Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Charge Ports & Plugs from China, North America, and Europe Compared (for Models S, X, 3, & Y)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, mentioned under (8) and (9) :) All V3 superchargers in Australia, and probably a few other countries, are exclusively this format. Either 3 or 6 stall sites.

Found a pic of one of the weird Taiwan ones - you can see the left hand stall is CCS2:

bLn5qXY.png

Tesla's page for the site: 桃園-楊梅

Taiwan switched from TPC to CCS2 in 2021; newer cars come with CCS2 ports while older cars still uses TPC. Therefore, Tesla must keep both connectors in all of their Superchargers

• Informative
Reactions: PStewart
It is a mechanical interlock which prevents you from removing the CCS plug from the adapter while charging is active. The adapter must be removed from the car first, and that only happens when no charging is happening.

Ah, got it. That’s why the CCS2 adaptor doesn’t have such a thing - mechanical interlocking is integral to the Type 2 part of the connector.

Ah, got it. That’s why the CCS2 adaptor doesn’t have such a thing - mechanical interlocking is integral to the Type 2 part of the connector.

The CCS1 adapters have two "notches" for "locking:"
  1. One at the bottom of the TPC plug (on the car-side of the adapter) that connects into the car's charging port.
  2. One inside the small "cave opening" at the top of the outwardly-facing end of the adapter.
Notch #1 lets the car clamp onto the adapter. Notch #2 allows the CCS1 trigger/plug/handle (at the car-end of the charge cable) to grab hold of the adapter. The two "locks" do different things. The first locks the adapter into the car during charging. The second keeps the cable and adapter joined together during charging. (The second "lock" is less secure than the first, apparently.)

Unlike in China, Europe/Oceania, and Taiwan where Tesla has been forced (by authorities) to abandon it proprietary charging plug/port standard in favor of (arguably less good) local standards, it appears like the push to adopt the elegant Tesla standard as the North American Charging Standard (NACS) is gaining momentum (so far, Aptera, Ford, GM, and Volvo/Polestar on board). In, say, 20 years will we see Tesla plugs/ports as the sole North American standard? And will this potential change be advanced in other regions? (Possibly in new markets yet to come like South America, Africa, and India. But in Europe and other areas electrical grid design may continue to favor/require the CCS2/Type 2 standard, I'm told.)

Unlike in China, Europe/Oceania, and Taiwan where Tesla has been forced (by authorities) to abandon it proprietary charging plug/port standard in favor of (arguably less good) local standards, it appears like the push to adopt the elegant Tesla standard as the North American Charging Standard (NACS) is gaining momentum (so far, Aptera, Ford, GM, and Volvo/Polestar on board). In, say, 20 years will we see Tesla plugs/ports as the sole North American standard? And will this potential change be advanced in other regions? (Possibly in new markets yet to come like South America, Africa, and India. But in Europe and other areas electrical grid design may continue to favor/require the CCS2/Type 2 standard, I'm told.)
I'm not sure where being "forced" comes into it, nor the logic behind it being less good than NACS. Yes, EU has defined CCS2 as a standard (although they still sell Leafs with Chademo in the EU so I'm not sure how strict it is). And yes, China's GB/T standard is enforced there (though Tesla use CCS2 in Hong Kong and Macau).

CCS2 supports 3-phase AC, NACS doesn't. This is a clear technical advantage that makes it the superior alternative in the countries which have ready access to 3-phase electricity.

Of all the countries Tesla operate in, they use:
  • GB/T in one country (China)
  • NACS in five countries (USA, Canada, Mexico, South Korea, Japan)
    • In South Korea, the alternate standard is CCS1
    • In Japan, the alternate standard is Chademo
  • CCS2 in over forty countries, including
    • 25 of the 27 members of the EU
    • Non-EU members in Europe (United Kingdom, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Serbia)
    • Morocco, Turkey, Jordan, Israel, UAE, Kazakhstan, Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Australia, New Zealand
1280px-World_Map_of_Tesla_Plug_Types.svg.png

Plug standards used by Tesla

CCS2 is Tesla's preferred connector when entering a new market. They use it across four continents and have used it in every new market they've entered since 2017. Outside of the EU, most of these countries do not have legislated standards.

