Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Charger Gen 3 - Outside Installation & Corrosion?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious, has anyone installed a Tesla Gen 3 charger close (within 2-3 miles) to the Gulf/Ocean? Curious about corrosion and potential issues? Housing is plastic, front is glass?

Nothing specific mentioned in the user manual, but curious what others have done? Any advice?

The whole thing is sealed, so the outside air doesn't matter too much. I'm sure it "breathes" a little but that's all in the design.

I've seen threads about "what if you are in a tropical rain forest" or "getting hit with sea water", but 2-3 miles from the sea is not a particular challenge.

Reactions: interfx
The front glass unit is held on to the wiring block by the two little screws on the top and bottom. If you remove these, you can separate the two and see that its just a plastic on plastic block with blade connectors making the connection inside. The shape looks like its designed to keep rain out, but I'm not sure how well it would handle salt spray over time.

It may be worth looking into adding dielectric grease to these connections when installing near the ocean.

Reactions: interfx