Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Charger inside, charging outside?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I just bought the $500 Tesla charger to install inside my garage. In the future, I’ll buy a shed to move all my garage stuff to, but for now Inwill need to keep my M3 outside. I have read someone notched the ground under the garage slightly to put the charger cable under it to charge outside. Do many people do this? Any down side? Also, instead of opening and closing the garage door multiple times a day, I would want to keep the charging cord outside the garage, either hung or in a box. Thoughts?

You can hang the cable outside, the whole wall connector is rated to be installed outside so no worries, just hang it in a way the plug is not filling with snow or water.

If you use a box or what have you us up to you. Hose hanger can work.

Unrelated, Grandparents lived in Holmdel for 45years

Hi,
I just bought the $500 Tesla charger to install inside my garage. In the future, I’ll buy a shed to move all my garage stuff to, but for now Inwill need to keep my M3 outside. I have read someone notched the ground under the garage slightly to put the charger cable under it to charge outside. Do many people do this? Any down side? Also, instead of opening and closing the garage door multiple times a day, I would want to keep the charging cord outside the garage, either hung or in a box. Thoughts?

Hi, i am doing the same thing. The install should be finished today & i will let you know how it worked out. The reason why i was placing the Wall Connector inside is when we replace SUV in future that my wife uses, hopefully it will be Tesla. This way we can use it Wall Connector for Car parked outside and inside

We occasionally charge outside. I've got a couple shims of wood slightly thicker than the cable I place on either side before closing the garage door so it won't push directly on the cable, they're still thin enough the door thinks it's closed and didn't hit an obstruction.

Right now if we unplug for a few hours I just coil the cable up and set the plug so the open end is facing downhill. Longer than that or if the weather's going to be really bad I'll hang it back up inside.

FYI, Tesla sells a holder that can be used for the UMC and likely the Wall Connector cable as well (it is a holster I think). Might be useful for this install.

Be sure not to crush the cable in the garage door... That could be an expeneisve mistake or at worst dangerous.

You don’t really want a crack under the door since critters can get in. The Wall Connector cable is pretty thick.

I have heard of others chipping out a notch in the concrete. This seems like perhaps the least un-optimal solution.

I've used the UMC plugged inside with the S85 outside for 5.75 years. No problems but I did cut a groove in the cement so that the cable wouldn't be crushed.
Cut.jpg
UMC_bracket.1.jpg

I typically will charge the car inside the garage but when I want to charge with the car outside I use the “small piece of wood / shin” suggestion. Just a little bigger than the cord so the cord is not crushed by the Garage door and it works great.

I was thinking of cutting a small circular opening in the door and then making some sort of swing away cover so I could feed the charging cable through the garage door but then I realized that someone may inadvertently open the garage door while the cable is through it and that could be a disaster.

So went back to the charging inside / using a small shim solution for charging outside.

Does anyone store the cord outside in a water proof/resistant enclosure? If so, please share links and or pics of that they bought/built.

Thanks for the posts!

I've got an extension cord run to my UMC outside of my apartment. The end of the cord and the UMC both are contained in one of these. It seems to work pretty great at keeping the water out.

I'll grab photos tomorrow once the sun is out.

• Informative
Reactions: spaghetti
Installed one of my HPWC in an enclosure (tool box I got at Home Depot) that sits against the house out of plain view. Used some PVC pipe and a connector as a cable holder. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow. I choose to not provide a way for critters to get in the garage.

I re-purposed two pieces of my son's lego set and superglued them on the floor at the inside edge where the garage door meets the floor. The 2 pieces create a channel for the cable to run thru. I then bought a weather foam strip and superglued it to the entire length of the garage door (at the outside edge) to hide the gap and so critters and rain water won't get in.

Hi,
I just drilled a 2" hole through my garage wall and put ABS tube through it. Connector and cable pass through fine. It's great.

No one seems to have posted the link to the Tesla product that allows you to hang the connector outside.

Model S/X/3 Cable Organizer

1022771-00-A_alt.jpg

I got mine the week before the car arrived and used a masonry bit to drill thru the wall. The car is MOSTLY outside as if I want to park it inside I have to swap cars and I prefer to drive the Model 3 than park it in the garage. I should notch the cement, but then I would have to do the same for my wife's J1772, so boards placed under the door on both sides protects our cords.

I have the HPWC at our cabin with the 25' cord so there I use a smaller piece of wood that I can remove when done charging. If I leave the door propped open even a bit I get critters crawling in to check out the warmth so the cord goes back in the garage afterwards. I am more tempted to leave the cabin's Jeep outside and charge the Tesla inside as the pine sap is not easy to clean off.

-Randy