Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla changed order from PW+ to PW2 - Worth it to still move forward?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, I chose to remove a conversation I started that was off topic. My comment was not a personal attack, but a statement of behavior, however it was off topic, and caused an off topic conversation. I chose to remove both my own and your off topic posts for the sake of keeping this thread on topic.

if you go back and look at the thread, I did not remove "posts critical of tesla".

The posts you made with your opinion on this topic are still right here in this thread (posts #9 and 11)

Cancel. Dealing with Tesla Energy is 1000x worse than Tesla Auto. And that’s saying something.

I found them to be orders of magnitude worse than any contractor I have ever dealt with.

So much so that I cancelled my Solar install and two vehicle reservations. YMMV.

Last edited:
I don’t know the differences between PW2 and PW2+ but we had 3 PW2s installed last year and so glad we got it done. We’ve had no problems with our set up and haven’t had to pay PG&E (apart from their required monthly “fee”) since install. Both of us charge our cars using the sun during the week. Nice knowing we have PWs to pull from during these extreme heat days we are experiencing now.

As for Tesla customer service. Yes they, like all other solar/battery installers right now, are super busy. If you go into this with patience and expecting to have wait times when it seems nothing is happening (likely because they are working through prior orders), then you’ll probably be fine. When you move through the next phase they’ll be in touch. Our project started with order placed first week of January 2019. Needed a main panel upgrade, everything shut down for a few months during covid, our install was end of August beginning of Sept., wildfires in area had our installers who were on the roof needing to reschedule at one point. Work got completed, inspection with Tesla and City end of September, and got our PTO end of October (PG&E has 30 days and from submitting request to the PTO email was I think 3-4 weeks for us). Scheduling steps will depend on your area, how busy they are and how many teams are available. Oh and equipment inventory especially for PWs. If you are the type of person who wants to call and try pushing progress every few weeks or so, then I’d say cancel. With Delta variant going around who knows how that might affect some crews and city planning offices and inspectors.

I thought I remembered reading on a thread here somewhere that the PW2+ did not have some certification testing results available yet. Specs alone didn’t cut it for approval. Haven’t really been following since we are done with our install but I thought that this lack of “approval” for the newer equipment was causing some jurisdictions to not approve plans with that equipment. If still the case, perhaps this might be your situation. I know our PW2s and GW2 with SE inverter had received approval and were added to the Approved List by the time we were scheduled to install.

I’ll add that “No, we were not sorry we went with Tesla for our install”. Whole process took longer than we had originally hoped but the install teams were great, the equipment has performed as expected, and our CS end wasn’t bad either. We either got through on the phone when we did call in or got text/email responses in a few days. Our advisor did change a few times over the months; and if they weren’t available, we just called back and spoke to whomever was available. Was never an issue for us. Do not ever expect to speak directly to the design team however. Best to put in an email what you need (whole home back up etc; if partial, what loads you want backed up; and where you are hoping to have equipment located). Good to have this kind of info in writing regardless of who does your install.

Last edited:
BTW if you don't already have EV charging at home and will want at some point, do this now before Install of your system or plan for it by having a NEMA 14-50 at least appropriately installed ahead of time so something for charging will be available to you. You want Tesla to account for this in their electrical plans when the designer is working out the loads and equipment needed. Don’t make the mistake of thinking this can be added later to a whole home backup for example. There are a few posts/threads about owners prevented from doing so later. Also if you have the work done, update Tesla with photos of current updated panel breakers and a photo showing the charging location on that wall.

Reactions: skiingj
The PW + main thread is a pretty heavy lift. It chronicles in real time some very smart people trying to figure out what exactly the difference was.

As I said, the design differences are significant for Tesla but borderline irrelevant for the homeowner. The use of the Tesla inverter is at the moment a coin flip, equal numbers of opinions in favor of a Tesla inverter and the existing Solar Edge.
Unless you are putting the PWs where all can see, the aesthetics seem very personal - but certainly fewer boxes is nice and the Tesla inverter looks nicer than the solar edge ones.
But none of that rises to cancelling the order, if the esthetics are important enough and you want the arguably better looking PW+ by all means argue with the city a bit.
But there is no performance difference other than the A/C start up one. And with two PWs you might not even need to worry about it.

BTW if you don't already have EV charging at home and will want at some point, do this now before Install of your system or plan for it by having a NEMA 14-50 at least appropriately installed ahead of time so something for charging will be available to you. You want Tesla to account for this in their electrical plans when the designer is working out the loads and equipment needed. Don’t make the mistake of thinking this can be added later to a whole home backup for example. There are a few posts/threads about owners prevented from doing so later. Also if you have the work done, update Tesla with photos of current updated panel breakers and a photo showing the charging location on that wall.
Thanks for the great info. Good point. I just added a EV hard wired charger w/ 60A circuit for a new Mustang Mach-E. Should I update Tesla now or wait until install? I really don't want to slow this down. All my plans are completed and submitted to the city. I was under the impression Tesla would submit a plan revision after solar install. I spoke to Tesla a month ago and they didn't seem to care as nothing came from my inquiry.