If you modify the above map to indicate the default "open" standard and extend it to include de facto dominant connectors (based on observations/photos from Plugshare - marked with diagonal shading) the preference for CCS2 is even more evident.

xcocTCg.png

Dominant plug standard

So, my prediction:
  • Tesla knew what they were doing when they called it the North American Charging Standard - it's not going to be global
  • China and Japan have an existing plan to merge their standards into ChaoJi
  • South America is going to go with CCS2 (perhaps the Darien Gap may be the cut-off)
  • Morocco, Egypt and South Africa all using CCS2 is going to result in the entire continent using it
  • South Korea is a bit of an unknown as they will be the only country in the world using CCS1. They may go ChaoJi like China and Japan, or they may go CCS2 like the rest of south-east Asia

South Korea is a bit of an unknown as they will be the only country in the world using CCS1. They may go ChaoJi like China and Japan, or they may go CCS2 like the rest of south-east Asia

I read an article last year that said South Korea was going to transition to CCS2, but of course now I cannot find it.

Link or it doesn’t exist… 🤣

Elon mentioned wanting to originally have NACS everywhere, but obviously 3PH would have been an issue. If they had made a variant of NACS that supported 3PH then maybe we would be somewhere (or maybe even a plug where the 1PH and 3PH could still fit in each other ala Type 2, but maybe with less space so the compactness of DC and 1PH could be preserved but somehow still accept the 3PH plug albeit drawing only 1 phase; not sure if such a plug would even be possible).

But then again this is Elon we're talking about so maybe he thought NACS in its current form would somehow be accepted in Europe originally...

(or maybe even a plug where the 1PH and 3PH could still fit in each other ala Type 2, but maybe with less space so the compactness of DC and 1PH could be preserved but somehow still accept the 3PH plug albeit drawing only 1 phase; not sure if such a plug would even be possible).
It already WAS possible, and it's what Tesla did with their earlier Model S and X cars sold in Europe for several years before the Model 3 came. There is the European plug called Type 2 (originally known as Mennekes) that is used for AC charging there, including 3 phase. Tesla used a form of that plug that was slightly modified in some way (pin lengths or something?) so that it's what they used on their Superchargers for DC charging, but the same port in the car could also take the existing public 3 phase AC charging stations.

That was about as close to a good and small universal charging plug as we've had until Tesla had to switch to CCS2 in Europe.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352 and wws
...a plug where the 1PH and 3PH could still fit in each other ala Type 2, but maybe with less space so the compactness of DC and 1PH could be preserved but somehow still accept the 3PH plug albeit drawing only 1 phase; not sure if such a plug would even be possible)..

It already WAS possible, and it's what Tesla did with their earlier Model S and X cars sold in Europe for several years before the Model 3 came...

Yep, I believe @Rocky_H has got that right.

See Footnote in the Table and notes under "Europe - Models S and X" in first post (here) for references to the original (smaller, more simple than CCS2) Mennekes-Type 2 plugs/ports used for European Models S & X. And apparently early Supercharger plugs and Models S/X ports were modified to allow Tesla car access while preventing use by non-Tesla cars. I read that this was to protect non-Tesla cars from damage due to the higher Supercharger voltage/power (while also keeping Supercharger use proprietary, back in those days).

Last edited:
There is the European plug called Type 2 (originally known as Mennekes) that is used for AC charging there, including 3 phase. Tesla used a form of that plug that was slightly modified in some way (pin lengths or something?) so that it's what they used on their Superchargers for DC charging, but the same port in the car could also take the existing public 3 phase AC charging stations.

In markets with 3-phase electricity (Europe, Australia, NZ), Tesla originally used a modified Type 2 plug with a shorter shank so that if someone plugged a Supercharger plug into their non-Tesla Type2/CCS2 car there was no risk of any electrical connection (i.e. DC output into AC input) and nothing would happen.

From 2018 Tesla progressively added CCS2 cables to Superchargers in those markets for Model 3, and abandoned the modified Type 2 plug for new cars and new Superchargers.

Despite North ‘Mericans endlessly raving about how they love the Tesla Proprietary Connector, it really isn’t a good design. Apart from not supporting 3-phase, using the same pins for AC and DC depending on context not only adds complication and expense on both the vehicle and charger side, it creates a risk of the mother-of-all-failure modes.

I much prefer CCS2 and the very satisfying clunk when you plug it in. Its solidity gives me comfort. And the Type 2 plug by itself for AC charging is almost the same size as the TPC - just as sleek.

That was about as close to a good and small universal charging plug as we've had until Tesla had to switch to CCS2 in Europe.

