TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla changing some deliveries to customer homes

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by justaddsun, Mar 21, 2013.

1. justaddsun

justaddsun Member

#1 justaddsun, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
    I just kind of randomly spoke w/ my DS tonight and she informed me that even though I selected a service center delivery weeks ago, ALL Model S's coming out of the factory, effective now, will be home delivered. They will be batched geographically onto a truck and dropped off to each customer's home in a given area. I don't really care too much, but I was amazed that this decision was made for me and I just emailed with them yesterday and no mention of this change. Ideally, I would have liked the service center experience to check the car out and point out any issues to the DS at delivery. I can only think this is to amplify physical deliveries and thus q1 earnings numbers. I'd have to say this is a bit drastic of a move from TM, at the expense of at least some of their customers wishes. Luckily, I would have been out of town even if the car were delivered at the service center next week, so I will be a q2 delivery anyway. Anyone who is possibly taking delivery next week -- please verify this. I'm more surprised than disappointed, I guess. Addendum: I also have already paid for the car, so I wonder if this has something to do with it ie they don't have to ensure final payment at delivery (eg in the service center).

2. GSP

GSP Member

I thought you could specify where the car is to be delivered. Home, Work, Disneyland, Wherever. So, just give them their store address!

GSP

3. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

I wonder if this is due to the fact that many service centers are filled with as yet to be delivered cars. (Hard to believe someone wouldn't go pick up his car!)

They may also need to free up staff for servicing rather than delivering.

Sent via Tapatalk.

4. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Member

I was informed today, that my delivery is next Wednesday. a few of us will all get delivery at our local Tesla Service Center at the same time.
    I thought this was to save time. group delivery saves time.

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

This. At ongoing >500 per week many of the SC's just don't have storage room for even a few days.

6. herbvdh

herbvdh Member

Delivered to you direct Home etc. is better that way we do to have to worry about getting to a service center.

7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I'll bet that's it. When I picked mine up at the Toronto SC, it was jammed so full that they had cars in the air on hoists with others parked underneath. You could barely move in the place and I don't know how they'd ever do any service work without jockeying all those cars around.

8. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Are we saying a car carrier with 6 cars on it will come directly from the factory and make deliveries, or the single car transports we've seen before from the service centers? If the former, cars will no longer be prepped and detailed? I sure hope Tesla switches to covered transports if this is the case.

9. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

Pure speculation ... they are overloaded with deliveries. I think they might rent low cost "secret" distribution centers where the 6 car carrier drops off, and the only work there is detailing and relaying.
    Rent costs for their showrooms is huge! Rental costs for service centers not cheap either. Like in Chicago on Grand ... not cheap ... not Michigan Ave but not cheap.
    So find a spot near a freeway out in the burbs only for distro for 5 or 6 states and transport them from there.
    I just love speculating. And starting rumors! Nice ones. :)

10. bluefuego

bluefuego Member

+1 on this rumor... They will still need some kind of staging/prep area. Not all customers will be able to take delivery to their home via an 18 wheeled transport. I live in a neighborhood with very narrow streets which simply rules this out. I am just happy to have a new speculation thread to follow for now since it seems that we may be (at least temporarily) satisfied with multi-red production timeline. :-D

11. UMD86

UMD86 Member

I don't think they have enough manpower/DS's to handle the deliveries. My DS said he had 3 more deliveries after mine and it was already early afternoon. Mine lasted 2 hrs. Each region is not staffed properly - they are constantly moving/transferring sales and DS's to meet market demand.

12. jpasqua

jpasqua P19325

Hmm. Earlier today they scheduled my delivery at the factory in Fremont for 3/30.

13. joefee

joefee Over 2 Million TMC page views

FWIW the San Diego Service Center is full of cars and has "taken over" all available parking spaces in it's complex. i'm sure another service center/store opens in Fashion Valley to the south.

14. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

Probably Fremont factory delivery will still be available.

Makes sense to me. I'd guess that if they either use covered trucks, or covers over each car, they could do all the prepping and detailing at the factory. Then all they need is (covered) parking areas, where the DS can get the cars with a pick up truck.

15. ahimberg

ahimberg Member

Wonder if this is just end of quarter magic again to count all cars on delivery trucks as 'sales' , where it would be temporary, or really a permanent shift to not do service center pickup.

16. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Ah. Smart thinking.

17. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I'm assuming my "home" could by any place convenient to where I live. As my neighborhood has curvy, narrow streets, there's no way an 18-wheeler could make it to my house. I'm going to provide my detailer's address. It has a large lot, is about 4 miles from my home, and is just off an interstate. But that's what I planned to do anyway.

18. justaddsun

justaddsun Member

My understanding is the former as well. I'm a little nervous of the condition it will arrive in and disappointed I won't get that "showroom glow."

Not for a second do I think this change to all home delivery will be permanent. Way too inefficient afaik.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

19. GlennAlanBerry

At first, I thought it would kind of be cool to have the car carrier show up on my street with my new Model S, so I could take the obligatory pictures, suitably impress the neighbors, etc. Then I thought about it, I figured that it would be better to pick it up at the Denver Service Center, where it would be 100% detailed and clean, and you could make sure any issues were documented upon delivery. I wonder if this is a permanent, new policy? I have no problem going to the Service Center, and I would think that would be more efficient and less expensive for Tesla. I will be waiting a little while longer for my car anyway, since I ordered a multi-coat red. Maybe this is just and end of quarter push by TSLA?

20. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I honestly think they don't have room at Showrooms, or Service Centers to handle all the cars. It was never their plan to do so, they just didn't have the logistics and manpower to deliver them to people like they wanted initially. I imagine 'home delivery' still basically will be any address you want.

I really think this is the case. I live in a no outlet neighborhood. With no loops for a 18-wheeler to turn around in. When they delivered my car the truck driver called me an hour before and asked if we could do a better place. As it would be very hard for him to turn around his truck. He said he 'would' deliver it in my neighborhood but we decided on a Publix parking lot. As it was easier for pretty much everybody.

He had to shuffle one car to unload my car. Doing that in my street would have been really tough. I would imagine any parking lot or larger road would be fine for delivery.