Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla changed my Plaid Plus to Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess its official. After a phone call from Tesla Sales last week asking me to switch my order to Plaid, which I asked them to email me telling me Tesla is not going to make the Plaid Plus, (they said they can not email something like that) I now see they changed my order in my account to a Plaid and at the increased price of $10,000. WTF Tesla! I told them I was not interested in the change and they did it anyways. They did however leave the contract for my Plaid Plus. I have purchased 5 Teslas (2014 S P85D enhanced auto pilot, 2017 S P100D w/FSD, 2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 S Performance w/FSD and 2020 Model Y Performance w/FSD) and this is how they treat me?? Why they would not at least give me the price of the Plaid from the time I made my reservation of $119,000. I guess they are getting very greedy. I guess the new business model of Tesla is now to screw long time customers like me. So sad cuz I really like my Teslas.

Attachments

• plaid cancel1.JPG
    plaid cancel1.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 373
  • plaid plus2.JPG
    plaid plus2.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 169
  • plaid cancel4.JPG
    plaid cancel4.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 183
when you think you have no competition (currently, its kind of true) and you can sell cars sight unsold, you just stop caring what other people think of you.

the sooner there is real competition for tesla, the better for everyone.

just cancel; I would not give tesla $120k when they act this way. that's a whole HOUSE (or two houses) in many areas of the country. sometimes, people forget that simple fact.

As many others have reported in other threads, Tesla is honoring the price it was when the plaid+ order was made. They updated my order a few days ago with everyone else and I just received an updated order agreement via email. Mine shows the 119k price. There may just be a mistake with yours... time to call them and they should fix it for you.

Reactions: bhzmark
I called in to cancel and they're saying the deposit is now non-refundable since they converted the order (without my consent).

Just placed a chargeback with my credit card company.

I just got an email from them converting my order without my consent too.

That's f'ing BS that they're claiming the deposit is not refundable. Many of us ordered the Plaid+ and they(Tesla) were the ones that decided not to build the Plaid+.

What number did you call? I called (888) ‍518-3752 last night and the recording said their sales department was closed on the weekends.

What number did you call? I called (888) ‍518-3752 last night and the recording said their sales department was closed on the weekends.
Same number, option 1, option 1, option 3. Just got off the phone with them less than 10 minutes ago, and just placed the chargeback with Chase.

I still have my original Plaid + order agreement in my email. If the chargeback doesn't work, this is a pretty open and shut small claims case. Tesla and I had a contract, they changed the contract without my consent, which is a breach of contract. Easy.

I smell a class-action with them refusing refunds. 👃

I'm not touching a thing on the Tesla.com site. No cancel request, no spec changes, nothing.

I actually converted my Plaid + order the day it was cancelled. In doing so they honored the "old" plaid price. They also are going to honor my $8k price on FSD.
Im sure if you guys make a call, it can be remedied. Mind you they cannot reduce my FSD until I get my VIN.
Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 12.48.56 PM.png

Reactions: bhzmark
Here's more BS... download the latest order agreement.

Below the Destination and Doc fee, mine now has a $1000 Order Fee. My previous agreement for the Plaid+ did not have that.

I wonder if people that had their order converted and purchased the car noticed it?

View attachment 675362
Lol, I didn't even notice that. So they're still making you pay "full price" by CHARGING you for the "$1,000 refundable deposit" that was supposed to go towards the order anyways, and not compensating you for it.

Beyond scummy, and a clear breach of contract.

I did notice the 1000 order fee. Before it was a deposit going towards the price of the car or downpayment. Now its just a order fee. That is irritating. Not sure what I want to do. Just got the email an hour ago, and that it shows if I want to go thru with order to log into account. The did however honor the 120k price, but shows 10k for FSD. I will just cancel FSD if it do get it. But have my P100D lease till Nov. And have other cars to drive, so was willing to wait till June 2022 for plaid plus. Since I can't talk to anyone right now, will wait till the weekdays and see what they say. This forum is helpful to hear what you guys are doing

I actually converted my Plaid + order the day it was cancelled. In doing so they honored the "old" plaid price. They also are going to honor my $8k price on FSD.
Im sure if you guys make a call, it can be remedied. Mind you they cannot reduce my FSD until I get my VIN.
View attachment 675372

Did you notice they charged you a $100 Order Fee? It's the same amount as your Order Deposit.

Wow the cutoff for AMEX to dispute the charge is long past - was flat out refused to dispute the charge.

This is seriously the final straw with this company if they don't right this issue.. I am pretty tempted to sell all of my shares and never look back.

Cannot believe they think this is remotely acceptable.
Small claims court, that's my plan if chargeback fails. Tesla operates and delivers cars in all 50 states....

Thankfully Chase gives me 180 days to dispute a charge.

Reactions: repoanything
I did just noticed they did give me the price of the Plaid at $119,000 but I did not want this car. What they also did was changed my price of FSD to $10,000 from the 8k on my plaid plus order. I to just canceled my order and surprise surprise, NO REFUND. Just canceled the charge on my credit card. These guy are really pieces of *sugar*! If anyone out there is in AZ, please let me know. I would like other AZ people to also contact the Arizona Attorney Generals office to file a complaint.
Did you notice they charged you a $100 Order Fee? It's the same amount as your Order Deposit.
The deposit on the Plaid Plus was $1000. Some of us do not want the Plaid. I was buying the Plaid Plus for the extra range. Now they tell me I don't get a refund? I also contacted my sales person today and she never called me back so I just canceled. I cant believe a company lie Tesla would treat its customers like this.

