TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Charger Installation: Driveway Ideas??

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Bytor, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Bytor

Bytor Member

I know there is a thread on garage installations but I’m planning on putting the charger by the driveway. Did a quick google search and found a few neat ideas but thought I’d put it out there to see if anyone has tackled this project lately. I’m getting my model 3 on Thursday and have already run the cable (hoping this might save me some money on installation costs). Will work on it this weekend. BTW any recommendations for installers are welcome-I’m in Mississauga.

Here’s one I’m leaning towards.

9E07ADF1-45C1-419A-920F-8DA5300AE50E.png

• Like x 2
  2. McCaesar

McCaesar Member

I used JML Electric. They were good with a competitive quote and on the certified list for Tesla

I have my charger installed on the wall next to my driveway, but that post looks cool.

3. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Very nice and if so inclined add the charger to PluShare as I have met several nice people that way.

4. funix

funix Member

Are they weather-proof/ water-proof??? That's a whole lot of electrical power to allow exposure to the elements... not to mention possibility of damage while outside a garage.

5. 5_+JqckQttqck

5_+JqckQttqck Active Member

NA model is IP44 (ugggg - you may want to protect this one).

EU model is IP55, don't go hosing it down or submerging it into a pool ;). If you're serious though, you can home make an IP67 enclosure fairly easily or simply build a small wood roof to protect from rain.

IP Ratings; What is IP69K? Questions and Answers | Avery Weigh-Tronix

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/wall-connector-eu/tesla-32a-wall-connector-installation-manual-en-EU-v1.pdf
    upload_2018-8-31_11-17-32.png

6. Bytor

Bytor Member

Interesting! Thanks for the information!

7. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

Here is a link to my DIY drive way installation:

Charging

8. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

They are not waterproof, if they get submerged - but then if that's happening you've probably got a whole lot of other problems to boot. However, they are water and weather resistant. I've had mine mounted outside for a couple of years now and never had a problem - even when the evestrough got backed up in the last major rainstorm and basically was dumping water right on top of the charger. Don't forget it's on a circuit breaker, so the odds of everything going wrong is very small.

• Informative x 2
  9. Bytor

Bytor Member

Nice! Saw this in a google search. Have u had any issues with the elements and your charger?

10. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

My original charger developed a cracked plastic connector. I just wanted to replace the cord but Tesla insisted on sending an electrician with a brand new version 2 charger at no cost. This cracked connector was due to a heat problem and not the elements.

• Like x 1
  11. Corbot

Corbot New Member

Nice job.