Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla changed the SR+ door plate soft material to hard plastic recently?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what is yours?

AD1C09AB-F957-4AF4-964D-FB2697F019D9.jpeg

If yours was built in China, I’d guess that most here on TMC wouldn’t be able to comment about whether there had actually been a change.

Perhaps the Chinese-market version has always been that way?

Maybe Chinese-Market Only , or maybe Chinese-Market First.

The remove of sider mirror auto-dimming is Chinese-Market First, which we thought it was Chinese-market only.

I read that the Model Y door panels are the same -- soft touch on the top, hard plastic on the bottom.

Might be a lemonade-out-of-lemons situation, but that's an area that I sometimes scuff (not sure how or with what), so having a more durable hard-touch plastic is probably preferable to me.

Edited to add: hopefully the rear doors retain soft touch materials on the top vs. all hard-touch plastic? That's another tactic used by other manufacturers to cut costs and would be disappointing if Tesla did the same.

Might be a lemonade-out-of-lemons situation, but that's an area that I sometimes scuff (not sure how or with what), so having a more durable hard-touch plastic is probably preferable to me.

Agreed! Even my Cadillac - which by all measures had a much, much more “luxury” interior than Model 3, had hard kick panels at the door bottom. Which is good - as you said, they take abuse. The top half of the door was nothing but plush and soft - but they hardened it where it mattered. Some critiqued them for it, but I always thought it was a smart design. You can see it below the armrest in this photo. Looks just fine.

1F4D9909-9B75-4EC2-AC42-95BF13E84F7C.jpeg

Oct 2019 and my door is all soft except for the water bottle pocket area. Thank goodness! Nothing worse than that hard plastic that GM uses in all their cars. I’ve already given up 99% of the luxury of my Jaguar, so I need that remaining 1%!

2/2020 build date, soft in both places. Most likely it's just the SR+ with the hard plastic. It's the 'partial premium' interior according to Tesla. From just looks alone you could hardly tell the difference, and to be honest, I wouldn't have cared if mine was hard plastic on the bottom piece. Until this thread, I never even noticed.