Since cars rarely travel outside of the continent they are purchased in, having a worldwide ”standard” for EV charging is not necessary. But having a single standard within a continent is extremely desirable, and something we now effectively have in Europe and Australia, as CHAdeMO disappears with no new vehicles using it in these markets. New DCFCs are increasingly CCS2 only.

The USA, in the meantime, has gone the other way - from having 2 ”standards” (CCS1 and CHAdeMO) to 3 “standards” (CCS1, CHAdeMO and the Tesla Proprietary Connector) 🤔. Reminds me of an xkcd cartoon…

Despite North ‘Mericans endlessly raving about how they love the Tesla Proprietary Connector, it really isn’t a good design.
It is, as long as you don't have any need to support 3 phase.
Since cars rarely travel outside of the continent they are purchased in, having a worldwide ”standard” for EV charging is not necessary. But having a single standard within a continent is extremely desirable,
I agree--I don't think we need one worldwide standard for that reason, but with how frequently I see people whining for it, I was just pointing out the closest thing there had been to it.

But having a single standard within a continent is extremely desirable, and something we now effectively have in Europe and Australia, as CHAdeMO disappears with no new vehicles using it in these markets. New DCFCs are increasingly CCS2 only.

The USA, in the meantime, has gone the other way - from having 2 ”standards” (CCS1 and CHAdeMO) to 3 “standards” (CCS1, CHAdeMO and the Tesla Proprietary Connector) 🤔.
Really?! You're doing this dishonest rhetorical technique here based on your bias. CHAdeMO is dying off everywhere; that's just reality. But you acknowledge CHAdeMO disappearing in other parts of the world to try to present the idea that they are better, while dishonestly pretending that it's not happening in America, so you can criticize it. That's not true.

In markets with 3-phase electricity (Europe, Australia, NZ), Tesla originally used a modified Type 2 plug with a shorter shank so that if someone plugged a Supercharger plug into their non-Tesla Type2/CCS2 car there was no risk of any electrical connection (i.e. DC output into AC input) and nothing would happen.

From 2018 Tesla progressively added CCS2 cables to Superchargers in those markets for Model 3, and abandoned the modified Type 2 plug for new cars and new Superchargers.

Despite North ‘Mericans endlessly raving about how they love the Tesla Proprietary Connector, it really isn’t a good design. Apart from not supporting 3-phase, using the same pins for AC and DC depending on context not only adds complication and expense on both the vehicle and charger side, it creates a risk of the mother-of-all-failure modes.

You forget that despite the connector difference + cutout in the original AC/DC Tesla charger, you forget that Tesla themselves could have been subject to such a failure condition. The fact that they originally used it with no issues (plus continue to share AC/DC in NACS) seems to disprove the notion that this is a ticking timebomb waiting to happen. Tesla does also call out this scenario specifically: https://tesla-cdn.thron.com/deliver...-Charging-Standard-AC-DC-Pin-Sharing-Appendix

Now I guess one could argue that one shouldn't even be subjected to this situation in the first place (the argument made by Chademo as well and other connectors with distinct DC pins), and you seem to fall in to that camp. I don't really care either way, and honestly would have loved to see CCS Type 2 have been the worldwide standard despite the lack of need for 3 phase in NA, but here we are...
The USA, in the meantime, has gone the other way - from having 2 ”standards” (CCS1 and CHAdeMO) to 3 “standards” (CCS1, CHAdeMO and the Tesla Proprietary Connector) 🤔. Reminds me of an xkcd cartoon…

The main difference is at the rate things are changing and such, it's more like 2 standards to 3 to 2 longer-term. The rate at which manufacturers are changing over is indicative of this. And it's now NACS, not TPC anymore.

