Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla changed Delivery date again. Can I delay taking delivery to Dec 27

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone. Anyone knows how long can I request to delay the delivery date without putting the delivery on HOLD? Let us say from current delivery date of Dec 7th to Dec 27th.
This is not the way I wanted to take delivery of the much anticipated MYP but I guess its a series of unexpected events. While I understand that Tesla has all the reasons to change the confirmed delivery dates due to logistical challenges, delays etc, I am trying to see if they can accommodate delivery dates without putting it on hold since I have already made the full payment.

Here are the details. Order date was September first week and expected delivery was early to mid November. EDD had gone up and down, but EDD was more or less around Nov 20th. Finally got Ready for Delivery Update from Tesla, was assigned a vin number, I completed all the requested tasks like insurance, made full payments etc. Meanwhile, due to personal reasons I had planned for a out of country trip in December.

Two back or so, got Delivery confirmation/scheduled for Nov 28th. Since my original plans were to travel out on Dec 1st, I went back and changed my travel plans to fly out on Dec 4th to be on the safe side incase some delay happens from Tesla. Yesterday I got another notification that scheduled delivery will be Dec 7th

So my question is can I ask them to delay the delivery till I come back by Dec 27th? Try to talk to one of the reps at the local store but he was not helpful and advised me to put it on Hold. Given the recent cancelation emails, since Tesla has taken the full payment etc etc I am not sure I don't want to do that or even putting on Hold is even possible.

Appreciate your inputs and view points regarding next steps. Thanks!

Pretty sure tesla will only delay a particular car for 3 days. They will not hold a specific car much longer than that 3 day period. Maybe a day or two longer if you get specific exception but not much longer than that, for a specific vehicle.

Hello everyone. Anyone knows how long can I request to delay the delivery date without putting the delivery on HOLD? Let us say from current delivery date of Dec 7th to Dec 27th.
This is not the way I wanted to take delivery of the much anticipated MYP but I guess its a series of unexpected events. While I understand that Tesla has all the reasons to change the confirmed delivery dates due to logistical challenges, delays etc, I am trying to see if they can accommodate delivery dates without putting it on hold since I have already made the full payment.

Here are the details. Order date was September first week and expected delivery was early to mid November. EDD had gone up and down, but EDD was more or less around Nov 20th. Finally got Ready for Delivery Update from Tesla, was assigned a vin number, I completed all the requested tasks like insurance, made full payments etc. Meanwhile, due to personal reasons I had planned for a out of country trip in December.

Two back or so, got Delivery confirmation/scheduled for Nov 28th. Since my original plans were to travel out on Dec 1st, I went back and changed my travel plans to fly out on Dec 4th to be on the safe side incase some delay happens from Tesla. Yesterday I got another notification that scheduled delivery will be Dec 7th

So my question is can I ask them to delay the delivery till I come back by Dec 27th? Try to talk to one of the reps at the local store but he was not helpful and advised me to put it on Hold. Given the recent cancelation emails, since Tesla has taken the full payment etc etc I am not sure I don't want to do that or even putting on Hold is even possible.

Appreciate your inputs and view points regarding next steps. Thanks!
Good luck! Im also curious about this too. I’m in a similar boat only I booked my trip 2 weeks before my last EDD and found out yesterday EDD got bumped up to my last 2 days of my trip. I’m waiting to see if my EDD changes again before I freak out. I might even canceled my trip or move return date up if really needed but hoping not to.

If this a vacation trip by me alone I would have cancelled it but unfortunately that is not the case.

I have more or less decided to put the delivery on Hold. Based on some recent posts I have seen, I assume that Tesla is ok to hold it for 30 days (with the understanding that you will never know where you will end in the queue after the hold). Appreciate if anyone knows the 30 day limit for good for sure. Btw my order date is Sep5 with initial delivery scheduled for Nov 28th 10 am which was changed to Dec 7th 2 pm now. It’s already paid in full… though no fault of theirs, Tesla will have my money and car 😅

I just had this exact scenario happen to me, over the Thanksgiving holiday.

Order date was 7/28, and My EDD was narrowed to 11/18-11/20 after I had completed payment and was 'ready for delivery'. I was out of town from 11/14-11/27. Unfortunately Tesla would not hold the car for more than 3 days, and my SA informed me that they would release the VIN to another person waiting.

My SA tried to help me, and he even suggested someone local to my area could pickup the car for me (Tesla offered to do power of attorney and send me the documents to get printed and signed by a notary). But in the end none of those options worked, and they released the VIN.

Now my EDD is 1/1-1/29, which I am not happy about. My SA believes I may take delivery earlier, in December, but again the official status says January.

Reactions: Swoop
I just had this exact scenario happen to me, over the Thanksgiving holiday.

