Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla changed our VIN One day before delivery for an older VIN.

cedcor

Dec 13, 2020
Carlsbad CA
So we were givin a VIN last week in the 1515xx range and are scheduled to pick it up tomorrow evening. Our TA just called and said they are having issues getting that vehicle ready for us by our scheduled time tomorrow and instead found another vehicle with all of the same configs that they want us to receive, however the VIN is a 1418XX and 9 miles on the odometer. He says that it still has all of the new updates, but I feel a little annoyed and concerned about the last minute swap for an older build. Am I over thinking it, or should we ask to keep the original vehicle assigned to us, even if it means pushing back our pickup date?
Happened to me but the VIN was 159 vs 160, one day difference in build date. They were trying to deliver 2 days early and had one on the lot already. I’d say take a look and if it looks good, don’t over think it and enjoy.

Reactions: proximanova

RedWhite19

Aug 17, 2020
Los Angeles
An older build... by what a couple weeks? You’re going to get the new console. There is nothing to be worried about. It is not 2022 v 2021 for you to be worried.

Congrats and enjoy your car.

Mrbrock

Mar 26, 2020
Napa, CA
If they removed the vin then there is likely something wrong with the car which is why it is still in inventory. Sounds like it should be pulled from the system. It is looking like you won’t be getting a car for a few weeks unless there is one locally they switch you to.

Reactions: proximanova

duran505

Jan 20, 2021
Albuquerque, NM
So we were givin a VIN last week in the 1515xx range and are scheduled to pick it up tomorrow evening. Our TA just called and said they are having issues getting that vehicle ready for us by our scheduled time tomorrow and instead found another vehicle with all of the same configs that they want us to receive, however the VIN is a 1418XX and 9 miles on the odometer. He says that it still has all of the new updates, but I feel a little annoyed and concerned about the last minute swap for an older build. Am I over thinking it, or should we ask to keep the original vehicle assigned to us, even if it means pushing back our pickup date?

Totally overlooking it. I have a VIN in the 152XX range with a build date of March 24. It's a 7 seater. Someone with a 157XX VIN also with a 7 seater had their car built before me by a few days. They literally have a bunch of VINs and assign them randomly while cars are in production. Totally not sequential. The build date matters more that VIN. All the cars built in March are the same

hopmix

Mar 29, 2021
Bay Area
I called Tesla today and they said they had to deliver weds the 31st. I told them I couldn't and could take delivery Friday the second. A few minutes later my VIN was released and I'm back in cue with 1-10 weeks estimated delivery. lol. They must really need to make the quarterly numbers.

ajm_mac235

Feb 21, 2021
Michigan
Yeah. I wouldn't really worry about the VINs. When I ordered my Y I was freaking out because I was seeing all these 150+ numbers for March delivery and when I was assigned one, mine was 112 for my March delivery. I worried right up until the delivery day. But when I received it, I had all the upgrades. Heated Steering Wheel, new Center Console, etc... Just pick it up and enjoy the car.

chipcaldwell

May 5, 2021
Chattanooga, TN
Yeah. I wouldn't really worry about the VINs. When I ordered my Y I was freaking out because I was seeing all these 150+ numbers for March delivery and when I was assigned one, mine was 112 for my March delivery. I worried right up until the delivery day. But when I received it, I had all the upgrades. Heated Steering Wheel, new Center Console, etc... Just pick it up and enjoy the car.
Where can I find the list of most recent upgrades like heated steering wheel, etc. and where to see what the new Center Console looks like?

Jjrss

Mar 9, 2021
Tacoma
Can you delay making final payment until after final inspection? My Tesla account states "Please pay off your remaining balance prior to delivery".
Yes, we didn't cofirm payment until we saw the car, sat in it, and got all things fixed that were easily addressable at the service center. We took pictures of EVERYTHING.

Not sure about home delivery, however.

Jay724

May 18, 2021
Harbor City, CA
I ordered an existing inventory MY LR and they gave me VIN 111XXX. It was the older console but they gave me a $1620 discount. It wasn't a deal breaker for me I said yes please I'll take it!

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC