to have a small adapter like the J1772 but right now I'd rather have it cheaper. For the 40kwh owners its sad they can't use the CHAdeMo chargers

Since the 40 kWh cars are simply software limited 60s they can but have to pay Tesla for upgrade then buy the adapter. Would seem a better use of funds to gain extra range then go aftermarket for alter your car for CHAdeMO for maybe half the cost.

Since the 40 kWh cars are simply software limited 60s they can but have to pay Tesla for upgrade then buy the adapter. Would seem a better use of funds to gain extra range then go aftermarket for alter your car for CHAdeMO for maybe half the cost.

I don't know about "half the cost". The upgrade from 40kWh to 60kWh is about $10k? Then, another $2500-ish for Supercharger access. So, about $12,500 total. Plus, you need a $1000 adaptor to use CHAdeMO.

What if a Tesla owner is perfectly happy with 40kWh's and just wants DC quick charging? That would be about a $2500 add-on. No adaptors.

So, not even close to "half".

I don't know about "half the cost". The upgrade from 40kWh to 60kWh is about $10k? Then, another $2500-ish for Supercharger access. So, about $12,500 total. Plus, you need a $1000 adaptor to use CHAdeMO.

What if a Tesla owner is perfectly happy with 40kWh's and just wants DC quick charging? That would be about a $2500 add-on. No adaptors.

So, not even close to "half".

So I assume this service is something you will be offering for the Model S? I was guessing what I thought a conversion of adding the port to a Model S would cost much more than $2,500.

So I assume this service is something you will be offering for the Model S? I was guessing what I thought a conversion of adding the port to a Model S would cost much more than $2,500.

The assumption at this stage of the game is that the Toyota Rav4 EV and Tesla Model S are virtually identical in terms of the way the Tesla firmware controls the battery.

If so, ya, probably $2500-ish. Maybe more, maybe less.

There is no firm plan to do this, mostly because there are so few 40kWh Model S cars.

If Tesla's CHAdeMo adapter remains "coming soon" for a few more years, maybe there will be a market to add CHAdeMo ports to SC enabled Model S cars.

Could Tesla be having difficulty convincing regulators that adapters are OK for the general public to use for 50-100 kW connections?

GSP