Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla charged me $70 to screw on lug nuts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's extremely difficult to strip 20 lug nuts unless the lug nuts were made of bad metal. If you use the wrong sized socket, you'll know on the first one and you wouldn't continue using it on the rest. If you used the correct size socket, you'll break the studs before the nuts will strip. I'm kinda skeptical that they were stripped at all.
============================

Tesla lug nuts are very fragile. The thin steel cover that caps the nut is very easily distorted. The description itself indicates the nuts were not "stripped", the conventional definition of which refers to threads, but rather that the thin steel cap was distorted. I can't understand why Tesla is still supplying these crappy nuts, when there are solid nuts which are almost impervious to damage. I changed both of our cars some time ago -- and Tesla whined that they were not OEM and that it might, in some unspecified way, "void my warranty".

Since they should have been rotating your wheels/tires as part of the service there shouldn't be a second charge for the lug nut 'labor', it was going to have to be done anyway. Definately would want my money back on that at least. Did they give you the old lug nuts? If not, you can complain about that too as I believe they're required to offer them to you. Then you could look to see just how bad they were for yourself and decide if that was a gouge. Hate to see this, seems more and more complaints.

Since they should have been rotating your wheels/tires as part of the service there shouldn't be a second charge for the lug nut 'labor', it was going to have to be done anyway. Definately would want my money back on that at least. Did they give you the old lug nuts? If not, you can complain about that too as I believe they're required to offer them to you. Then you could look to see just how bad they were for yourself and decide if that was a gouge. Hate to see this, seems more and more complaints.

No rotation here, I had the new tires put on by third party shop that morning (255/45R19 Pirelli Cinturado P7 All Season Plus) then drove it straight over to tesla to replace the control arms and do service and alignment.

Yes I have the old lugs will post pics later.

The description itself indicates the nuts were not "stripped", the conventional definition of which refers to threads, but rather that the thin steel cap was distorted. I can't understand why Tesla is still supplying these crappy nuts, when there are solid nuts which are almost impervious to damage. I changed both of our cars some time ago -- and Tesla whined that they were not OEM and that it might, in some unspecified way, "void my warranty".

When tesla called me, they said "all 20 lug nuts were stripped" over the phone. That implied to me the threading inside the lug which I thought would be very bad for the wheels/tires/alignment/dangerous. Obviously the service receipt says "worn" instead and came to find out that it was just the nut on the outside that was "worn". I would not have replaced them if I knew that.

Yikes!

I've heard two things about Tesla Service: 1) Elon has stated that he does not want Service to be a "profit center" for Tesla and, 2) that the service technicians rate of pay is similar to, if not a bit under what others make at traditional dealerships.

If this is true, a $70 labor fee to install a set of lug-nuts seems to fly in the face of that.

Given that the company is technically not generating a profit the claim of service not being a profit center is more marketing than anything beneficial to customers. They can charge whatever they want and still claim they are not generating profit. As cars go out of warranty what seems to be the case is that a Model S is turning out to be at least as expensive as other high end premium cars to maintain considering the service and repair costs/

- - - Updated - - -

Yikes, looks like I am going to have to save a significant amount of money for future service visits after my CPO warranty runs out.... Oh well, I was planning on going on a diet anyway...

Peace,

Father Bill

This is why I've always found it really odd that they refuse to sell an extended warranty on CPO cars. If we decide to go the CPO route we might opt instead for buying private party for the benefit of a longer warranty period as I don't think we'd want to own a Model S out of warranty.

I assume they were responding to a call from you? They didn't just see this thread and call you right?
It wouldn't be the first time. I've received at least 2 (maybe 3) calls from Tesla about something I posted here. On at least one occasion I'm pretty sure I got special treatment because of it ("Corporate says to take care of this, whatever it takes.").

I'm careful what I say now, especially if something that is corporate's fault can be construed as me having a complaint with my SC. Don't want to get my SC in trouble for something that's not their fault.

@yobigd20: that's lots of miles! Running from the law, are we? I haven't seen you on "Cops - Wildest Police Chases" but I'll start looking...

Our Yogi is a busy Yogi :)

yogi_basket_run.png

II'm careful what I say now, especially if something that is corporate's fault can be construed as me having a complaint with my SC. Don't want to get my SC in trouble for something that's not their fault.

Me too, and I agree with the sentiment. I've always received outstanding, over the top local service myself and I hope my comments are not seen as "negative" but rather as "constructive criticism" of overall corporate policies.

I would ask them for revised service paperwork showing that you received the correct service.

I've had to ask for corrected paperwork myself. Once they told me they did an alignment but there was nothing on the order. I called really just because I wondered if it was actually done or not and they assured me it was and sent out a new service order. I'm sorta fussy about keeping detailed records on my cars.

Update: Tesla contacted me and assured me the correct 100k service was applied and coolants flushed etc but it just shows up on the receipt as 62k.

Also they are refunding me the $70 labor for the lug nuts.

That's really great to hear. I hope they implemented something SC-wide so that future customers would not be charged like this... It seems whoever decided to charge for this was looking to bill customers for anything they can get away with whether it is reasonable or not...