Order date was 7/28, and My EDD was narrowed to 11/18-11/20 after I had completed payment and was 'ready for delivery'. I was out of town from 11/14-11/27. Unfortunately Tesla would not hold the car for more than 3 days, and my SA informed me that they would release the VIN to another person waiting.

My SA tried to help me, and he even suggested someone local to my area could pickup the car for me (Tesla offered to do power of attorney and send me the documents to get printed and signed by a notary). But in the end none of those options worked, and they released the VIN.

Now my EDD is 1/1-1/29, which I am not happy about. My SA believes I may take delivery earlier, in December, but again the official status says January.
Keep the January date, it's looking like the revised tax credits won't include purchases in 2021.

Appreciate if anyone knows whether Tesla is good with 30 day Hold period. My order date is Sep5 with initial delivery scheduled for Nov 28th 10 am
which was changed to Dec 7th 2 pm. It’s already paid in full.

With my travel planned for Dec 4th, I have to put the delivery on Hold (Out of country travel plans were finalized based on confirmed Nov28th delivery schedule)

Appreciate if anyone knows whether Tesla is good with 30 day Hold period. My order date is Sep5 with initial delivery scheduled for Nov 28th 10 am
which was changed to Dec 7th 2 pm. It’s already paid in full.

With my travel planned for Dec 4th, I have to put the delivery on Hold (Out of country travel plans were finalized based on confirmed Nov28th delivery schedule)

You should be fine for 30 days, but I would suggest ask your SA (explain your situation) and also check the fine print of order agreement.

Keep the January date, it's looking like the revised tax credits won't include purchases in 2021.
For the reason of tax credit, I would like to take delivery in January, but Tesla is pushing to take delivery in December. they said , If I don't take delivery in December and put my account on hold again, then they will cancel my order and keep my order fee. (They can do that, because I ordered actually 6 month ago and hold until now). Should I take the delivery or can I negotiate? Lol

Reactions: preilly44
Thanks everyone for their inputs. I talked to one of the reps in Tesla. They were perfectly fine to put the hold for 30 days from Dec 7th to Jan 7th. However he did ask me a question
- Is this your first Vin allocated? I said yes
btw my order date is Sep 5th with actual delivery date scheduled for Nov 28th which Tesla rescheduled to Dec 7th

Thanks everyone for their inputs. I talked to one of the reps in Tesla. They were perfectly fine to put the hold for 30 days from Dec 7th to Jan 7th. However he did ask me a question
- Is this your first Vin allocated? I said yes
btw my order date is Sep 5th with actual delivery date scheduled for Nov 28th which Tesla rescheduled to Dec 7th
Please post your final experience of when you get the new Tesla in Jan.

Reactions: doozenberg
Picked up my car at noon at Burbank. Accepted delivery and then the app would not sync. There were three of us and apparently a new issue so they manually unlocked the car and off we went. Got home and called Tesla support and apparently there is a problem with the app refreshing and they are working on it. No ETA but he thinks it should work tomorrow morning. I also just finished applying the Muguier Ceramic Detailer spray. Below are a few observations.

1. After spending 1.5 hours, the paint is perfect. I can't find any flaws, wow.
2. The gaps are all fine with the exception of a slight gap in both rear doors.
3. The driver's door doesn't shut easily and definitely have to use force and will need it adjusted. The passenger front is fine.
4. Yes it has Michelins....yay.
5. My steering wheel is off center....annoying but one of my pet peeves so definitely will have to have that corrected.
6. No rattles and drives great.

I said goodbye to my Model 3 P/Stealth two months ago and those 68 days were the slowest 68 that I can remember.
IMG_0949.jpeg
IMG_0951.jpeg
IMG_0953.jpeg
IMG_0954.jpeg

Picked up my car at noon at Burbank. Accepted delivery and then the app would not sync. There were three of us and apparently a new issue so they manually unlocked the car and off we went. Got home and called Tesla support and apparently there is a problem with the app refreshing and they are working on it. No ETA but he thinks it should work tomorrow morning. I also just finished applying the Muguier Ceramic Detailer spray. Below are a few observations.

1. After spending 1.5 hours, the paint is perfect. I can't find any flaws, wow.
2. The gaps are all fine with the exception of a slight gap in both rear doors.
3. The driver's door doesn't shut easily and definitely have to use force and will need it adjusted. The passenger front is fine.
4. Yes it has Michelins....yay.
5. My steering wheel is off center....annoying but one of my pet peeves so definitely will have to have that corrected.
6. No rattles and drives great.

I said goodbye to my Model 3 P/Stealth two months ago and those 68 days were the slowest 68 that I can remember.View attachment 743003View attachment 743004View attachment 743005View attachment 743006
Posted to the wrong thread. Sorry all