Attachments

• plaid cancel6.JPG
    plaid cancel6.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 153
  • plaid cancel5.JPG
    plaid cancel5.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 159
I did just noticed they did give me the price of the Plaid at $119,000 but I did not want this car. What they also did was changed my price of FSD to $10,000 from the 8k on my plaid plus order. I to just canceled my order and surprise surprise, NO REFUND. Just canceled the charge on my credit card. These guy are really pieces of *sugar*! If anyone out there is in AZ, please let me know. I would like other AZ people to also contact the Arizona Attorney Generals office to file a complaint.

The deposit on the Plaid Plus was $1000. Some of us do not want the Plaid. I was buying the Plaid Plus for the extra range. Now they tell me I don't get a refund? I also contacted my sales person today and she never called me back so I just canceled. I cant believe a company lie Tesla would treat its customers like this.
I wouldn't of touched the refund button.

They'll take your cancellation as "consent" to your accepting that non-refundable bullshit. This can be used against you in court or your chargeback case as "evidence" that you accepted their removal of the reservation and their keeping of the fee.

I'm going to leave it sitting right there. Definitely do contact FTC and Attorney General for your state. It's outright Fraud.

Exactly the same thing happened to me a couple days ago. Plaid+ reservation was involuntarily converted to plaid, at which point i cancelled and the refund was refused without explanation. It‘s unfortunate that such great cars are made by a company that I will never do business with again.
You've kept your end of the contract by keeping the Plaid+ order and you did not cancel or convert it into Plaid.

It's Tesla who did not keep its end of the contract by forcing the order into Plaid.

Thus, Tesla should return you the deposit because it broke the contract.

Legally, it's not that hard to understand but economically, I understand why Tesla did that because it's you who lost the money and not Tesla.

You've kept your end of the contract by keeping the Plaid+ order and you did not cancel or convert it into Plaid.

It's Tesla who did not keep its end of the contract by forcing the order into Plaid.

Thus, Tesla should return you the deposit because it broke the contract.

Legally, it's not that hard to understand but economically, I understand why Tesla did that because it's you who lost the money and not Tesla.
This is the complain I've written to the FTC and my Attorney General's office. I'll also be using this text in my small claims court case, if it gets that far.

On March 11th I placed a "refundable deposit" of $1,000 for a reservation on Tesla's new Model S Plaid Plus vehicle. This reservation was to secure my place in line for the production of my Plaid Plus vehicle in Fall of 2022.

On March 31st I changed the color of my vehicle, and the order was updated.

On June 6th, Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla, announced that the Plaid Plus version of Model S was cancelled. Despite this announcement, the company itself had no awareness of this cancellation happening. My order was also still available on the website, and was still fully accessible. Mr Musk has a proven history of telling lies about his company, despite fines and warnings from the Security Exchange Commission, on social media platforms, and so as a result, I kept my reservation.

On June 8th, I received a call from Tesla, asking if I would like to change my Plaid Plus reservation to a regular Plaid Model S. I declined this offer, and said I would like to keep my Plaid Plus reservation. My reasoning behind keeping my Plaid Plus reservation was that the Plaid Plus model would have 130 more miles of range than the regular Plaid version of the vehicle, as well as increased horsepower. This was more lucrative to me and beneficial, as it would allow me to save a lot of time on trips I have to make for work, and also give me the capability to stop flying to make specific trips for work as well.

On June 19th (a Saturday), I received a message that my Plaid Plus order had been changed to regular Plaid without my consent. No contact was attempted, and I was never made aware that this change was going to happen to my reservation. I contacted Tesla Sales and was told that this change was permanent, and that if I cancelled, my "refundable deposit" would no longer be returned to me, as it was no longer considered a "Reservation", and instead was now considered an "Order".

This absolutely confused and infuriated me, and I inquired further. The representative I spoke to claimed to have "no control" over the situation, and despite my pressing for a manager or attempt at a refund on my claimed "refundable deposit", all attempts to escalate were rebuked.

Online, it also shows that Tesla is now charging a supposed $1,000 "Order Fee" if I was to place the regular Plaid Model S, effectively negating the $1,000 "deposit" that was put on the reservation in the first place. This "Order Fee" is only being charged to Plaid Plus members that have been switched to regular Plaid models, and is a clear attempt at holding my deposit hostage.

This is a clear breach of contract from the original agreement between Tesla Motors Inc and I. I placed a "refundable deposit" for a reservation place for a product that is no longer being delivered to me in the condition or form originally agreed upon. Tesla seemingly believes they can ignore US Code 15 U.S. Code § 7001, Section C, Part 1, Sub-Section B - General rule of validity, which prevents the changing of electronically recorded contracts without the consent of the consumer and also Uniform Commercial Code § 2-209 supplemented by the US Restatement (Second) of Contracts §89(a) that states that the modification of a contract does not require its own consideration ONLY IF the modification was made in good faith and was voluntarily accepted by both parties.

I have placed a chargeback through my credit card company to recover my funds from this fraudulent breach of contract, JP Morgan Chase, and have ceased all further communication about this issue with Tesla.