Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla changing music streaming agreement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
really weird, can someone provide some sort answer?

i thought in the usa you get a slacker and a spotify account with your car.
In europe we get a spotify account. The account is a premium account but has some odd limitations i.e. you cant log in on a computer and you cant seem all community playlists and no colaborative playlists either.
Afaik this one stays even if you dont pay for premium.

Are you sure? On my 2021, I had to log in to my premium (family) account to be able to hear it from the car, as far as I remember. We don't plan to pay for premium connectivity once it expires, since we don't really use anything. The only thing I use is the car's Spotify, so if the car will retain it, it'd be awesome. Otherwise, I'd just stream it from my phone, like I do with all other vehicles, so no biggie.
How exactly are you streaming from your phone? I'm still puzzled and stymied by this. Can you stream via wifi using something like UPnP/DLNA or Airplay, or is it limited to low quality Blutooth? There is no Aux input, the USB input is mass storage only. I've been looking into spoofing a mass storage device that is actually a streaming port using a Raspberry Pi. I don't know enough myself to make it work but I've been asking around on some audio and RPi forums.

i thought in the usa you get a slacker and a spotify account with your car.
In europe we get a spotify account.

In North America you get a Slacker account, in Europe you get a Spotify account.

In NA if you want to use Spotify you have to supply your own, non-free account.

The 2018 Model 3 manual includes this:

Note: Tesla also provides you with a
complimentary Streaming Personal Radio
account for four years.

So the Slacker account wasn't forever or linked to Premium connectivity. (But the current manual doesn't include anything about that.)

I don't think this is correct. I have tried logging into Spotify with my Tesla info to no avail.

Also, you get some form of streaming for free. If you go to the music icon and steaming, that stuff doesn't require a login. At least I never remember logging into that.
This is what I’m referring to. It used to be free and doesn’t need a login. Now, it just presents a login screen.

How exactly are you streaming from your phone? I'm still puzzled and stymied by this. Can you stream via wifi using something like UPnP/DLNA or Airplay, or is it limited to low quality Blutooth? There is no Aux input, the USB input is mass storage only. I've been looking into spoofing a mass storage device that is actually a streaming port using a Raspberry Pi. I don't know enough myself to make it work but I've been asking around on some audio and RPi forums.

Only way to stream music from the phone to car is BT.

You can use the phone as a wifi hotspot to operate the built-in music streaming apps though.

Both will suck for audio quality compared to something like FLAC off a USB key though.