Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla charger in my home town

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a little town in central Maryland, Mount Airy. Population 9,000. I was surprised this morning to see three EV chargers at the town parking lot. See below.

Just to the left, out of the picture, were two charging stations that I'm guessing had the J1772 connectors. I think the name said Electrify America, but I didn't take a picture of them.

I'm guessing the town installed this Tesla wall connector.

IMG_5574.jpeg

Reactions: CapsEngineer
I live in a little town in central Maryland, Mount Airy. Population 9,000. I was surprised this morning to see three EV chargers at the town parking lot. See below.

Just to the left, out of the picture, were two charging stations that I'm guessing had the J1772 connectors. I think the name said Electrify America, but I didn't take a picture of them.

I'm guessing the town installed this Tesla wall connector.

View attachment 664221

Is this it on Plugshare?
IMG_1506.jpeg

Yes...that's it. Plugshare. I'll have to look that up.

We've only used home charging in our two months of ownership, but planning for the day we take a trip and will need to know about destination charging.

Two months is all I've had mine as well.

There is a destination charger at G&M that, if you like crabcakes, would make a delicious short road trip from Mt. Airy.

Reactions: DeltaOne
Likely, that HPWC was donated by Tesla as part of their Destination Charging program. They gave away thousands of them and subsidized installation up to $1,500 per unit. A lot of smaller towns and cities got some as a result.

Reactions: DeltaOne
Yes...that's it. Plugshare. I'll have to look that up.

We've only used home charging in our two months of ownership, but planning for the day we take a trip and will need to know about destination charging.

I'm a bit unclear. Is the Tesla charger in the town parking lot a destination charger? That's level 2 and not of much use unless you are hanging around for a while... unless you are nearly out of electrons and need a charge, any charge (that happened to me in the back waters of South Carolina, a library lot had one of two chargers working and saved my butt).

The Plugshare description is pretty much null other than the CCS and Chademo which are 50 kW. I can't see the reason to have a Tesla level 2 since all Teslas can use a J1772 connector with the adapter that came with the car. Making it a Tesla unit just prevents it from being shared.

For some reason this facility is showing up on my ABRP plan as an option. I've told it to not show destination chargers. Oh, it is showing a 150 kW "SuC" charger. I wonder if ABRP has it wrong in the data base or did they add a Supercharger?