Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla changed our VIN One day before delivery for an older VIN.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we were givin a VIN last week in the 1515xx range and are scheduled to pick it up tomorrow evening. Our TA just called and said they are having issues getting that vehicle ready for us by our scheduled time tomorrow and instead found another vehicle with all of the same configs that they want us to receive, however the VIN is a 1418XX and 9 miles on the odometer. He says that it still has all of the new updates, but I feel a little annoyed and concerned about the last minute swap for an older build. Am I over thinking it, or should we ask to keep the original vehicle assigned to us, even if it means pushing back our pickup date?
Happened to me but the VIN was 159 vs 160, one day difference in build date. They were trying to deliver 2 days early and had one on the lot already. I’d say take a look and if it looks good, don’t over think it and enjoy.

Reactions: proximanova
So we were givin a VIN last week in the 1515xx range and are scheduled to pick it up tomorrow evening. Our TA just called and said they are having issues getting that vehicle ready for us by our scheduled time tomorrow and instead found another vehicle with all of the same configs that they want us to receive, however the VIN is a 1418XX and 9 miles on the odometer. He says that it still has all of the new updates, but I feel a little annoyed and concerned about the last minute swap for an older build. Am I over thinking it, or should we ask to keep the original vehicle assigned to us, even if it means pushing back our pickup date?

Totally overlooking it. I have a VIN in the 152XX range with a build date of March 24. It's a 7 seater. Someone with a 157XX VIN also with a 7 seater had their car built before me by a few days. They literally have a bunch of VINs and assign them randomly while cars are in production. Totally not sequential. The build date matters more that VIN. All the cars built in March are the same

I called Tesla today and they said they had to deliver weds the 31st. I told them I couldn't and could take delivery Friday the second. A few minutes later my VIN was released and I'm back in cue with 1-10 weeks estimated delivery. lol. They must really need to make the quarterly numbers.

Yeah. I wouldn't really worry about the VINs. When I ordered my Y I was freaking out because I was seeing all these 150+ numbers for March delivery and when I was assigned one, mine was 112 for my March delivery. I worried right up until the delivery day. But when I received it, I had all the upgrades. Heated Steering Wheel, new Center Console, etc... Just pick it up and enjoy the car.

Yeah. I wouldn't really worry about the VINs. When I ordered my Y I was freaking out because I was seeing all these 150+ numbers for March delivery and when I was assigned one, mine was 112 for my March delivery. I worried right up until the delivery day. But when I received it, I had all the upgrades. Heated Steering Wheel, new Center Console, etc... Just pick it up and enjoy the car.
Where can I find the list of most recent upgrades like heated steering wheel, etc. and where to see what the new Center Console looks like?

Can you delay making final payment until after final inspection? My Tesla account states "Please pay off your remaining balance prior to delivery".
Yes, we didn't cofirm payment until we saw the car, sat in it, and got all things fixed that were easily addressable at the service center. We took pictures of EVERYTHING.

Not sure about home delivery, however.

W
As long as they didn't remove your VIN altogether and not assign you a new one, then you should be fine.

I'm in that boat as of last week. ACH payment was made and all of the final paperwork was signed, just now there's no longer a car assigned to me and my delivery date is MIA :rolleyes:
What does it mean if Tesla assigned me a new VIN instead of the old one i received 2 months before ?

As long as they didn't remove your VIN altogether and not assign you a new one, then you should be fine.

I'm in that boat as of last week. ACH payment was made and all of the final paperwork was signed, just now there's no longer a car assigned to me and my delivery date is MIA :rolleyes:
What does it mean when tesla assign me a new VIN instead of the one i received 2 months before ?