Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla changed my Plaid Plus to Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I’m going to use this text for my complaints also if you don’t mind. It just blows my mind that Tesla would pull this on us.
Sure, just make sure you update it with your information LOL.

I also sent in copies of my original plaid plus order agreement, the color change order agreement, the non-consenual change to plaid "agreement", and a picture of the tesla website showing the deposit as being "non-returnable".

As much as Tesla wants it to, agreements or contracts cannot include consent from a consumer that supersedes US code. They have no legal standing in this matter to keep the deposit, or even change the reservation without your consent. The most they can legally do is cancel the reservation completely, and refund you your deposit, which we all know has not happened here.

I would cancel a CyberTruck reservation at this point, if I had one. Can't wait to hear about people getting their "Tri-Motor, 500+ mile range CyberTruck reservation changed?!!" on twitter. This is top tier shady business behavior. Insane they're worth this much as a company.

Last edited:
Sure, just make sure you update it with your information LOL.

I also sent in copies of my original plaid plus order agreement, the color change order agreement, the non-consenual change to plaid "agreement", and a picture of the tesla website showing the deposit as being "non-returnable".

You should also mention they advertised the Plaid+ with a 520mi range and that was the main reason you ordered it.

Tesla failing to meet their promises and acting like dicks? Stop the press!

I thought that Elon Musk was a saintly man who never told a lie.
You jest, but companies need to be held accountable for deceiving consumers.

There's even a reasonable argument to be made that Tesla KNEW the Plaid wouldn't sell well vs the current models because it's literally only an updated interior + more horsepower (no real range increase = no more real-world utility other than scratching people's speed itch), and baited in people with promises of the Plaid Plus, only to downgrade them later and convert the sale by forcing people to "eat your deposit or buy the car for cheaper than "retail"", and "cancelling" a product they never actually intended to make.

Last edited:
If you all just call Tesla they will be happy to refund the $1k. Just make the call, I got a refund on my Plaid +, made a new reservation, told them my new RN so they can keep my place in line as well as modify the $2k difference for FSD Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 8.31.41 PM.png
Your $1k is only a phone call away.

If you all just call Tesla they will be happy to refund the $1k. Just make the call, I got a refund on my Plaid +, made a new reservation, told them my new RN so they can keep my place in line as well as modify the $2k difference for FSDView attachment 675451
Your $1k is only a phone call away.
I called them literally today and they said "no refund".

You called 9 days ago, before they started "converting" orders without telling people and without consent.

You jest, but companies need to be held accountable for deceiving consumers.

There's even a reasonable argument to be made that Tesla KNEW the Plaid wouldn't sell well vs the current models because it's literally only an updated interior + more horsepower (no real range increase = no more real-world utility other than scratching people's speed itch), and baited in people with promises of the Plaid Plus, only to downgrade them later and convert the sale by forcing people to "eat your deposit or buy the car for cheaper than "retail"", and "cancelling" a product they never actually intended to make.

I agree with all you say. I'm just not as surprised as some of you seem to be. There's a reason I have always waited for Tesla products to mature before stepping in and getting one. The Model Y is their fourth product and it's definitely al dente. All Tesla products before it were just plain raw. I waited for the Power Wall 2s, not the first gen. Looked at the roof, and those are far from primetime.

Your text seems great - not to be pedantic, but it’s Securities and Exchange Commission, not Security

Own your pedantry. Own it!

If I had put down either a $50k or $200k (I think there were both) “refundable” reservation a few years ago on an as-yet nonexistent roadster, I would feel a little nervous right now.

I believe the term is "feel stupid". "feel a little nervous" doesn't cut it.

Here's more BS... download the latest order agreement.

Below the Destination and Doc fee, mine now has a $1000 Order Fee. My previous agreement for the Plaid+ did not have that.

I wonder if people that had their order converted and purchased the car noticed it?

View attachment 675362
I have it too. After the unasked conversion. I was told on the chat option
“I am seeing the $1000 reservation on your account and it will be applied towards the vehicle.”
This will happen later in the process.

“I am seeing the $1000 reservation on your account and it will be applied towards the vehicle.”
Applied as in a $1,000 credit/reservation and removing the $1,000 order fee, or just applying the $1,000 credit/reservation and keeping the $1,000 order fee.
I assume it's going the latter?

Just trying to arm myself with all the information I can before I state my case to Tesla.
Thanks

So they're saying they're charging you $1,000 for the "courtesy" of changing your order without your consent via the order fee. I would take the words at face value and assume that $1,000 "credit" is just going straight to the order fee, as if you never reserved the car at all. I don't think you're getting your $1,000 back.....

If I had put down either a $50k or $200k (I think there were both) “refundable” reservation a few years ago on an as-yet nonexistent roadster, I would feel a little nervous right now.

Inb4 they increase the price before release and charge these people $50k and $200k "order fees" to keep their reservation.....LOL

I agree with all you say. I'm just not as surprised as some of you seem to be. There's a reason I have always waited for Tesla products to mature before stepping in and getting one. The Model Y is their fourth product and it's definitely al dente. All Tesla products before it were just plain raw. I waited for the Power Wall 2s, not the first gen. Looked at the roof, and those are far from primetime.

This wouldn't be such a big deal if they were just giving refunds like originally promised and agreed upon. The product isn't the problem this time, it's the customer service, which is quite literally non-existent.

Thanks for your $1,000 donation to the Tesla Motors Inc Charity Fund (that goes right back into our pockets)!

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark
Applied as in a $1,000 credit/reservation and removing the $1,000 order fee, or just applying the $1,000 credit/reservation and keeping the $1,000 order fee.

Just trying to arm myself with all the information I can before I state my case to Tesla.
Thanks

Thanks

Still waiting on that answer. I was told a sales advisor will reach out.