Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla CHAdeMo Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ecotality/Blink is trying out a $5 ($8 for "guests") flat fee in California. They might change it based on the negative feedback, but it's clear those chargers will be changed to paid in the near future.
http://green.autoblog.com/2013/07/12/blink-tries-out-5-dc-fast-charge-flat-fee-for-evs-folks-not-ha/

Hmm, if there was a Tesla adapter, $5 would be a good deal, assuming you are recharging from about 50%. A Leaf with a fairly depleted battery (say needs 20KWh charge) would be paying $.25 per kwh at 100% efficiency. Probably more like $.21 when you factor 15% inefficiency. I think that's fairly reasonable, especially considering the relatively high electricity rates in California.

I don't see a U.S. CHAdeMO adapter as being high priority. They are only deployed in a few places around the country and there is no coherent plan for further roll out.

Tesla has plans to roll out Superchargers across the entire U.S. It is one of the huge selling points for Tesla's over other EVs. It is short sighted to only install chargers where EV adoption is high, as this leads to the chicken and the egg problem. EV adoption is low in some places likely because there is no charging infrastructure in those places. It is very smart of Tesla to have a plan that covers almost all of the U.S.

That said, there is no drawback for the consumer to have an additional adapter option. I would guess Tesla will eventually get around to making one, but it's probably more complicated than other adapters and Tesla probably has higher priorities at the moment. If CHAdeMO gets more heavily deployed, the priority of making an adapter for it will go up.

Woo-hooo!!! These are sweet words:

"A CHAdeMO adapter will be available later this year for use with CHAdeMO public charging stations"

This means European and Japanese cars (at least) will have an actual CHAdeMO adapter - it isn't a port that's built into the car. That means that once it's in Europe, it can be used in the U.S. as well.

Anyway, after the TesLive presentations it now seems obvious that Tesla will be releasing it in the U.S at the same time.

I don't see a U.S. CHAdeMO adapter as being high priority. They are only deployed in a few places around the country and there is no coherent plan for further roll out.

Are you serious CHAdeMO outnumbers super charger 10-1 now in the USA. Tennessee for example has 14 public CHAdeMO stations along major interstates and NO plans for any superchargers until 2015. Look at Plug-Share for more data.

Now I agree Tesla's supercharger is superior but a CHAdeMO at 40 kw beats a public J-1772 at 6kw any day.

Woo-hooo!!! These are sweet words:

"A CHAdeMO adapter will be available later this year for use with CHAdeMO public charging stations"

This means European and Japanese cars (at least) will have an actual CHAdeMO adapter - it isn't a port that's built into the car. That means that once it's in Europe, it can be used in the U.S. as well.

Anyway, after the TesLive presentations it now seems obvious that Tesla will be releasing it in the U.S at the same time.

Whoohoo!!! There are a LOT of Chademo stations in Washington and Oregon, I would buy this adapter in a heartbeat. Nothing is more frustrating than charging at 7KW while a Leaf charges right next to you at 50KW.

That means that once it's in Europe, it can be used in the U.S. as well.

Not necessarily. The European Model S clearly uses a different port (see the pdf document), so a CHAdeMO adapter made for the European market will not work in the US. European deliveries should start this month.

A Japanese market one should work, but no written confirmation when it will come. Japanese (and Hong Kong) deliveries should start near the end of the year. They have to engineer the LHD version first, which will take longer.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you serious CHAdeMO outnumbers super charger 10-1 now in the USA. Tennessee for example has 14 public CHAdeMO stations along major interstates and NO plans for any superchargers until 2015. Look at Plug-Share for more data.
I think what he means is there are zero CHAdeMO chargers anywhere near him (Kansas City). In fact, the closest DC chargers to him right now is the supercharger station in Normal, IL!

Plus there's plans for superchargers along I-70 on both the Kansas and Missouri side near Kansas City in the 2014-2015 time frame. No such plans for CHAdeMO chargers yet.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=http://www.chademo.com/kml/CHAdeMO_map_in_130704.kml
http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

The only chance of places outside of Leaf-heavy areas of getting a CHAdeMO charger is if a nearby Nissan dealer installs one. But that does not necessarily give non-Nissan and non-customers of that dealer access to it.

Last edited:
Yes, there is...

Leaf plugged into the only J1772 in the area with an empty CHAdeMO bay right next to it.

(Leavenworth 2 weeks ago).

Ug that would suck. I would check to see if the Leaf had any contact info left on the dash, that is the polite thing to do, the called them and ask them to move to the Chademo. If no contact info, and the Chademo would have reached, I would have used my fob to activate the Chademo and moved them to that to finish them up.

Ug that would suck. I would check to see if the Leaf had any contact info left on the dash, that is the polite thing to do, the called them and ask them to move to the Chademo. If no contact info, and the Chademo would have reached, I would have used my fob to activate the Chademo and moved them to that to finish them up.
You are assuming the Leaf had a CHAdeMO outlet and the DC charging option (which it might not have had). There's a good chance it didn't have that option.

You are assuming the Leaf had a CHAdeMO outlet and the DC charging option (which it might not have had). There's a good chance it didn't have that option.

Well I would estimate that 3/4 of the Leafs I have ever seen have a Chademo port on them. A Leaf without a Chademo port cannot make it to Leavenworth without fast charging. Chances of a local in Leavenworth, who would need a charge would be rare, Leavenworth just isn't that big distance wise for a local.

