Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla charged me $70 to screw on lug nuts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Service is inconsistent so a very simple reason - people working at Tesla SC are coming from other dealerships and simply carry over the policy to gauge customers and that's normal practice to charge for the smallest thing.

I remember on one of my trucks couple years ago I was charged $285 for a light bulb replacement in the rear stoplight, the bulb itself costs $3-5 depending where you buy it, the rest was unknown to me, obviously the dealership came up with an excuse for the labor charge.

Service is inconsistent so a very simple reason - people working at Tesla SC are coming from other dealerships and simply carry over the policy to gauge customers and that's normal practice to charge for the smallest thing.

I remember on one of my trucks couple years ago I was charged $285 for a light bulb replacement in the rear stoplight, the bulb itself costs $3-5 depending where you buy it, the rest was unknown to me, obviously the dealership came up with an excuse for the labor charge.

heh, Chevy tried to charge me $145 to replace a $9 front headlight on a camaro once.

I had my M3 into BMW dealer for over $2k worth of brake work.

Asked about replacing the broken center cup holder. The one that simply snaps in with a slight squeeze on the side.

They wanted $80 labor (30 minutes) plus the $30 for the part.

The service rep wouldn't even just leave it on the seat. Had to wait in a second line picking up the car for parts.

It wouldn't be the first time. I've received at least 2 (maybe 3) calls from Tesla about something I posted here. On at least one occasion I'm pretty sure I got special treatment because of it ("Corporate says to take care of this, whatever it takes.").

I'm careful what I say now, especially if something that is corporate's fault can be construed as me having a complaint with my SC. Don't want to get my SC in trouble for something that's not their fault.
Me too, and I agree with the sentiment. I've always received outstanding, over the top local service myself and I hope my comments are not seen as "negative" but rather as "constructive criticism" of overall corporate policies.

I also do not want to get my SvC in trouble for stuff like this as, personally at least, it feels to me as bad "policies" given to the SvC rather than the SvC itself. That said, I do not have the impression they get told "Corporate says to take care of this, whatever it takes", b/c then I'd be a happy camper at this point!

I set an alarm for 5:07p. Better not be late!

Pretty crazy they charged labor for that. Presumably this lug nut issue was discovered because they had the wheels off anyway. Were they not planning to put your wheels back on?

That's 0.4hr (24 mins) at our SC's $175/hr rate. That's a stupid long amount of time to install lug nuts in the first place, even if the labor charge itself was warranted (and it wasn't, IMO).

a00842e3f8d361c51a197c0098a528f9.jpg

0de0c8e019ad38e98a1f3bca4ffad930.jpg

48420e8e48192ee2d944234e957ee2e0.jpg

ad5908a09854930474052408e8932f72.jpg

0793000acc8e5c006bc8c15e866f1382.jpg