...Despite North ‘Mericans endlessly raving about how they love the Tesla Proprietary Connector, it really isn’t a good design. Apart from not supporting 3-phase, using the same pins for AC and DC depending on context not only adds complication and expense on both the vehicle and charger side, it creates a risk of the mother-of-all-failure modes.
  • I am not an electrical expert or an engineer.
  • Though a native citizen, I feel free to criticize the United States where criticism is warranted. To demonstrate, I openly acknowledge an unfortunate (albeit arguably understandable) post WWII tendency in the US towards social, political, economic, and technological imperialism and imagined superiority. (We are only now as a country being dragged kicking and screaming towards just partly coming to grips with the damage and hypocrisy of our erroneous prior thinking and actions--not only from the 1950s and '60s, but ultimately from a horrendous pre-US Civil War social experiment in cruelty, immorality, and economic avarice that more than any other one thing severely damaged this country. I might add that Australia has its own 'skeletons in the closet.')
  • But back to the topic at hand, I fully accept that historic electrical grid design, traditional electrical engineering, and political realities in Europe, Oceania, and Asia can and should dictate electric car charging procedures there. Since the North American Tesla Proprietary Charge Standard apparently won't work well in other counties (e.g., because of the Phase 3 issue), then North America cannot, should not, and as far as I know is not attempting to force its standard on other areas.
  • That said, I think the (apparent) move to a North American regional standard (NACS) based on the NA Tesla charging plug and port is a good thing, for us...here...where Phase 3 electricity is apparently not readily available to average drivers.
  • I'll let other, more knowledgeable readers comment, but I question whether the Tesla plug/port are really the risk you make them out to be. We all have seen reports of apparent problems with NEPA 14-50 wall receptacles in North America. We all have read about the (imagined) dangers of, for example, 'suicide' charging adapter use (in New Zealand and Australia). The point is that TMC members seem to be good about reporting electrical issues. The Tesla charging standard has been used--safely, as far as I know--in North America since 2012. Where are the reliable reports about widespread Tesla plug/port failures? Of course it is difficult or impossible to prove a negative, but the lack of such reports seems to suggest that the convenient Tesla plugs/ports in use here are a triumph of Tesla engineering.
I much prefer CCS2 and the very satisfying clunk when you plug it in. Its solidity gives me comfort. And the Type 2 plug by itself for AC charging is almost the same size as the TPC - just as sleek.

And electric car drivers are welcome to keep using the CCS2 standard. But the result is that--for various reasons--drivers in Oceania and Europe no longer have a lightweight, convenient, well-built plug/port for both AC and DC.* We do. Considering what Tesla went through in its early years before release of the Model S (e.g., being ostracized by other electric car manufacturers) to develop its elegant North American plug/port standard, I think Tesla as a company should be applauded (while being rightly criticized for plenty of wrong steps).

I'm sorry, but that is not really true.

Tesla started offering CHAdeMO adapters to North American customers in 2015, probably because the Supercharger network was still nascent and there were not a lot of (or any?) other options for DC on-the-road charging at that time. Although most (US) drivers do not really need to fast charge on a daily basis, some do. And drivers apparently do need assurance that opportunities are available if and when needed. The Japanese had a DC charger standard. Nissan had been using it since 2010. Tesla saw an opportunity and, in my opinion, is to be congratulated for at least offering its NA drivers with another (albeit 'clunky') option (for places where Superchargers hadn't been built yet).

As others are pointing out, across the entire Tesla driver base CHAdeMO was probably never super popular (it was always ungainly and expensive), and now is definitely fading as a standard in North America. As we all know, Tesla stopped offering CHAdeMO adapters in 2021 (and a year later offered its CCS1 adapter as a better replacement). Yes, CHAdeMO adapters and charging equipment are still available and apparently still useful to some Tesla drivers, especially in more out-of-the-way areas and for cars not yet able to use CCS equipment. But even that use will eventually diminish. We all now see how once an idea catches on, today's technology changes rapidly. In point of fact, North America has two real on-the-road DC charging standards now (CCS and Tesla), and by the look of things will have just one within the next 10 to 20 years, if not sooner.
_____
* As you point out, for Models S & X that used to be the Type 2/Mennekes plug and corresponding port, which (like the NA plug) conveniently handled both AC and DC charging. Too bad that other manufacturers couldn't or wouldn't adopt that standard for their electric cars in those regions.

Last edited:
You're doing this dishonest rhetorical technique here based on your bias. CHAdeMO is dying off everywhere; that's just reality. But you acknowledge CHAdeMO disappearing in other parts of the world to try to present the idea that they are better, while dishonestly pretending that it's not happening in America, so you can criticize it. That's not true.

It’s a question of the size of the base. As you know, Australia was slow in EV uptake which means we never gained a large embedded base of different plug types before CCS2 became the defacto standard. Which, by the way, we can thank Tesla for when it picked CCS2 for Model 3.

CHAdeMO and CCS1 can’t be ignored in DCFC build in the USA any time soon without a lot of people getting very angry that their EV - a quite expensive asset - has now been neutered. Adding the TPC to the mix means public network builders will need to now install 3 different plugs at sites instead of 2. I don’t see that as a step forward 🤷‍♂️