My guess is they charged to 80% on the Chademo, them moved to the L2 to finish up. The Leaf charges just as fast on L2 as Chademo when you get past about 85% SOC. The Leaf person was more than likely just trying to be courteous to other Leaf drivers who might be wanting to fast charge on their way though town.

80% to 100% on a Leaf, even a 2011/2012 with a 3.3KW onboard charger is about 90 minutes, about 45 minutes on a 2013 with a 6.6KW charger.

Look at the 3 blue lights on the dash of the Leaf, if they are solid on or off, it is done charging. If they are flashing still, it is still charging. Off or solid 3, go ahead and unplug it, fob the station and plug yourself in, they are done.

I think what he means is there are zero CHAdeMO chargers anywhere near him (Kansas City). In fact, the closest DC chargers to him right now is the supercharger station in Normal, IL!

Plus there's plans for superchargers along I-70 on both the Kansas and Missouri side near Kansas City in the 2014-2015 time frame. No such plans for CHAdeMO chargers yet.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=http://www.chademo.com/kml/CHAdeMO_map_in_130704.kml
http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

The only chance of places outside of Leaf-heavy areas of getting a CHAdeMO charger is if a nearby Nissan dealer installs one. But that does not necessarily give non-Nissan and non-customers of that dealer access to it.

Thanks for the CHAdeMO map link. I was actually looking at an older CHAdeMO map (I was originally looking at this one, but it's very outdated now: Quick Charger location map CHAdeMO - Google Maps). I can see from the newer map that there has been a lot of expansion in Washington and Oregon. That's great.

@dhrivnak -- But, it's still somewhat limited in it's usefulness to a Tesla owner. A Tesla has a long enough range that there is really no significant need for fast chargers around the town you live in; you can just charge at home. It would only really be useful for trips. And a lot of the CHAdeMO deployments so far are not really set up for highway travel, but clustered around metro areas (Washington/Oregon and a Tennessee triangle being the exceptions to that).

I will be getting a Tesla. How useful would a CHAdeMO adapter be for me? I live in Kansas City. As stopcrazypp pointed out, it's a loooong long way to the nearest CHAdeMO charger. I need to be able to travel along I-70, from Denver to St. Louis. When will there be CHAdeMO chargers along that route? There are not even any showing along the east coast yet. When they do come to my area, they might just be clustered around Denver, Kansas City and St. Louis, which would still be mostly useless to me.

Again, I'm not suggesting they shouldn't make a CHAdeMO adapter. I hope they do. And I hope that someday CHAdeMO stations will be located in places that are useful to me. But it's hard to say when, if ever, that will be. I think that's the problem. Tesla has priorities, and a CHAdeMO adapter in the U.S. is not going to be a high priority until CHAdeMO gets rolled out more, or at least has solid plans to. Drop a bucket load of CHAdeMO chargers along the east coast and I think then you will see a Tesla CHAdeMO charge adapter come out.

In europe the chademo-adapter should arrive at the end of the year

Dropbox - EU_CHARGING_EN_MAY13.pdf

Erm, guys? Take a look at that PDF. Notice particularly the photos of the European car's charging port.

Any adapter produced for the Euro cars looks like it absolutely will NOT work with US autos. It's a completely different plug on the car.

It might be possible to just use the same circuitry to create a US CHAdeMO adapter with the connector that we're all familiar with, then again it might not. Depends what all those extra pins are for. The Euro cars might have other conductors or circuitry that enables CHAdeMO compatibility, but which is not included in the US connectors.

I sure hope it's an easy conversion, and that there will be a US adapter. I have several CHAdeMO stations near me that I'd love to use. But that picture really makes me wonder how simple the conversion might be.

Thanks for the link, JCSTP.

Erm, guys? Take a look at that PDF. Notice particularly the photos of the European car's charging port.

Any adapter produced for the Euro cars looks like it absolutely will NOT work with US autos. It's a completely different plug on the car.

It might be possible to just use the same circuitry to create a US CHAdeMO adapter with the connector that we're all familiar with, then again it might not. Depends what all those extra pins are for. The Euro cars might have other conductors or circuitry that enables CHAdeMO compatibility, but which is not included in the US connectors.

I sure hope it's an easy conversion, and that there will be a US adapter. I have several CHAdeMO stations near me that I'd love to use. But that picture really makes me wonder how simple the conversion might be.

Thanks for the link, JCSTP.
My take from watching Jerome Guillen at TESLIVE is that there will eventually be a Chademo adapter in the US. He said he couldn't say, but... If you watch the video, I think you'll agree it's on Tesla's list.

Those CHAdeMO google maps don't show any East coast chargers when in fact there are several installed and many in the works (Pennsylvania State plan)
PA Turnpike finally getting chargers

If you check out plugshare, there are 3 CHAdeMO's in the Washigton, DC area (EV GO), 1 in southern NJ, 2 in NYC area, and 1 in Florida. The CHAdeMO chargers are becoming more nation-wide and less of a West Coast phenomenon and Tesla needs to develop an option for Model S owners to take advantage of these IMO.

Saw the European Model S charge port at the factory last week (no pics allowed); we were told that the primary reason for the difference is to facilitate 3-phase charging.