Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla changed the SR+ door plate soft material to hard plastic recently?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm glad Tesla went with the hard plastic for the lower door area. It was ridiculous having it with the soft touch material, because it's too easy to damage. My 2018 Model 3 now has numerous nicks in it just above the water bottle holder, if it was the hard plastic they now use it wouldn't be nicked up. You'd think Tesla would have known this when they designed the Model 3.

Reactions: turns2stone
I'm glad Tesla went with the hard plastic for the lower door area. It was ridiculous having it with the soft touch material, because it's too easy to damage. My 2018 Model 3 now has numerous nicks in it just above the water bottle holder, if it was the hard plastic they now use it wouldn't be nicked up. You'd think Tesla would have known this when they designed the Model 3.

And yet, when I had a Cadillac XT5, that was the biggest complaint of all. Hard plastic door pockets.

Sometimes, manufacturers just can’t win.

My October 2021 Fremont built M3P has hard plastic there. It's not super cheap feeling or looking, I've had cars with worse, but not it's not as nice as the softer/squishier stuff at the top of the door.

The "worse" hard plastics are shiny or brittle/hollow-feeling or have too coarse a grain. Some 90s and 2000s econoboxes had real nasty stuff on the doors. The stuff on the bottom of the door in my M3P, as well as my S P85, is at least matte with a fine-grained surface texture and reasonable solidity. Not luxurious but not too cheap feeling either, and visually my M3P's lower door panel matches the upper panel pretty well (like in comment #4 picture).

I would be all for softer material for the whole door! I don't see why it has to be less durable. I've never owned a car with soft material down there but I've never owned a luxury car of any sort either. I've ridden in plenty of luxury cars but somehow I'm failing to remember what their lower door panels were made of...I guess it's not something I usually care about. :p

I'm surprised Tesla has used soft touch material there on the Model 3. Then again, I'm sure they would tell their supplier to use whatever they need to keep the manufacturing going! Remember it's in spec either way. ;)

I'd rather have hard plastic door panels over soft touch door panels, at the bottom of the door area.
I agree; I have no issues with it at all. That XT5 in particular had what I considered a fantastic interior. Was just saying - that was the big complaint online with “reviewers” and regular folk as well. Things that I’m happy with made them cringe, and vice versa.

Now my Model 3 has even more nicks on the lower soft touch interior panel. I have no idea how I'm doing this!

Inner Door.jpg