With all the positive remarks about PW2 I'm leaning towards moving ahead. I'm a tech geek and maybe my NY blood upset me about this situation. :) Thanks everyone I am learning so much.

h2ofun I'm sending a PM, Thanks!​

Reactions: SMAlset
Thanks for the great info. Good point. I just added a EV hard wired charger w/ 60A circuit for a new Mustang Mach-E. Should I update Tesla now or wait until install? I really don't want to slow this down. All my plans are completed and submitted to the city. I was under the impression Tesla would submit a plan revision after solar install. I spoke to Tesla a month ago and they didn't seem to care as nothing came from my inquiry.

With all the positive remarks about PW2 I'm leaning towards moving ahead. I'm a tech geek and maybe my NY blood upset me about this situation. :) Thanks everyone I am learning so much.

No, do it now so any plan changes that might need to be made at their end get done and don’t delay or mess up things for the installers who otherwise might get surprised if it’s forgotten. Hopefully the additional 60A circuit doesn’t impact anything but better addressing now and not when the guys are standing there. Likely just some additional wiring and possibly a new circuit breaker if the panels being used when moving the loads are the same manufacturer/part number. We originally were spec’d Eaton interior load centers for our whole house back up but after months from the initial design timeframe it changed to Square D so the Eaton breakers we had just put in our MPU months earlier couldn’t be used. :confused: Plus construction projects had recently started up again after the covid restrictions were somewhat lifted and certain breakers were sold out (we checked ourself and couldn’t believe it) so there was a delay for some parts they needed for our job. They really don’t want to do an additional maintenance call for follow up items if it can be helped. It ended up delaying our inspection since they didn’t have all the breakers they needed.

As mentioned, let them know in an email along with the photos I indicated.

Last edited:

You’re welcome! Sorry again about the snark upstream. The one thing that I would say is that there is unanimity in the boards on two points: (1) no matter how much solar you are thinking of getting, get more, and (2) there is no such thing as too many PWs (for those who decide to get them).
So, the two things I would cancel over? They are (a) I get wind that if I wait six months I can get 400 or 450 watt panels for the same price, or (b) PW 3 is coming out at the same price but with 20kwh of storage instead of 13.5. Both of those things will happen. Just not now.

I agree with @SMAlset , that you want to let tesla know about the EV circuit, especially if you are planning for it to be on the backup loads side. If you are NOT planning on it being on the backup loads side, it may not be as important. It definitely should be a part of any load calculations etc, if it did not exist when you started the process.

Reactions: skiingj
Interesting I just received two emails from my advisor. I was shocked to get something from him.

I wanted to confirm if you're still looking to move forward. The plans for the plus option for battery was denied by Roseville. This set up is where the inverter and gateway are combined instead of 2 separate pieces of equipment. I would recommend contacting Roseville to see if there is anything that can be done to get this option otherwise we will need to proceed without the plus option.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This AHJ required the certification for Rapid Shutdown Compliance of Powerwall+. It works same with the MCI rapid shutdown devices as Tesla PV Inverter, but we are still working on getting these PV RSA certifications for this New Product.

Many AHJs are already accepting Powerwall+ while we are waiting for the Certifications, but there are a few AHJs that want proof of certification for issuing Permit. In the Permit Rejection Letter, AHJ mentioned the requirement of PV RSA certification, so we changed design to use Tesla Inverter with Powerwalls instead.

For such AHJs, Powerwall+ product will remain On-Hold until we get the Certifications.

Can't say I understand much of the last email but no cert = no P+. I emailed him pics of my EV setup w/ breakers. Waiting to hear back.

Interesting I just received two emails from my advisor. I was shocked to get something from him.

I wanted to confirm if you're still looking to move forward. The plans for the plus option for battery was denied by Roseville. This set up is where the inverter and gateway are combined instead of 2 separate pieces of equipment. I would recommend contacting Roseville to see if there is anything that can be done to get this option otherwise we will need to proceed without the plus option.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This AHJ required the certification for Rapid Shutdown Compliance of Powerwall+. It works same with the MCI rapid shutdown devices as Tesla PV Inverter, but we are still working on getting these PV RSA certifications for this New Product.

Many AHJs are already accepting Powerwall+ while we are waiting for the Certifications, but there are a few AHJs that want proof of certification for issuing Permit. In the Permit Rejection Letter, AHJ mentioned the requirement of PV RSA certification, so we changed design to use Tesla Inverter with Powerwalls instead.

For such AHJs, Powerwall+ product will remain On-Hold until we get the Certifications.

Can't say I understand much of the last email but no cert = no P+. I emailed him pics of my EV setup w/ breakers. Waiting to hear back.
Tesla doesn't have the necessary certifications yet, and is saying "trust us". Roseville is saying "proof of certification in hand" only.

"Trust us" has never been a great strategy with AHJs ("Authority Having Jurisdiction"), at least in my experience.

All the best,

BG

Reactions: jjrandorin

It seems to say "the authority having jurisdiction (AHJ) for your area will not approve powerwall+ because it does not currently have the full certification process done, you can either email them directly to see if they will give you an exception, or move forward with powerwall 2 instead of powerwall+. We want to know if you want to cancel or move forward. Please let us know".